Reloading 2.0 Guidance Requested

Firth

FNG
Well, I'll just have to take your word for that. Flap Sander to "finish a barrel" is something PRS and other competition shooters just wouldn't do, EVER!!
There's a lot of things people do because "that's the way it's always been done". Some of those things hold up under testing and some are shown to be unnecessary. Big Stick takes particular satisfaction in going against the grain on things that have always been done a particular way. He's been posting up itty-bitty groups from hacksawed and otherwise violated barrels for probably two decades. The funny thing is, he has a Manson crowning tool kit.

CatManDo

FNG
Maybe he should be more conventional and use the Manson. His example of using a hacksaw is poor technique and prone to getting others to adapt his no frills ways.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
But why if the flap sander finished crown shoots?

Why are incremental charges “good technique”, because that’s what others do so you just figure it’s correct?

CatManDo

FNG
Come on man; you have 187 posts, you should know something!
As far as incremental charges go; it's called "doing a ladder test" to see if you happen upon a load that shoots great in your rifle; ie. finding a node. Same as changing seating depth.
As far as the flap sander goes, if you're able to get the end of the barrel dead nuts square, no prob. There is such a thing as influencing the bullet path by having an uneven crown. When the bullet leaves the bore there will be uneven pressures on the bullet causing a change in stability.

CatManDo

FNG
You must have me confused with someone else. I don't recall mentioning anything about 3 shot groups or shooting nodes. I simply stated factual information that works otherwise national champ F Class shooters wouldn't do it either.
Grow up Shirley.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
I value my hands/face/eyesight more than I value components, so in that regard I'll continue starting low and working up slowly any time I'm working with an unknown, whether that unknown is a new barrel, new components, or the same components from a different lot number. If others think that's foolish or wasteful, or just following "the way it's been done" I don't care. To each their own.

SDHNTR

WKR
I value my hands/face/eyesight more than I value components, so in that regard I'll continue starting low and working up slowly any time I'm working with an unknown, whether that unknown is a new barrel, new components, or the same components from a different lot number. If others think that's foolish or wasteful, or just following "the way it's been done" I don't care. To each their own.
Of course. No one is advising against working up safely. But ladders and nodes and seating depths, bla bla bla. I got better things to do.

logem

FNG
The OP was asking about how to get back into reloading economically and simply without having to worry about every detail, and how to accomplish this. It seems that the topic has been covered adequately.

But now the discussion has gotten so off-track that it is a train wreck. I don't post frequent, as seen by my post count, but this thread is atypical of this forum. Usually, questions are answered on-point and with legible sentences by very well experienced, articulate, and respectful people. That's what drew me to this site.

SDHNTR

WKR
The OP was asking about how to get back into reloading economically and simply without having to worry about every detail, and how to accomplish this. It seems that the topic has been covered adequately.

But now the discussion has gotten so off-track that it is a train wreck. I don't post frequent, as seen by my post count, but this thread is atypical of this forum. Usually, questions are answered on-point and with legible sentences by very well experienced, articulate, and respectful people. That's what drew me to this site.
You’re right. And that was actually done. I’ll try too.

Load to find pressure. Kiss, or back off to mag length, and shoot, 10+ shot groups. If you don’t like results, change the powder or the bullet and repeat until you get what you are looking for.

Last edited:

logem

FNG
You’re right. And that was actually done. I’ll try too.

Load to find pressure. Kiss, or back off to mag length, and shoot, 10+ shot groups. If you don’t like results, change the powder or the bullet and repeat until you get what you are looking for.
Agreed. All good suggestions. I will bow out now. Thanks for summarizing.