Drill/Tap Nitride Barrel for Front Sight

I am looking at picking up my first smokepole here shortly. One of the possible candidates is the ever popular Knight Ultra-Lite, which comes in different variations of being drilled and tapped for a scope only or including iron sights. I am specifically looking at picking up a nitride model since I have managed to scratch stainless guns in the past via carelessness. I also require iron sights since I will be hunting in CO.

The "sights installed" model is currently not in stock and comes with sights that would be immediately replaced with a peep configuration. The only holes that would be reused from the factory are those for the front sight. Also, once re-stocked, I suspect that this variation will be subject to Knight's new pricing, and cost roughly 60% more than the current "scope only" variation that I can order. Aside: this new pricing has led to some interesting scenarios where you can now buy a .45 caliber gun and the barrel kit to convert it to a .50 for the price of just the .50 caliber gun. Different colors of stock are now a $500 upgrade.

The "scope only" nitride option is currently in stock at a reasonable price, but would require me to drill/tap the holes to install a front sight. How difficult would this be to do given the fact that the barrel has been nitride hardened? Is this something a competent gunsmith (not me) can do? If so, I'm looking for recommendations for someone in the Denver or CO Springs area. The end result doesn't need to be pretty (bedding in JB Weld is always an option), but needs to be straight (I don't want to max out windage to hit dead center).

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had a nitrided rifle sent to lri for barrel shortening, they also drilled a new hole to reninstall my front sight. You should send Chad at LRI an email, he replies fairly quickly.