Read any good books lately?

So what's everyone reading these days?

I tend to go through spells of hunting then drift over to war then to fiction survivalist. All seem to entertain me for a book or so and then I need a change.

I would really like to read a good book about hunting the rockys, something decent, elk hunting, grizzly encounters. Some Jeremiah Johnson type stuff minus the history lessons of a Lewis and Clarke type read.

So throw them out there. And thanks

Not hunting related, but Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. Two retired Navy SEAL task unit commanders (mid 40's) and now they own a leadership consulting firm together. Very good and insightful book on personal growth and situational leadership.

I first learned about him on Joe Rogan's podcast and now I listen to Jocko's podcast all the time. Great stuff.

mntnguide

WKR
Alaska Yukon: Trophies won and lost...true story about a multi month hunt way deep in the yukon territory...makes you realize that complaining about a little rain in your tent is nothin!! Its a great read with some really cool old pictures

OP
M
I am just getting into one of Rinella's books now.

Mntnguide that definitely sounds like something I would be interested in.

Let's see:

The Big Burn by Timothy Egan. About the fires of 1910 and the birth of the conservation in the US. Gifford Pinchot, TR, etc.
Last Stand by Michael Punke. The saving of the american bison and all about George Bird Grinell
Fire and Brimstone by Michael Punke. North Butte Mining disaster
The Revenant by Michael Punke. Way better than the movie.
The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan. Just started this, about the Dust Bowl.

As you can see, when I find an author I like I read everything they have. Meateater and American Buffalo by Rinella are also excellent.

Alaska Yukon: Trophies won and lost...true story about a multi month hunt way deep in the yukon territory...makes you realize that complaining about a little rain in your tent is nothin!! Its a great read with some really cool old pictures

That book is going for $150+. Is it worth it?

Boys in the Boat is the best book I've read in the last few years.

Any of Theadore Roosevelt's hunting or expedition books are excellent and entertaining.

Not a Good Day to Die for when your interest swings back to the military side.

OR Archer

WKR
Not hunting related, but Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. Two retired Navy SEAL task unit commanders (mid 40's) and now they own a leadership consulting firm together. Very good and insightful book on personal growth and situational leadership.

I first learned about him on Joe Rogan's podcast and now I listen to Jocko's podcast all the time. Great stuff.

I'm half way through this book. Awesome stuff.

In the Heart of the Bitterroot Mountains: The Story of the Carlin Hunting Party, September-December 1893

I think I learned of this book some time ago from a similar thread here on Rokslide. I downloaded the book for free via Google Play, but it might (?) be available from Amazon, etc.

Schaaf

WKR
The Dangerous River- R.M. Patterson.
-Patterson made me want to go spend a year in the wilderness.

Horns in the High Country- Andy Russell
-very good storyteller who may arguably know more about bighorn sheep than anyone.

I also read all of Rinella's works and just started The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy.

charvey9

WKR
Will always reccomend Rinella's books, but been reading some public domain stuff lately on my kindle. Short, but good reads.

The Lost World - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
The Road, Call Of the Wild, White Fang - Jack London. Call of the Wild is one of my all-time favorite books.
31 years on the plains and in the mountains - Will Drannan
Hunting with the Bow & Arrow - Saxton Pope
50 years a Hunter and Trapper - Eldred Woodcock

LostArra

WKR
If you are short on time everyone should read To Build A Fire by Jack London.

Even if you aren't short on time you should read it.