Real elk hunting!

Hnthrdr

WKR
And so it begins! Looks like the potential Less tags for R more for NR……

NR will always have a place in CO, and money will always be the motivating factor

Saw that yesterday, already fired off a comment to the commission. We need 80/20 for all draw units, not 6 point or 10 point units that is silly and doesn’t help with jack. High point units should be 90/10. Don’t like it move to Co and live the “mountain lyfe” don’t forget your co state sticker, T-shirt, and mandatory Subaru;)

OP
C
Like I mentioned a few posts up, I don’t expect much of anything other than more crowding.

lol yes, I will say I have seen more subies in colorado than anywhere else in the country.
I also drive an f250 crew cab 7.3 diesel full bed, but my outback is a little cheaper on fuel.

Jseag

FNG
What is real elk hunting? Well, my eyes have been opened, and it is NOT Colorado. I had a chance to hunt another state this year for the first time ever and lets just say, this next five year structure the CBA and other groups should be pushing hard for limits on elk/tag allocations.

The time has come for such groups to get vocal about the current situation occurring in OTC units in CO. Regardless if you kill elk, CO is not elk hunting in any way shape or form compared to what I experienced in a "non draw" unit.

As a resident of CO, I'm already trying to figure out how to hunt out of state next year.
I want to go real elk hunting - archery
What is real elk hunting? Well, my eyes have been opened, and it is NOT Colorado. I had a chance to hunt another state this year for the first time ever and lets just say, this next five year structure the CBA and other groups should be pushing hard for limits on elk/tag allocations.

The time has come for such groups to get vocal about the current situation occurring in OTC units in CO. Regardless if you kill elk, CO is not elk hunting in any way shape or form compared to what I experienced in a "non draw" unit.

As a resident of CO, I'm already trying to figure out how to hunt out of state next year.

OP
C

Well, I wish you the best in finding that spot!I killed three elk this year, and consider one of the three a legitimate elk hunt. The other two, combat hunting.

My hunting party bailed on CO OTC after 2 years of hunting as hard as we could and having absolutely no luck. Could've been that we sucked at it but it seemed completely fruitless where we were. Currently hunting elsewhere and collecting points for CO. It does seem like it needs to be addressed to get some numbers up at least where we were at.

Shraggs

WKR
That's pretty true, but it still doesn't mean CO can't improve. Just as an FYI as you seem to love taking shots whenever you can, I did kill two elk in CO right behind my camp. With nothing else to do, I arrowed a bear as well. Then I took my lazy ass up to WY and arrowed another bull of all places, right behind our 3rd camp.

Fun interesting thread. Enjoyment can also be introducing young or new people to elk hunting! Im new!😊

I’ve done the co otc archery a lot, many miles of hard work for a sighting. Very few hunters but so many biking hiking etc.

I’ve put a lot into equipment conditioning but lack the knowledge and with few sightings it’s hard to learn. I respect your premise, I can’t imagine having two opportunities in one season!

I’ll take you salmon fishing in the Great Lakes without competition in return!

Two years is nothing...look at success rates for OTC units they are not high, and most of the guys that do the killing are the same year after year. Elk hunting isn't like sitting at a bait pile waiting for a whitetail to walk by.
Maybe that's why we didn't see anything. I was sitting at the camper holding a piece of sagebrush hoping a bull would eat it out of my hand. I was covered in Sitka, had swaros, and custom built crazy a$$ caliber gun topped with a rangefinding thermal scope, I thought that's all it took. Normally during deer season, I take a golf club to whichever giant buck is in my living room.

Jokes aside, It definitely isn't whitetail hunting and bait piles are for kids. Thats why we covered so much ground looking before we decided to bail. Seems to me that if you can go 20 days of hunting over 2 seasons, not see an elk or hardly any sign, then move and immediately have success it might have been the area. Point being, I think we would have been better off to wait to get into a more densely populated area than to be able to get an OTC tag and go right then. We are by no means professional elk hunters and I'm sure some of the guys that harvest every year are better hunters and would have a better chance anywhere. Glad we did leave as we have filled freezers the last two years since we changed locations.