Reasonably Priced Used SUV

Zbow

FNG
I picked up 2010 Toyota fj cruiser before the prices skyrocket, it's been great so far.
If I can't replace it when it dies, I'm thinking of lifting a newer rav4.

Last edited:
It May get laughed at but check out the Subaru outback wilderness, it has 9.5in of ground clearance(more than a lot of SUVs), will hold its value, get decent fuel economy and will easily run 250k+ miles. Wife and I fit hunting camp, canoe and 2 caribou in our outback when the truck took a dump the day before hunting season. They are extremely capable and dependable, there is a reason they are the most popular car in Alaska by a wide margin.

No doubt about it, Subaru’s are extremely popular up here, and as soon as I make the transition over to becoming a lesbian, I’ll probably be buying one as well.
Joking aside, they are also very reliable and supposedly safe, but I will say this, it seems like just about every accident I read about or have seen that involves a Subaru in a head on collision (Turnagain Arm comes to mind), the folks in the Subaru die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt about it, Subaru’s are extremely popular up here, and as soon as I make the transition over to becoming a lesbian, I’ll probably be buying one as well.
Joking aside, they are also very reliable and supposedly safe, but I will say this, it seems like just about every accident I read about or have seen that involves a Subaru in a head on collision (Turnagain Arm comes to mind), the folks in the Subaru die.

You'll have to be more specific about WHICH head-on in Turnagain because thats an every 3 months or so issue. There's a solid chance here that vehicle on vehicle wrecks will involve a truck, no car/suv is going to be able to handle that. Neither willow accidents this weekend involved a subaru but collectively had 4 fatalities including both occupants of the truck that caught fire after the head-on with the car. That head-on by Tolsona earlier this year was two jeeps and that didn't end so well for either of those drivers either. I don't believe the person who had to be medivac'd off of the glenn last night was in a subaru but they were plowed into from behind. After 43mph your chances of surviving head on collisions severely dimish with every few MPH(in any vehicle), so when you talk about two vehicles, one travelling at 65mph and the other hitting maximum warp trying to pass that jerk off in the mini winnie that sped up from 45 to 80 in the passing zone, hitting each other head-on, it's a no-win scenario for both but guarantees the smaller vehicle is going to the wrecker.

Titan_Bow

WKR
It May get laughed at but check out the Subaru outback wilderness, it has 9.5in of ground clearance(more than a lot of SUVs), will hold its value, get decent fuel economy and will easily run 250k+ miles. Wife and I fit hunting camp, canoe and 2 caribou in our outback when the truck took a dump the day before hunting season. They are extremely capable and dependable, there is a reason they are the most popular car in Alaska by a wide margin.

I bought a new Subaru Forester for my wife a few years ago. Long story short, they had to replace the lower block at 60k miles because it was burning so much oil. Even though it’s a well known issue on the Subaru forums and a lot of people evidently had the same issue, we had to fight to get it covered under warranty! The car seems fine now but it’s the last Subaru that I’ll ever buy.

You'll have to be more specific about WHICH head-on in Turnagain because thats an every 3 months or so issue. There's a solid chance here that vehicle on vehicle wrecks will involve a truck, no car/suv is going to be able to handle that. Neither willow accidents this weekend involved a subaru but collectively had 4 fatalities including both occupants of the truck that caught fire after the head-on with the car. That head-on by Tolsona earlier this year was two jeeps and that didn't end so well for either of those drivers either. I don't believe the person who had to be medivac'd off of the glenn last night was in a subaru but they were plowed into from behind. After 43mph your chances of surviving head on collisions severely dimish with every few MPH(in any vehicle), so when you talk about two vehicles, one travelling at 65mph and the other hitting maximum warp trying to pass that jerk off in the mini winnie that sped up from 45 to 80 in the passing zone, hitting each other head-on, it's a no-win scenario for both but guarantees the smaller vehicle is going to the wrecker.

Yeah, I haven’t really paid any attention to the most recent accidents, but it just seems like over the course of several years, I would hear about MVA‘s involving Subaru’s and often times the people in the Subaru would die. Like I said, it wasn’t anything that I was really focusing on because I have no experience with them or connection to them, but I do remember hearing that quite often about accidents that involved Subaru’s. I also knew somebody that was traveling into town from Girdwood one day, she was driving a Subaru and got into an accident and was killed. The people in the pickup walked away. Again, no scientific evidence here, just some of my observations. They do get around unbelievably well in the snow, that’s for sure.

I bought a new Subaru Forester for my wife a few years ago. Long story short, they had to replace the lower block at 60k miles because it was burning so much oil. Even though it’s a well known issue on the Subaru forums and a lot of people evidently had the same issue, we had to fight to get it covered under warranty! The car seems fine now but it’s the last Subaru that I’ll ever buy.

Foresters have been garbage almost as long as they have been in production, from the 2014's burning a quart of oil every 1k miles to the transmission issues that have plagued them in various years. Hence why I suggested an outback, if you judge an automotive company based on their worst models then you'll be sticking to your shoebarus or chevrolegs because every manufacturer puts out sub par models. My dodge ram has had more recalls than every other vehicle I have ever owned combined. Last one I had was "urgent for safety" and I was told not to drive it until it was inspected by the stealership estimated wait for parts pre covid? 12-16 months

Yeah, I haven’t really paid any attention to the most recent accidents, but it just seems like over the course of several years, I would hear about MVA‘s involving Subaru’s and often times the people in the Subaru would die. Like I said, it wasn’t anything that I was really focusing on because I have no experience with them or connection to them, but I do remember hearing that quite often about accidents that involved Subaru’s. I also knew somebody that was traveling into town from Girdwood one day, she was driving a Subaru and got into an accident and was killed. The people in the pickup walked away. Again, no scientific evidence here, just some of my observations. They do get around unbelievably well in the snow, that’s for sure.

Like I said before, any car vs truck is going to end badly for the car substantially more frequently than the truck. I am sorry about your friend, that stretch between anchorage and girdwood is a meat grinder full of tired travelers returning from fishing one way and antsy ones ready to fish headed the other. Growing up, the Seward Hwy was known as "the death highway" because of all the fatal accidents that regularly occured.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Foresters have been garbage almost as long as they have been in production, from the 2014's burning a quart of oil every 1k miles to the transmission issues that have plagued them in various years. Hence why I suggested an outback, if you judge an automotive company based on their worst models then you'll be sticking to your shoebarus or chevrolegs because every manufacturer puts out sub par models. My dodge ram has had more recalls than every other vehicle I have ever owned combined. Last one I had was "urgent for safety" and I was told not to drive it until it was inspected by the stealership estimated wait for parts pre covid? 12-16 months

Like I said before, any car vs truck is going to end badly for the car substantially more frequently than the truck. I am sorry about your friend, that stretch between anchorage and girdwood is a meat grinder full of tired travelers returning from fishing one way and antsy ones ready to fish headed the other. Growing up, the Seward Hwy was known as "the death highway" because of all the fatal accidents that regularly occured.

pretty sure Outback and Forester share a lot of common parts etc. I know the 2.5 engine is available in both. I do judge a car company based on my anecdotal experience. If I have had a bad experience with an auto maker, I’m certainly not going to buy another vehicle from the same manufacturer.

pretty sure Outback and Forester share a lot of common parts etc. I know the 2.5 engine is available in both. I do judge a car company based on my anecdotal experience. If I have had a bad experience with an auto maker, I’m certainly not going to buy another vehicle from the same manufacturer.

Subaru has produced quite a few 2.5l engines over the years that varied on each model and year. There is absolutely crossover on engines between models but depending on year the forester could have the SOHC one while the OB has a DOHC. Just because they are both 2.5l does not make them the same, nor equal. You do you, it's no skin off my back whatever preferences and prejudices others have.

Edit: I absolutely did not mean for my suggestion to hijack this thread and dilute what could be useful answers to OP's question.

bobr1

WKR
As much as I have liked renting a Subaru for traveling I don’t know if I would buy one. The major problem I tend to see is oil leaks especially in the rear main seal. Cheap part but a lot of work or extremely expensive to have done. Subarus are really popular in Montana but I rarely see anyone talking about them being like Toyota’s after 100k miles. Seem to be a really limiting factor for the money. Just like if I was to buy a truck again and needed it for towing it would be an old 12v Cummins, maybe 24v with a p pump. But those things run forever….miss
Mine….

You almost have to buy an Outback new because a used one cost the same even before the virus

I had a 2016 4runner, recently sold it and picked up a 2017 GX460. Same platform Toyota/Lexus. Already have taken it on some rough muddy scouting trips.
I have always made the mistake of buying something too nice, then not wanting to take it our in the woods. People hire guides in KY for elk in part because the old strip mine roads will destroy a new paint job...I think we all need an older SUV to hunt out of regardless of brand but the market will not correct itself on the new ones for a while longer. Several friends ran older 4Runners with half bald tires and they still went anywhere.

Titan_Bow

WKR
If I did the same, I’d be stuck walking.

I have put about half a million miles on 3 different vehicles in my adult life, 2 other vehicles that have had issues, and I would never buy from that manufacturer. For me, I know what works and what to stay away from :p

WRM

WKR
You missed out. Somebody just paid $350k for Tom Hanks' Airstream and classic Land Cruiser.
Gotta stay frosty if you're gonna get a bargain.

wesfromky

WKR
Better hurry - Toyota just announced a 40 percent cut in new production due to chip shortages. Would not doubt that others follow suit to some degree.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
Damn, I just looked at used Land Cruisrs from the last 4 years. 95k plus!

WRM

WKR
There's a field in the midwest with (I think) 50,000 Ford PUs sitting waiting for chips. This issue is not going to resolve itself tomorrow. China makes all the chips.

Unless you find somebody who's been living under a rock, you won't find anything decent (particularly pre OBD II) for anything remotely approaching a "bargain". Around here, some early 80s Ford F 150s were going for more than new in the day--and that was way before covid.

There's a field in the midwest with (I think) 50,000 Ford PUs sitting waiting for chips. This issue is not going to resolve itself tomorrow. China makes all the chips.

Unless you find somebody who's been living under a rock, you won't find anything decent (particularly pre OBD II) for anything remotely approaching a "bargain". Around here, some early 80s Ford F 150s were going for more than new in the day--and that was way before covid.
F150s assembled in Louisville. Our local NASCAR speedway parking lot is full of trucks, waiting for chips. Joke is you can see them from space. Lots all over Louisville are full as well. trucks just sitting...