Rechambering Rem 700LA 270Win for lower recoil and great "heavy for caliber" hunting performance. What caliber?

TaperPin

WKR
I have a 6.5 creed barrel for my long action Rem 700. Adding a spacer block to the rear of magazine box and using a short action follower is commonly done for reliable feeding with a short cartridge in a long action. A 6.5 prs fits better in a long action than short, but it will recoil like a 270.

A 270 with custom reamer will shoot every bit as good as the creedmore. The changes made to the chamber of the Creedmoor that allow it to shoot good are simply less slop around the neck, less slop in the throat, and different angle going from the throat to rifling. There’s also slightly less room between the case and chamber. Hornady has done a good job of marketing and commercialization of the Creedmoor, prs, and arc cartridges, but the changes made have been available for decades for any cartridge if a special reamer is used. I’m not saying the changes aren’t good, or that there Is anything wrong with them - get the one you like.

4D157B0B-DD2B-45AE-A850-460C6FCE142F.jpeg1682E86E-9C44-4D37-996E-DBA56F112F09.jpeg

jimh406

WKR
270 in a different barrel with faster twist if you want to shoot heavier bullets. 25-06 if you want less kick. 30-06 will give you a lot of bullet options. 280AI gives you multiple options as well.

But really, there are an almost infinite number of calibers that can fit in a long action. If you run a suppressor, you have more options since the kick will be less.

240 Weatherby feeds slick as snot out of a long action 700 and the bolt face is right
Twist it 8 inches and not much will shoot flatter or faster and wind resistance will be stellar

Wrench

WKR
I've built a few on long actions. It's just a waste of space....but 100% functional.

A 25-06 twisted for heavies with the new selection of pills can be pretty impressive.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Sure am glad the internet was not around when I started. I’ve used a .270 all over North America from as north as you can go in Alaska to as south as you can go in Arizona. And it has killed everything from the smallest antelope to the largest moose, with more than a few ptarmigan and jackrabbits…

I’d put a faster twist barrel on it and keep it as close to how my dad gave it to me as possible, go forth, and slay.

There is no shortage of fantastic factory .270 Win ammo and it would be very, very easy to come up with some low recoil loads for practice; Remington had just that marketed for women and children not long ago.