Reloading supplies Storage

Northof51

FNG
I haven’t found a specific thread on storage so I’ll start a new one. I’m starting into reloading on my own soon and don’t have room in the house for keeping components. I have an attached garage that I keep at 46 degrees in the winter and probably gets up to 75 in the summer
Is this too much of a temp swing for storing primers and powder?

49ereric

WKR
I haven’t found a specific thread on storage so I’ll start a new one. I’m starting into reloading on my own soon and don’t have room in the house for keeping components. I have an attached garage that I keep at 46 degrees in the winter and probably gets up to 75 in the summer
Should be ok. My basement runs close to those temps. Keep the powder and primers on the bottom shelf in the garage If no flooding potential.

Not at all, have seen primers and powder loaded and used reliably that has been stored in a wider temperature range especially higher temps closer to 90. It will be fine, I’d be more concerned about humidity

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
Thanks for the replies, humidity doesn’t get too bad in the summer. Usually have a fan going, good to know about bottom shelf.
I snuck in the conversion to Fahrenheit…. I’m a bit north of you guys but I remember some comments about our metric system from another thread!🤣

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
What about keeping your powder in 50-cal ammo cans with a reusable dessicant packet. That way external conditions don't matter and your powder will remain bone dry.

49ereric

WKR
Thanks for the replies, humidity doesn’t get too bad in the summer. Usually have a fan going, good to know about bottom shelf.
I snuck in the conversion to Fahrenheit…. I’m a bit north of you guys but I remember some comments about our metric system from another thread!🤣
0°C = 32°F & -40°C = -40°F 😆 about all I know

sdupontjr

WKR
I thought I didn't have room either. Not sure how much you have, but I built a small compact little bench that sits in the corner of my game / CPU room. Some of my powders are on the shelf, while some is in plastic ammo containers below. No need to worry about climate issues.
20230722_185056.jpg 20230722_185109.jpg 20230722_185104.jpg

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
What about keeping your powder in 50-cal ammo cans with a reusable dessicant packet. That way external conditions don't matter and your powder will remain bone dry.
That’s something I might look at. I’ve got a large wooden cupboard in the garage for storage and can add desiccant packs in there as well.

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
I thought I didn't have room either. Not sure how much you have, but I built a small compact little bench that sits in the corner of my game / CPU room. Some of my powders are on the shelf, while some is in plastic ammo containers below. No need to worry about climate issues.
View attachment 672396 View attachment 672397 View attachment 672398
That’s a really organized setup👍. I have a bench setup in a separate workshop that should work fine but doesn’t always have heat on so won’t work for components.

sdupontjr

WKR
personally that would not worry me but the alternative would be to use a plastic copy of an ammo can. humidity is a constant problem
Thats what I use, all plastic. Plus being where I live where the humidity it 100% damn near year-round, metal will rust.

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
Thanks, that had crossed my mind as a problem!! I’m looking at a reusable canister to have in the cabinet but humidity hasn’t ever been too bad, never have tools rust in there

Attachments

• IMG_2498.png
    IMG_2498.png
    911.5 KB · Views: 15

logem

FNG
You'll be fine to store in your garage without any other preparations beyond keeping the powder sealed in original containers, and possibly taking an extra precautionary step of keeping the primers in plastic food storage containers.

Extreme seasonal temperature swings are not an issue as long as powder an primers aren't stored above 100F for extended periods. Keeping temps below 90F is significantly better. Heat is worse for powder and primers than extreme cold temperatures.

As mentioned, humidity is of more concern.

I've stored powder and primers in a garage for over 20 years without ill effect in Houston. Luckily, I now live in New Mexico where the temperature swings are greater but the humidity is low.