Best caliber and bullet for African Hunt

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
It’s South Africa, 99.9% of the game is High fenced. I have been twice and have bowhunted for the challenge.

With a rifle it’s a shoot.. you can take as long of a shot as you want; glass the animal, drive away and back up on a hill til you hit 1000yds to claim your 1K kill 😝

If you go to the “proper” African hunting forum you would be encouraged to get a double rifle (very expensive) with open sights and hunt the traditional way.
" High fenced " ? Does that mean that mean that the animals are fenced in a large enclosure or something?

It means that the properties are fenced in. Its partly because of the value of the animals, and partly to keep poachers out. A lot of properties are thousands of acres to many thousands of acers.

The quality of the hunt will vary a lot depending on the property. But its not a bunch of animals in a small pen.

Wrench

WKR
I'd be asking what ammo is available in the event of a luggage snafu. 375h&h and 300win are available more places than new botique rounds.

I'd be asking what ammo is available in the event of a luggage snafu. 375h&h and 300win are available more places than new botique rounds.
Yes, that can be a real issue. One time I flew from Joburg to Uppington on a short domestic flight. I was travelling with a 308 Baer (full length 300 WBY sized case, blown out with a 35 degree shoulder). My friend was with me on his first hunt and he travelled with his 300WM. When we arrived at our destination, my friends rifle was there in the airport, but his suitcase was missing, including his ammo.

We were able to continue on with our hunt as our PH had 300WM on the property, so we could just resight and go. But if it had of been my ammo that went missing, I would not have found ammo on the African continent.

What about single shots? It would be fun to get a Ruger #1 in .375 Ruger or build an Encore in .375 H&H.
Absolutely. That is way more affordable than a double. You can save expensive the big bore double for a free range Elephant or buffalo in the future - Zimbabwe is affordable, the rest get pricey

" High fenced " ? Does that mean that mean that the animals are fenced in a large enclosure or something?
Yes. Like Texas but on a much bigger scale. As mentioned areas can be small breeding pens to vast tens of thousand acres. However the fences does make it a known quantity- the animals are there and ultimately can’t leave (with some exceptions)

This is why SA is able to keep prices down and quality high, at the expense of “free fair chase”. Also why you can shoot such a variety in one area where naturally not everything occurs there.

It still a great experience as long as you are aware. Every operator has their own setup. Some are put and take, others are self sustaining and everything in between.

I have been to a few “wild” free range areas in Zimbabwe and Cameroon and it is way more difficult. Africa is a poor crowded 3rd world continent and poaching, cattle grazing and human encroachment all takes it toll on wildlife

Last edited:

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Like Texas but on a much bigger scale. As mentioned areas can be small breeding pens to vast tens of thousand acres. However the fences does make it a known quantity- the animals are there and ultimately can’t leave (with some exceptions)

This is why SA is able to keep prices down and quality high, at the expense of “free fair chase”. Also why you can shoot such a variety in one area where naturally not everything occurs there.

It still a great experience as long as you are aware. Every operator has their own setup. Some are put and take, others are self sustaining and everything in between.

I have been to a few “wild” free range areas in Zimbabwe and Cameroon and it is way more difficult. Africa is a poor crowded 3rd world continent and poaching, cattle grazing and human encroachment all takes it toll on wildlife
Just one person`s opinion, mind, but that`s not "hunting ".....just " shooting ". Why not just tie a rope around their necks and stake them out?

WCB

WKR
Just one person`s opinion, mind, but that`s not "hunting ".....just " shooting ". Why not just tie a rope around their necks and stake them out?
It is all relative. We hunted Namibia on a BIG high fence operation and also left to go hunt some free range low fence areas. High fence were more game rich for sure but still had to hunt to find the animal you wanted in the fenced areas. It was a really well done operation. Some operation are put and take and will literally advertise "we have a 60" Kudu for X amount of money. There is definitely a sliding scale of shooting-hunting.

There are Ranches/Properties out west that hunting on is basically "shooting" with zero fence of any kind on.

S-3 ranch

WKR
No, it’s not a “caged” hunt as you imply.
I wouldn’t hunt for lion in RSA , those are 100% CBL ( cage bred lions)
They turn them loose in a area then drag the road to erase any prints, then next day drive and cut spoor on the road then you walk them down

The places we have hunted in RSA are open concessions near Kruger and Mozambican NP , so everything is super wild and spooky
Any caliber that will throw a 150-200 + gr bullet is good medicine for small to medium sized animals

As mentioned, there are many “backyard bucks” and “Hay stack Elk” that aren’t much of a challenge either though “free range”

All levels of personal preference for sure. In the end it comes down to why we do the things we do.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
It is all relative. We hunted Namibia on a BIG high fence operation and also left to go hunt some free range low fence areas. High fence were more game rich for sure but still had to hunt to find the animal you wanted in the fenced areas. It was a really well done operation. Some operation are put and take and will literally advertise "we have a 60" Kudu for X amount of money. There is definitely a sliding scale of shooting-hunting.

There are Ranches/Properties out west that hunting on is basically "shooting" with zero fence of any kind on.
To your last statement, I`m sure that`s true. Again, it`s just one guy`s opinion FWIW. It sort of smacks of being " guaranteed ". And in the interest of complete honesty, I can`t claim to have ever done that kind of "hunting" before. The nearest I`ve come was one ( and there won`t be another ) excursion for pen raised, put quail. Compared to hunting wild birds earlier in life, it was like shooting chickens. No more for me , thanks. Having said that, I fully understand that that`s the only way these days that there can be ANY kind of quail hunting in many places and for many folks. I`ll also admit that my sensitivities regarding killing animals has changed as I`ve grown older. I`m 76 and pulling the trigger doesn`t mean now what it did when I was 35.

These discussions of Africa hunting has taken the visions of hunts long ago as written about in various books and articles on the subject with the high fence low fence pay to kill pen raised animals and turned Africa hunting into a carnival shooting match type of scene, Such a shame that one of the last great hunters destinations would be reduced to such a situation. Seems like one would be better off and save a lot of money with a 4 lb. Setting maul and a carrot just walk out into some farmers field wave around the carrot and smack Bessie between the eyes. Might even be a bit more exciting.

These discussions of Africa hunting has taken the visions of hunts long ago as written about in various books and articles on the subject with the high fence low fence pay to kill pen raised animals and turned Africa hunting into a carnival shooting match type of scene, Such a shame that one of the last great hunters destinations would be reduced to such a situation. Seems like one would be better off and save a lot of money with a 4 lb. Setting maul and a carrot just walk out into some farmers field wave around the carrot and smack Bessie between the eyes. Might even be a bit more exciting.
Thats not a realistic description of hunting in Africa. Its like saying that behind wire hunting in Texas has ruined all hunting in America.

Perhaps but as in Texas it’s a first step to controlling a sport which gives a sporting chance to the game hunted and turning it into a pay to brag type of situation even( with the so stated thousands of fenced acres if you push a certain animal far enough and long enough the fence is going to kill it all you are doing is pulling a trigger ) and eventually give a poor picture of all hunters, And we wonder why hunters are given a bad rap bye the un-informed. Perhaps all they see is some fat guy swigging a brew while riding around in a Toyota looking for a trophy to brag about while some game keeper is scratching the animal behind the ears waiting on the fat guy to show up. As to the original post I would take a 300 win. Mag running your choice one of 180 gr bullets. I will drop this thread now as I don’t sit well with any type of canned or semi canned hunt or those who partake of them.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Long ago there just weren’t so many people. You just don’t know what Africa is like. If you saw it you’d have a better understanding. The problem is people. Every wildlife preserve has a fence even Kruger National Park. They are not penned animals but some are so animal dense that it may seem like it. There would be ZERO or near zero game if it were not for game preserves and their fences. It is preservation that maybe has gone too far with the tourism hunting and photography. Some just pay to get the “shot” being a rifle or camera. I talked to one property owner who was considering a 2 for 1 on animals that were too abundant. The fences are there to protect the animals from poaching and hunters by limiting the number of hunters in an area. I never saw another hunter whereas on public land I’m more worried about other hunters than anything else. The laws are such that the fence makes the animals behind it the property of the owner and laws for theft and trespassing have bigger teeth than those for poaching. The fences are very much needed and there are plenty of areas so vast it’s very much fair chase. It’s still hunting and the animals are weary and maybe more wise. Get out of the truck and they’re gone. Stalking and wind still play a role - it did in my experience at least. Especially if you get specific about your targets. Granted some of it is near guaranteed and that’s what some are after. It wasn’t much different than an Aoudad hunt I did in Texas - we covered a lot of ground looking for the right one. A “proper safari” is probably only available in Namibia or Zimbabwe - maybe other places but I’m no expert. Every PH I’ve met is a knowledgeable professional and part of that expertise is knowing which preserve has your target. It is beautiful either way. I’m going back and I plan to specify the size of the properties we hunt this time so the fence is never an issue. May even pay up to make it proper. I’m in more for the challenge of it than the kill.

I’ll add that the high fence places keep a lot of people out of the woods. Not a bad thing.

And OP not being able to bring 2 guns of the same caliber to SA is a great excuse to get another gun….

Last edited:
Good luck on your hunt I do hope you get what your looking for, Africa has always been a bucket list hunt for me, even went as far as contacting a few outfits, but the more I look into it the more it tells me leave the rifles at home and take a camera. I am out.

IMO South African hunts are more of a social time and a shoot than an actual hunt. You might hunt a 10,000-40,000 acre area or whatever, but it's still fenced. There are roads throughout the property so finding animals from a vehicle is fairly easy. Some animal such as warthog, baboon or small antelope can find or dig holes in the fence so may be wild. Depending on the terrain it can be easy or hard to find the animals.
We actually drove by what was I guess the main place that outfitters buy the animals for their ranch. Much like a huge rural sale barn for cattle. they would go buy animals there. If you wanted a special animal such a as a "golden wildebeest" they were priced separately. Color rarities and 40 inch cape buffalo were like $40,000 if I remember correctly from the brochure. We didn't do any of that, but the PH was showing us how it all worked. One night at a neighboring ranch we actually helped unload a cattle trailer full of gemsbok. They had plastic caps on their horn tips so they wouldn't get broken in the trailer. They were pulled off from above prior to releasing from the trailer into the "wild".
Not trying to discourage anyone, as it is an interesting part of the world and new trees, terrain, and animals but don't be fooled into thinking it's some type of hard hunt.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Thats not a realistic description of hunting in Africa. Its like saying that behind wire hunting in Texas has ruined all hunting in America.
A fair point. There are still places in America where you can hunt game that isn`t confined in some way. Can the same be said for hunting in Africa in the current day? I ask that question as someone who`s totally unfamiliar with African big game hunting, mind you. When I think of Africa I think of broad, wide open plains stretching to the horizon and beyond ( the Serengeti ? ).

IMO South African hunts are more of a social time and a shoot than an actual hunt. You might hunt a 10,000-40,000 acre area or whatever, but it's still fenced. There are roads throughout the property so finding animals from a vehicle is fairly easy. Some animal such as warthog, baboon or small antelope can find or dig holes in the fence so may be wild. Depending on the terrain it can be easy or hard to find the animals.
We actually drove by what was I guess the main place that outfitters buy the animals for their ranch. Much like a huge rural sale barn for cattle. they would go buy animals there. If you wanted a special animal such a as a "golden wildebeest" they were priced separately. Color rarities and 40 inch cape buffalo were like $40,000 if I remember correctly from the brochure. We didn't do any of that, but the PH was showing us how it all worked. One night at a neighboring ranch we actually helped unload a cattle trailer full of gemsbok. They had plastic caps on their horn tips so they wouldn't get broken in the trailer. They were pulled off from above prior to releasing from the trailer into the "wild".
Not trying to discourage anyone, as it is an interesting part of the world and new trees, terrain, and animals but don't be fooled into thinking it's some type of hard hunt.

Is there any way for someone to filter out and screen potential hunts/outfitters/PHs, to make sure this isn't the kind of hunt you go on?

What kind of search term would you run to look for outfits and people doing genuine wildland hunting?