Realistic range for Iron Sights

TheHammer

WKR
Younger me could hit soda cans off hand at 150yds my 4” 686+ in 357. Same with my 12gauge. I’m sure with a steady rest and a bit of practice. 250yds with a 30-30 would be practical.

def90

WKR
I collect and shoot military rifles and 300-400 yds with irons is easily doable if you know how to shoot and practice at it and I mean really practice. Learn how to use your sling correctly and shoot in various positions, prone, sitting, kneeling. I see guys every year that go to the range to get a few rounds in before the season starts and they’ve got their rifles in a sled on a bench. It’s not going to happen if that is your style of shooting/practicing.

Rich M

WKR
I collect and shoot military rifles and 300-400 yds with irons is easily doable if you know how to shoot and practice at it and I mean really practice. Learn how to use your sling correctly and shoot in various positions, prone, sitting, kneeling. I see guys every year that go to the range to get a few rounds in before the season starts and they’ve got their rifles in a sled on a bench. It’s not going to happen if that is your style of shooting/practicing.

This is a great answer - incorporate some strength building exercises and you'll see an improvement as well.

Not many guys use slings these days - they use shooting sticks, tripods with vices on em, etc. Learn how to use a sling and you'll be good.