Reality gear check...

rodney482

WKR
So its been a few weeks since I first joined the forum. I've been on web hunting forums for going on 10 years or so and this one is definitely among the best I've been involved with (great job Rok staff!).

One thing I've noticed and I'm sure I'm not the only one, is the passion with which everybody is buying new gear! Myself included for a new pack and some clothing this year. But I've managed to be pretty successful in recent hunting years with an old military surplus wool sweater, cabelas microtex, and rivers west jacket (hate that thing now lol). Last year was my first with any sort of "technical" clothing and while I really enjoyed it, I wasn't necessarily warmer, or more successful with it. I cut some weight and had a bit more versatility but I don't think it made a difference on my hunting. With all of the Sitka, KUIU and Kifaru fevers going on, do we really NEED that one step above our own gear to make us successful?

I'm not knocking it at all and wish I could spend way more $ than I do every year on extra hunting gear (don't we all!). And I know how you really appreciate a quality piece of gear that just flat out works in the back country. But do you think that at some point it reaches a level where you aren't making yourself any more successful because you're upgrading already lightweight quality gear with NEW lightweight quality gear?

Hope what I'm trying to write out here is coming across clearly! I'm curious on what ya'll think about it... :)

Mike

Life is too short to use subpar gear...I can afford the very best and buy the very best.

I dont waste $$ on booze, smokes or lottery.

Shrek

WKR
True that.... My truck is a beat up 11 year old F150 with a reconstructed title. It drives just fine (and I paid cash for it), but I'd lucky to get $4000 for it on Craigslist. The replacement value on my loaded pack is easily more than that. Alaska Airlines lost it coming back from a bear hunt this spring, and I about died before they found it again! Hey, those are my priorities in life...
I'm right there with you! $800 '95 ranger and two $3500 rifles on it and thousands more in gear when I go to the woods! I got my priorities stait! Don't know how it didn't highlight yellowknifes post?

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I don't know how I killed all those deer , hogs , turkey , and small game in my converse allstars , jeans , and my favorite jersey. Back when a tag and season was sneaking out the back door before chores and homework were done.

Last edited: