Help me choose fast twist Tikka 22 center-fire

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! Thanks, it certainly demonstrates the potential of that cartridge!

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of Ackley Improved .223 and .22-250 . . .

You don’t want to deal with the cost/work of rebarreling and u want it to be a daily driver? 22 creed seems like too much. 223 isn’t going to be as fun at 1k. 22BR-22GT seems like the right range to me. Arc would be nice but mags and bolt face are detractors for me. [Edit to add: 22-250 is basically the same size as 22GT so getting a 22-250 tikka and scrounging up some brass isn't a bad idea. Try something different when that barrel is fried if you want]

Easiest solution would be to just stick with 223 and have fun with 300-7 or 800ish yards.

Last edited:

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I’d echo the above as well, 22 Creed shooting the 88s. Pretty phenomenal terminal performance and low recoil. It is fully capable to 1000 yards at my elevation.

199p

FNG
You don’t want to deal with the cost/work of rebarreling and u want it to be a daily driver? 22 creed seems like too much. 223 isn’t going to be as fun at 1k. 22BR-22GT seems like the right range to me. Arc would be nice but mags and bolt face are detractors for me.

Easiest solution would be to just stick with 223 and have fun with 300-7 or 800ish yards.
or 22-204r sits in the middle performance wise, just handloads only

leachguy

FNG
I went with a 22-250 and bought 1000 77gr tmk for my boys to learn with, and I'll probably use it a bit before they're ready for it.
I was between a 22-250 and 223 as well, but decided on 22-250 in case we ever want to swap the barrel. Having the standard bolt face opens up a lot more options without having to open the bolt face.

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I'm learning a lot here. I had never heard of 22 BR, GT, or 204. Based on what I read at 6mmbr.com, the 22 BR shoots 75-80gr bullets accurately at around 3150fps. The max powder charge volume is about halfway between .223 and .22-250, so I think 22 BR may be my goldilocks cartridge. The BR parent case and 22 BR dies are likely to remain supported by the benchrest crowd. 6BR Alpha brass is in stock now at Midway and can be resized with 22BR dies, also available.

If I decide to order a custom barrel and reload, 22BR is a viable option. I have yet to research the 22-204, but I will.

.22-250 is the easy button, at least initially, but in the long run it may be more work if it requires a lot of sorting and testing once-fired brass to achieve accuracy.

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Project update: I just bought a stainless T3x action off another rokslider. It was a 30-06 but the barrel is already removed. It includes factory trigger and bottom metal.

I'm planning to order a prefit 22 BR barrel. I've never installed a barrel but Preferred barrel blanks video looks simple enough. The tools I need are

$65 patriot valley T3 wrench
$70 clymer BR go/no-go guages

Am I missing anything? I figure I can do a makeshift barrel vise by carving some wood blocks to fit between the barrel and a regular vise. Should hold to 75ftlbs right?

Project update: I just bought a stainless T3x action off another rokslider. It was a 30-06 but the barrel is already removed. It includes factory trigger and bottom metal.

I'm planning to order a prefit 22 BR barrel. I've never installed a barrel but Preferred barrel blanks video looks simple enough. The tools I need are

$65 patriot valley T3 wrench
$70 clymer BR go/no-go guages

Am I missing anything? I figure I can do a makeshift barrel vise by carving some wood blocks to fit between the barrel and a regular vise. Should hold to 75ftlbs right?
There’s a good thread on tikka barrel removal/instal.

Personally I’d get a decent barrel vise; it’s hard to prevent it from slipping.

You do want a lot of torque on that barrel and will need a solid barrel vise to do it.

Wheeler external wrench is my preference. That plus Mec force vise and a go gauge (use scotch tape on the back for no-go) is really all you need.

I'm learning a lot here. I had never heard of 22 BR, GT, or 204. Based on what I read at 6mmbr.com, the 22 BR shoots 75-80gr bullets accurately at around 3150fps. The max powder charge volume is about halfway between .223 and .22-250, so I think 22 BR may be my goldilocks cartridge. The BR parent case and 22 BR dies are likely to remain supported by the benchrest crowd. 6BR Alpha brass is in stock now at Midway and can be resized with 22BR dies, also available.

If I decide to order a custom barrel and reload, 22BR is a viable option. I have yet to research the 22-204, but I will.

.22-250 is the easy button, at least initially, but in the long run it may be more work if it requires a lot of sorting and testing once-fired brass to achieve accuracy.
The BR is notoriously hard to get to feed right from tikka magazines
I have a tikka 22/250 and it will shoot around 1/2 MOA with any brass I care to use

OP
Stave

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
The BR is notoriously hard to get to feed right from tikka magazines
Thanks, I was wondering about that. In that case, I'll probably get a KRG Bravo chassis and a 6br AICS magazine