Optic for Marlin .30-30

Recently acquired two Marlin 30AS (Budget version of 336) .30-30s. Looking to put an optic on one of them, and either keep the iron sights or install a peep sight on the other. They will be used for whitetail hunting, in fairly open woods and fields. Any suggestions for an optic or peep?

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have a Williams fire sight and peep on my marlin 336 and I have a .308 BLR for my other “brush gun” I installed a 3-9 trijicon accupoint on with the orange triangle and post, at 3x it has a decent field of view and I like the sight for quick shooting

TN2shot07

WKR
I really like the skinners for a peep. They have an express sight where you can mount a scope in quick release rings over the peep, best of both worlds

Scope - budget option I’d go with a Leupold freedom 2-7x33, more money Leupold vx3 1.5-5 with a firedot

OP
Woods Sleeper
I have a Williams fire sight and peep on my marlin 336 and I have a .308 BLR for my other “brush gun” I installed a 3-9 trijicon accupoint on with the orange triangle and post, at 3x it has a decent field of view and I like the sight for quick shooting
Thanks for the information. Do you have any experience with a fixed power scope? I’m looking to stay on the lighter side, and I would keep my shots under 200 yards since a .30-30 drops pretty considerably after that.

OP
Woods Sleeper
I really like the skinners for a peep. They have an express sight where you can mount a scope in quick release rings over the peep, best of both worlds

Scope - budget option I’d go with a Leupold freedom 2-7x33, more money Leupold vx3 1.5-5 with a firedot
Did you have to find a taller front sight? I’ve read that many rifles needed a taller front tight to work with peep sights, and I don’t really want to replace the brass bead front post with a fiber optic.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
My 30-year-old model 94 Winchester still wears it’s 30-year-old Bushnell sportview fixed 4 power. It will definitely get you in the bullseye at 100 yards. A 4 power scope in whatever brand you decide to go with should serve you well.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I believe they're no longer in offered with a heavy duplex reticle but Leupolds fixed 2.5 is an often over looked gem. Not as fond of the wide duplex but used or maybe the custom shop could get around that.
The fixed 4 power or small variables such as 1-4 or 2-7 are reasonable second choices that seem easier to find.

Vern400

WKR
I run a Leupold 2x7. It's a good simple all-around scope. I walk on 2x and zoom into 7x if time allows, to make sure I'm not shooting a baby buck. A 1 MOA red dot wouldn't be bad in tight cover. You can get something cheaper but I've had problems with bad parallax on cheap scopes.