the best 243 win bullet

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
Barnes 80 grain TTSX.
punch em in the shoulders.
There wont be any tracking.
have you had one run with that load. i have heard that copper bullets arent that good without magnum velocity if you dont drop them dead in there tracks.

My wife uses that bullet in her 6x45
The farthest she had a deer run was about 100 yds because she didn’t hit him in the front shoulders.
It was a lung shot
Also the shot was 275 yds.
All others we shot with that bullet whether it was in her 6x45, my kids .243’s or my .243 AI died right there.

You also might try the hammer bullets. From your post it doesn’t sound like you reload but just in case. They have legit terminal velocity.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
My wife uses that bullet in her 6x45
The farthest she had a deer run was about 100 yds because she didn’t hit him in the front shoulders.
It was a lung shot
Also the shot was 275 yds.
All others we shot with that bullet whether it was in her 6x45, my kids .243’s or my .243 AI died right there.
good to know i will grab a dox next time i see some

mitchell

FNG
I would definatly go with the Remington Core-Loct 100 grain pointed soft point. It has so much knock down power. I shoot it out of my 243 Browning Bar and the coyotes that are hit at 100 yards broadside , fall over immediatley with no bullet exit hole. Deer , when hit in the kill zone will not make it very far as well. Any bullet that exits the other side is wasted energy.

cgavason

FNG
I have 90gr ELDX loaded in my sons 243 Ruger American. He has shot deer from 60-240yds, all 1 shot, no exits but vitals are always destroyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
Cheap Hornady Whitetail 100 gr works great and usually gets pass throughs on broadside shots. Federal fusion is probably a little better on pass through at angles. The absolute best I've ever used in a 243 was Winchester Power Max Bonded, which always passed through, but still wrecked the deer. Winchester in its wisdom, discontinued them of course.

Oh and the Power Shocks are very accurate for a soft point, but don't pass through as well as the Hornady Whitetail.
Only reason I still use them some is that I bought 2 cases (400 rounds) about 6 years ago for $225.

Last edited:
The beauty of the .243 (and 6mm Creedmoor) is high velocity, low recoil, and huge bullet selection. Inside normal distances, say sub-300, when you place an 85-108 grain non-premium bullet in the vitals of game, it flat smokes ‘em. I only have approximately 20 big-game kills with these, but the average distance traveled is shorter than anything else I’ve used short of a 6.5 PRC with 147 ELD-Ms.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of our members sent me some very interesting information regarding the Nosler 95 Ballistic Tip. It was developed by one of Nosler's engineers who wanted something suitable for game up to elk size. The 95 BT in addition to hand loading, is offered by both Federal and Winchester as loaded ammunition.

I've got four boxes ordered (Winchester) along with four boxes of Nosler 90 gr Accubonds, hoping either of those loads shoots favorably for me.

SFSnFmI.png

AvBOLil.jpg