Realistic range for Iron Sights

darmento

FNG
I have an oldie goldie lever action Marlin 336 in 30-30 that I have kept hold of since the 70’s It is a classic, and has the good old adjustable iron sights on it. I am thinking about taking the scope off and just using it without the scope for 40-100 yard shots in the deep woods here in GA where I live. Most of the shots in the woods are under 100 yards.

I am wondering what the realistic range is for a these kind of sights (see photo). I know I should not be taking 200 yard shots with it, but is 75-100 yards realistic? Assuming I am an good shot, I am asking myself how far out these sights can be effective. If anyone has used iron sights and has some insight, I would be grateful. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 1B6C9F73-7BC4-4F70-B70B-316172643B99.jpeg
    1B6C9F73-7BC4-4F70-B70B-316172643B99.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 3091FBF4-792C-420F-89C0-EC9FCF13F967.jpeg
    3091FBF4-792C-420F-89C0-EC9FCF13F967.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 35

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed deer at 200 yards open sights.
If you know your rifle, that means shooting at 200 yards, killing game at 200 yards is no problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
I think it can be very much an individual thing, especially as one ages and eyes change. The amount of available light has a huge effect also. The best answer to your question can be gotten by taking your rifle to the range and seeing what you can do with it.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Practice and learning the sights can change effective range substantially. I don’t feel there is a number one can put on it, it’s how far can you effectively hold and make hits. I have seen people struggle to hit a paper plate at 50yds and others keep them in a pop can over 150yds. With all of my Winchester levers I am more than capable of keeping them in a 6” plate standing freehand out to around 170yds. After that I need a rest of some sort. Even with the little 38-40 pop gun I can make those same hits but I have to move the ramp on the rear sight.

The sights themselves make a difference, a fine front bead with a larger rear v notch is my preferred but my 38-40 has a large front bead and I think it’s one of my most accurate rifles I own.

Rich M

WKR
Put a peep sight on there and call it good to 150 or 200 or so.

Also start some kind of strength training. It helps for shooting.

Practice practice.

stevea

FNG
Depends, deep woods I would be concerned if you can see them.
I've used iron sights when I was younger with a peep at 500 yards.
I'm older now and can't see Chitt, so it really depends on how well you can see.

Wrench

WKR
This rig did 10 into a 10" at 1000yards by Jim Lewis. I managed to ring moa to 300 so far as my best.

I took a whitetail deer at 80 paces with a 44mag pistol.

With practice and consistency you can be 2 moa easy enough to as far as you can see.20220213_100527.jpg

A post or blade front sight with a peep rear sight will be significantly easier to use than the factory irons. I like point of impact to be on the tip of the front sight that way you don’t have to cover your target with the front sight. Makes shooting at range a little easier that way, just sit the target on the top of the front sight.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
The above post is a big part of accuracy at distance for me too. Using the 6 o’clock hold will yield much better accuracy than covering the target with the front sight. I’m not a fan of peep sights and actually do better with something like a semi buckhorn but with the big notch it kind of acts like a peep giving more light around the sight. I just never liked shooting peeps with both eyes open unless they were a large ghost ring style.

I have had several rifles I did load development for trying to achieve sub Moa accuracy, all of which had 10x or higher scopes. I would always get really discouraged when I had a $2-$3,000 setup sitting there shooting a 1.5-2moa group and I could actually do better with an old open sight pre64 30-30.

Shooting a bunch with open sights, light rifles, and heavy triggers will really teach a person to shoot and not just sit on the bench pulling the trigger. We used to get together once a year and have a little competition trying to shoot the ash off a cigarette or shoot the bottom out of a beer bottle without hitting the neck, stupid stuff like that really taught me to shoot open sights well and I’m every bit as confident in them as I am a scoped rifle now.

Rich M

WKR
Shooting a bunch with open sights, light rifles, and heavy triggers will really teach a person to shoot and not just sit on the bench pulling the trigger. We used to get together once a year and have a little competition trying to shoot the ash off a cigarette or shoot the bottom out of a beer bottle without hitting the neck, stupid stuff like that really taught me to shoot open sights well and I’m every bit as confident in them as I am a scoped rifle now.

Well put - most guys who are comfortable with guns did just this - played and had fun. I have no idea how many .22 rounds I've shot in this lifetime but an incredible number, followed closely by 12 ga shells, high powered rifle stuff was a bit less, due to cost of ammo but we'd shoot a few times each shooting trip, which was at least once a month, usually more. My uncle used to like to have contests where we'd shoot twigs off a tree limb w .22 and irons - at reasonable ranges, of course.

The ammo shortages have affected the amount we shoot - it is a lot less now then pre-bama and pre-covid.

The only way to know your max range is to experience it - figure it out on the range. Then you can either try for more or be happy where you are at.

Someone mentioned eyes - anyone over say 40 understands that.

Hoodie

WKR
If you're going to use irons, definitely get an aperture rear sight and a slim front sight. Preferably with a high visibility.

Regardless of what sight you choose I wouldn't base my personal range limit on what people claim they can do on the internet. I'd shoot from realistic field positions at various distances and see where I could keep 90%+ hits within a 6 inch circle. That gives you fudge factor for real life.

6 o'clock hold will help. The factory front sight will be almost as large as a deer's entire vital zone once you get past 100 yards or so.

You will also lose a not insignificant amount of shooting time at first and last light.

I love the idea of irons. I thought about using an un-scoped lever for still-hunting blacktails, but when weighing the pros and cons I think a low power scope offers too many advantages. Something in the 2.5x or 1-4x range.

OP
D

darmento

FNG
Thank you everyone for your excellent input. Now I am inspired to take off this scope and work on getting good at iron sights. Will post in a month and let people know how it is going. Thx again!!

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Palma matches, 600 and 1000, open sights..

Realistically, the average hunter should be good to 200yards with practice

6:00 hold is standard for shooting paper and works well when you have a 72” bull at 1000 yards for your aiming point.
Hunting is a different ball game. Consider how early 20th century marksmen and hunters like Whelen and White set up their rifles. The old adage “keep hair under your front sight”, works pretty well.
Here is a link worth reading:
My grandfather regularly took Muleys and elk at 300 yards with his Remmy Mod 8 35 Rem before modern hunters discovered it was only good to 100 yards. My dad had a closet full of Milsurp Krags and all the kids got one when they turned 16. My first buck was a cross canyon shot past 300 with my Krag.
I think what you’ll find, assuming you’re proficient with your rifle, that the only limitation to effective hunting range is your ability to see your target.

Yoder

WKR
One thing I noticed with iron sights is you can't see them in low light.

rclouse79

WKR
Before I sold my muzzleloader, I had a rear peep and a globe with crosshairs on the front. Based on my vision, I had trouble aiming precisely will it past 100 yards in good light. In low light it was almost worthless.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Call me crazy, for hunting I would probably keep around 50. I wouldnt shoot past 60 and definitely not 75. Beyond that point i dont think anyone can realistically distinguish enough detail to shoot to imo an ethical level of accuracy. I expect to be within 1" of my aiming point and i wont shoot unless i feel like i can judge the center of the heart within 1". I fully understsnd the equipment can go way more but thats just me.

Oh, i feel like i have good eyes also. I can tell you the sex of a turkey at 700 yards. And spot Antelope at 800

Rich M

WKR
Turns out to be a double response - love the topic. Knew some older guys who shot 200 yds open sight. Military used to do 300 yds open sights - peep I think.

100 yards should be doable. Try it at the range and see how you do. That will confirm how far you can shoot it.

My eyes are getting fuzzy w age. Scope is my friend.

Last edited: