Reloading info tools

I am wanting to get into reloading. What manuals are good to pick up or get online. Right now will only be for 30-06. What are some good programs/apps for data and keeping track of loads that I make up? Also to play around with different loadings "virtually" before actually loading?

I have read my Speer #11 about 30 times in 35 years (first 50 pages, before all the load data pages). There are some excellent "tips" in those manuals. Online resources are cool, but it's nice to have a REAL book to fall back on (to "check" those online loads tossed around). Powders keep changing though so maybe look into a later edition.

The good thing is you are getting into THE most reloaded round on earth! Should be PLENTY of resources (and supplies) available for the old '06. Good luck!

I've had good results with the loads highlighted in red boxes in the Hornady manual (picture). They seem like they would be maximum loads, but they often do not match the max loads on Hornady's own website, and in double-checking with other manuals I've found some are much lower than max. I think they may do some sort of OCW testing to develop the ones in red. When I first started reloading I spent a lot of time trying different powders and weights and ladder tests in a couple cartridges, but rarely bettered the red loads for the amount of effort. So now I usually just work up the Hornady red loads with a couple bullets in a given weight, and maybe a second powder to see what the gun likes. I still use other manuals to double-check, but use the Hornady one the most.

If you need an out of the ordinary load, like very light bullets for a youth load, the Lee manual has the most powders and bullet weights listed of my manuals, and has powder density too. But it's so much faster I usually just try to find something that will work in the Hornady manual.

Attachments

• Hornady_red.jpg
    Hornady_red.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 14
I really like my Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, tons of different load data for a wide variety of calibers, even have a few loads for subsonic .308. Never messed with any online or apps though

I’d forget about the apps. Choose your bullet(s), use the published data from that maker and load up starting on the lower side.

If/when you get a chrono the ballistic apps are good as a starting place for drop and drift. To keep track of loads I develop I just jot them down in a notebook that lives on my loading bench. You could just as easily save then in an Excel or Word file.

I used Gordon's Reloading Tools app for a bit, but it's numbers were quite a bit off from my velocities (and pressure signs though that's not a great metric). It seems very much in works still, I wouldn't trust it very far at all. But if you're looking for a toy to run some what ifs that aren't in any manual, it's kinda fun.

I'd stick with a paper manual for actual data (or dare I say it, forums for wildcats etc). I've got Lyman's but haven't tried others.

Buy a reloading manual and read the front section a few times. Lyman, Hornady, Speer, and Nosler all have good ones. I am sure there are others, but I have personal experience with these.

As for tracking loads, I have found that Excel is my best tool. I take a notebook with me to the range for notes, take a pic of the group, and then just put everything into excel after the range session. I can pull it up on my laptop or iPad when I need to reference it later.

Any published manual has everything you need to get started. The best resource is someone who can sit and mentor you on it. In addition to my own reading, I’ve had several good people who have sat with me for hours and given me excellent hands-on teaching while reloading.

Back