Real world drop

OP
MuleyFever
I shoot at dawn before any wind comes into play. I am still learning how to adjust parallax just right as this is the first scope I have had with the adjustment.

I got 1” at 100 with the 140AB and 162ELD-X. Both have had more drop than they should at 300 based on my chrono numbers. Other loads did not shoot well so I never shot them over 100.

16Bore

WKR
Parallax can come from you not having a consistent cheek weld, regardless of what’s adjusted.

Don’t forget all that ammo is out of match chambers and what not.

ChrisAU

WKR
I will make a point to watch for cant. I don’t think it would be causing as much variation as I am getting but it may be contributing.

While my horizontal spread is greater than my vertical the shots are not all hitting to one side like if I was canting the rifle consistently. I am .5” left of center then .5” right then .75” right and 1.25” left at 200. At 300 similar just slightly larger spread.

I did make sure to torque everything. I am shooting off bags.

I have produced the same excessive drop results on 2 occasions now and with 2 types of ammo. It may just be me I guess.

Is 1.25" off center the biggest horizontal spread you've had at 200? What you described is still roughly 1 MOA, 1.25" being a smidge over.

OP
MuleyFever
Is 1.25" off center the biggest horizontal spread you've had at 200? What you described is still roughly 1 MOA, 1.25" being a smidge over.

My last time out it was 1.25” left and .74” right of center so a 2” wide group at 200. Although not a large sample pretty consistent to other outings.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
What calculator are you using and how accurate are your atmospherics? I find that Nosler and most ammo companies over state BCs. Probalbly not enough to get to the issues you are having but you might have compounding problems. Quality Crono is a must and once you have an accurate velocity you can use your results to shift your BC using applied ballistics. I would get it on a good crono, zero at 200, hold in the center of a target and shoot groups at 300 and 400. If you don't want to spend the money on the applied ballistics app then you can post results and atmospherics and I can run it through applied ballistics. My guess is the velocity and BC is inflated and possibly the atmospherics are not accurate.

Just my 2cent good luck

OP
MuleyFever
I have not been out. I did pickup a box of the factory 160gr Accubonds to try though.

I am just going to leave the crono home though and measure the drops and go with it.

OP
MuleyFever
Sounds good, interested to see how things turn out for you.

I got out today with the 160 ABs and they are the ones going hunting with me. I got a 7/8" group at 100 and sub 2" at 300. Those are my best groups to date with this rifle. My drops are still odd though. I only shot 3 shots at 100, 200, 300 and 4 shots at 420 due to quantity of ammo and time. I will need to do it again to verify when I get more ammo but my drops were 3.4" at 200, 10.4" at 300 and 29.25" at 420. The group at 420 was not good so that data is not solid. The table I shot on was not ideal, its a different range next to the 300yd range with wobbly picnic tables to shoot off. I did not chronograph considering how off it was on my other ammo tests.

Last edited: