Real elk hunting!

wapitibob

WKR
What is real elk hunting? Well, my eyes have been opened, and it is NOT Colorado. I had a chance to hunt another state this year for the first time ever and lets just say, this next five year structure the CBA and other groups should be pushing hard for limits on elk/tag allocations.

The time has come for such groups to get vocal about the current situation occurring in OTC units in CO. Regardless if you kill elk, CO is not elk hunting in any way shape or form compared to what I experienced in a "non draw" unit.

As a resident of CO, I'm already trying to figure out how to hunt out of state next year.

And another sees the reality of "sustained yield" otc hunting management.

OP
C
OP can you give a typical day in Colorado versus the unnamed other state to givw a comparison?
Just truly curious what the difference is.

I guess I didn’t really clarify, but just a couple things.

12 days of hunting 1 other bowhunter seen on the side of the road covering 3 units.

Colorado, just about the opposite, 12 hunters seen in one day of hunting.

Elk that spook but just walk off vs elk that spook and don’t stop running for a ridge or two.

Solid six points were the norm. Elk coming to bugles, throw the cow call out the window vs elk running from bugles.

End of season elk bugling next to camp off s main road, vs quiet over called to OTC pressured elk.

As 5 miles stated, you can kill elk but still not be too happy about what transpired during the hunt.

Hunting elk like they can, and should be hunted vs what many of COs OTC units have become is a shit show. I’m truly am happy To hunt other species every year with little to no pressure as those hunts haven’t been wrecked yet.

There was a time I was thinking of writing a book on it. As a matter of fact I have 3-4 chapters done, and there is just no way I will finish it as it would simply ruin what are good times.

I hope that clarifies the Original post. Enjoy CO for what it is, it’s been very good to me, but for the majority, don’t call it an “elk hunt” as it’s far from what it could be.

Last edited:
I love these threads.

Previously.... it is not a real sheep hunt unless there is grayling.

Now it is not a real elk hunt if you kill within the first X hours.

Tongue in cheek...
I see it now. "Yeah, that is a 400 inch bull but the Rokslide elite say it is not a real elk hunt if I kill opening morning. I don't want to lose my WKR membership card so I'm going to let it walk. Those WKR will applaud my spike on the last day since that is what a real elk hunt it".

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A dead elk doesn’t make a good season and no dead elk doesn’t make a bad season. I completely agree. But killing 2 elk early in the season, I thought I read opening weekend, and then saying “it isn’t real elk hunting” makes no sense. Maybe pass on those elk and get your money's worth. Or maybe try going to a new spot if that spot is too easy or “not hunting”.
For me, it's not about the ease or the difficulty.......it is 100% how the elk act and respond during the archery season. It used to be very predictable for each week or phase of the season. These days there's just too many people out there, and not all of those are hunters. I'm not saying you can't still get into and kill elk. I'm just saying it's not much fun without the whole interaction and their responses to that. This year was the perfect example. It was the most crowded year I've seen, for hunters and others that are just out there recreating at the same time. The elk were running scared from start to finish.

I got on a lot of elk this season, but it just wasn't the same. Whether I shoot something or not doesn't change the greater value I put on "the experience". As a very aggressive bowhunter, there's just a certain way I like to hunt. And the elk are either cooperating with that style or they are not. If they are.......then it's "real hunting" in my eyes (as I think the OP is talking here as well). And if they are not cooperating with my style, then the hunting sucked.....even when I see and get on elk every day, and even shoot one. You know........first world problems.

But that's why I'm out there......because I love that game so much, when that game gets good. There's a direct correlation though......when I have the place to myself for days on end, the elk act like elk, and they play the game well. When they're pressured every day by every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there.......they don't play the game well.......at least as I define the game. ;)

ToolMann

WKR
Well elk hunting is obviously just trying to be in the place at the right time where the other group of hunters chases the elk to your location so you can shoot an animal that's got its tongue lolling out from exhaustion because its been chased over 2 mountain ranges in the last 6 hours. Seems pretty clear!
Who told you my number 1 strategy for 2nd season OTC rifle in a few weeks? That was top secret! In all honesty though, 2nd season for me is more for just getting out in the years I didn't draw. We did muzzleloader this year and last but I needed to save a point for my drop camp trip next year. 2nd season is more of hanging out with a big group and utilizing the top-secret strategy noted above. I'm the only guy in camp typically that will leave early in my truck instead of hunting from camp. I at least try to get away from people the best I can, but it is difficult. Was thinking about getting a Texas license plate to fit in better.

ToolMann

WKR
I love these threads.

Previously.... it is not a real sheep hunt unless there is grayling.

Now it is not a real elk hunt if you kill within the first X hours.

Tongue in cheek...
I see it now. "Yeah, that is a 400 inch bull but the Rokslide elite say it is not a real elk hunt if I kill opening morning. I don't want to lose my WKR membership card so I'm going to let it walk. Those WKR will applaud my spike on the last day since that is what a real elk hunt it".
As a WKR I'm still in the "if it is legal I'm shooting it" category when it comes to elk. First day, last day, packed in, near the road, I couldn't care less.

If I wanted to have a good elk hunting experience in Colorado I would go to Rocky Mountain National Park in September and bring my DSLR camera. Then on the way home I would stop by one of those bison ranches and buy a bison for the freezer.

Elkbelch

FNG
Y’all are depressing, I leave Tuesday for my first elk hunt in 10 years. This will be my daughters first elk hunt and I am so excited for her. I guarantee a good time, nothing more. If she sees elk I’ll be happy, if she fills her cow tag I’ll be ecstatic, if she fills her bull tag it will be unbelievable! She has a bear tag just in case and I have a bull tag so I am in the game. I guess it’s all about expectations. I’ve killed them with bow, muzzleloader and rifle, I always enjoyed the bow and muzzleloader seasons the best but man the color in first rifle.. it ain’t the 1960s but I am still living the dream.

Shawn

Y’all are depressing, I leave Tuesday for my first elk hunt in 10 years. This will be my daughters first elk hunt and I am so excited for her. I guarantee a good time, nothing more. If she sees elk I’ll be happy, if she fills her cow tag I’ll be ecstatic, if she fills her bull tag it will be unbelievable! She has a bear tag just in case and I have a bull tag so I am in the game. I guess it’s all about expectations. I’ve killed them with bow, muzzleloader and rifle, I always enjoyed the bow and muzzleloader seasons the best but man the color in first rifle.. it ain’t the 1960s but I am still living the dream.

Shawn
You guys will have a great time, the scenery alone is enough to enjoy yourselves. Everyone has a different experience that they want out of a hunt, and for me personally, Colorado elk hunts don’t provide that. If I had more bonus points they might but I’m already too far behind that game.

Elkbelch

FNG
You guys will have a great time, the scenery alone is enough to enjoy yourselves. Everyone has a different experience that they want out of a hunt, and for me personally, Colorado elk hunts don’t provide that. If I had more bonus points they might but I’m already too far behind that game.
Thanks, we have enjoyed every minute of the hunt, for us it started in November 2021 after a deer hunt. She asked me about the days when grandpa and I would go elk hunting. She had a bunch of questions and dug out a bunch of old pictures when we got home. I told her it would be easier to show her than tell her and here we are. She graduates college in December and I look forward to this upcoming week like no other. I’ve no idea what’s there now after a ten year absence but I hope the “lower trail” is still closed.
If that ain’t real elk hunting I don’t know what is

Shawn

OP
C

Shawn

1st season from what I’ve seen has the least amount of people and is a really good time to kill an elk. Elk haven’t been bothered for awhile, bulls will move in and hopefully your daughter will get her first elk.

Good luck, enjoy!

Mosby

WKR
Real elk hunting for me is when I have an elk tag In my pocket and I set up camp but it really isn't much different for me when I go deer hunting or I load my dogs up to drive up to South Dakota for pheasant. I don't worry to much about other guys. I do me and hunt my hunt and I normally have a good time, whether I kill anything or not.

to me real elk hunting isn't something I saw on tv or the internet, its actually getting out there and making the hunt happen the way I want it to. I know that might sound strange to some but it's not the other hunters that make your hunt bad its simply you. maybe we should post some signs for the elk telling them how to act so they can make everyone happy cause we shouldn't have to work at hunting. just saying.
I get that everyone wants to have a certain experience and that's ok, but to say it's not a real hunt because you didn't get it? that's a very entitled statement.

Was exact opposite for me this year... never seen so many hunters out that late in the season (late archery that is), normally that last week and a half for me has much emptier trailheads but this year... noooope. Full up. However, if you wanna send over coordinates to your trailhead id be happy to go check out the number of trucks there for you so we can get a good idea of hunting pressure through the year ;) I know its all anecdotal, but i "feel" like closing off other OTC units just ... pushed all the OTC hunters (that includes me) into less units and put more pressure on the elk in those units. CO probably outta just switch them all over to draw at this point because its causing problems in the OTC units that are still there. Just one dude's opinion who isnt an elk biologist.

I think part of the issue this year is early Sep was really hot and the full moon made it so the elk were quiet well past 9/15 or so. I hunted Southern CO OTC from 9/11 to 9/15 and we saw a few hunters but no real crowds. Then again, we did not see a single elk or hear a confirmed bugle. Personally, Colorado needs to prioritize resident hunters in OTC units vs non-residents instead of CPW cashing out on NR tags from Texas.

How is pressure from hunters and treehuggers in CO any different than pressure from wolves, mountain lions, black bears and grizzlies is some of the other surrounding states?

I think what the OP is talking about is the difference between hunting elk and hunting the hunters. I could certainly see his point if he were saying it's disappointing to spend more time/effort doing the latter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I get that everyone wants to have a certain experience and that's ok, but to say it's not a real hunt because you didn't get it? that's a very entitled statement.
I didn't hear anyone say that someone was "entitled" to get the type of hunt they want. But everyone has preferences, and my "preference" is to hunt unpressured elk......because if they're unpressured.......I've never had an issue getting them to react the way I want. That's my preference......not my entitlement.