Should reloading inventory or a rokstock take priority?

I had a rokstock on order and cancelled it due to funds availability this year (medical bills hooray). I can now reorder the stock if I desire, or maybe get the cheaper stockys tikka vg.

I'm a little nervous on component availability due to the election year and wars, so I was considering getting reloading components instead of a stock. Maybe another jug of powder and a couple thousand extra primers. My goal has been to work up towards a 5 year stock for each caliber.

On hand, I've got about

600 6.5mm bullets, 600 30 cal bullets
3000 SRP, 2500 LRP
13 lbs h4350, 1 staball 6.5, 1 h4831sc, 1 hunter
Not worried about brass
An extra 308 win barrel
An extra 30-06 barrel

I try to shoot at least 25 rounds a week, sometimes 50, but sometimes miss some weeks.

What would you do? Rokstock, or stockys Tikka vg, or components? I'm leaning towards components.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been building more reloading inventory and getting the rifles I shoot set up like I want. To do that I have been liquidating little used rifles and gear.

Priority for me is reloading and really nice gear.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Reloading component availability will come and go. A lot can change in 5 years, but you can enjoy a new stock now. It is also easier to add reloading components a small bit at a time (unless you really want everything to be the same lot).

Sell everything 30-06 and have money for both with the 308 being your 30 cal. I've sold 3 rifles over the past 6 months. Decided I would rather get a few things set up how I wanted, then use them hard; over having a bunch of things that were not what I really wanted and that almost never got used. I'm probably about to sell some handguns too.

OP
H
I have been building more reloading inventory and getting the rifles I shoot set up like I want. To do that I have been liquidating little used rifles and gear.

Priority for me is reloading and really nice gear.

I offloaded a very nice rifle earlier this year that I just couldn't justify keeping for any reason other than it being awesome.

I've got a great shooting cz 457 17hmr that I've considered selling, but with it having the capability of barrel switching to 22lr... I don't think I can liquidate that. Everyone needs a 22!

OP
H
Reloading component availability will come and go. A lot can change in 5 years, but you can enjoy a new stock now. It is also easier to add reloading components a small bit at a time (unless you really want everything to be the same lot).

Sell everything 30-06 and have money for both with the 308 being your 30 cal. I've sold 3 rifles over the past 6 months. Decided I would rather get a few things set up how I wanted, then use them hard; over having a bunch of things that were not what I really wanted and that almost never got used. I'm probably about to sell some handguns too.

My 30-06 and 308 barrels are just factory Tikka takeoffs, with the '06 having 1000 rounds. I don't have any 308 dies or powder and my '06 dies are Lee. So, not worth much.

My main hunting rifle is a 30-284AI, but it's out of commission due to needing a rechamber and a new sizing die made.

I like to keep my two cartridges similar in powder needs, so I'd planned to keep my 30-284 and '06 as my main larger cal reloaders. The 308 is just an extra.

I see what you're saying about components vs stock though. I'm just a little gunshy from the covid empty shelves and just started reloading a year before that hit. So I haven't experienced the full cycle

Reloading components for sure! Then put the stocky’s stock on PayPal credit. 😂

Last edited:
OP
H
Reloading components for sure! Then put the stocky’s stick on PayPal credit. 😂
Ha! I have been pretty honest with my wife on my hunting spending recently. She's smarter than me and is good with finances. I'd be in a deep hole without her keeping me in check

chindits

WKR
Reloading components for the long game

You can still shoot like you always have without a Rokstock or a can or a scope you can drop on the ground multiple times

You can’t train to hunt or hunt with dwindling components because of the next unplanned world crisis that everyone will blame what ever political party they love to hate

Ooh that’s a tough one. Personally I prefer to have the components on hand to burn out a barrel with whatever load is working..although now with a .223 as my daily driver that’s a bit tougher to accomplish. I’d say your stash is a little bit light on the actual projectiles..it was a PIA to find specific bullets during Covid and if you ran out that might be it for awhile unless willing to feed the scalpers. Who knows what the election cycle will do..

Dented

WKR
Reloading components. I've never seen a shortage of rifle stocks. Try finding primers, or your favorite powder. That's an election year nightmare.

i've been making a concerted effort to buy powder/primers in matched quantities, i.e. if i get a jug of powder, that same day i'm also getting enough primers of the correct size to burn that powder with the load I plan on shooting. Ideally I can close the loop and add the projectiles at the same time too, but if not the projectiles for that powder/primer jumps to the top of my wishlist. I also think about barrel life, and try to have a barrel life's worth of components on-hand within a year of getting the barrel.
From what I've observed over the past few years, here's the list of hardest things to get to easiest:
IMR 8208 XBR
SWFA 3-9
Nosler Accubonds
Sierra 6.5 or 22 cal TMKs
Large rifle primers
Extruded powder
Small rifle primers
SWFA 6x mil
ball powder
SWFA 5-20 and 3-15
Any nightforce
Any trijicon
Any stock
When I have disposable cash, I try to snag whatever of the rarest stuff is that I need is actually in stock.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
reloading components, especially powder and primers are going to become very difficult to find this year according to the ammo manufacturers we talked to at SHOT. even mid-sized manufacturers are worried about their ability to produce ammo. covid already made their prices skyrocket, like 3x and 4x what our distributor price was in 2020. i dont see the prices ever coming down.

you wait long enough for a rokstock you might even find one used for less.....

Imo Always spend money on ammo

But you don’t need to stockpile crazy amounts you won’t actually use.

That’s how we get clockwork shortages, shooters constantly freak out and buy all the supply and then fulfill their own prophecy