Any good Books that focus on shooting technique?

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any book/resource recommendations that focus specifically on shooting technique? I'm not interest in shooting fundamentals such as wind, external ballistics, MOA vs MILs, etc. at this point. I am hoping to find a comprehensive guide to shooting technique i.e. where is your pocket, why is that your pocket, how to engage your pocket when prone, how hard to pull the gun into, how to pull the trigger, how to aim when standing, etc.?

Basically, a book that you would give someone if they had never held a rifle before.

Reason being I grew up hunting in the deep south where once a season we go out shoot 2 rounds at a paper plate at 100 yards. If it hit, then I was good til next deer season. As such I've got 20 years of bad habits and lack of knowledge to overcome and I would like to focus solely on my form with the rifle before I start worrying about any of the other stuff.

So...any recommendations?

Thanks for the help as always guys!

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be honest. I read both Cleckner's book and Galli's book and I wasn't overly thrilled with either. Both books are great for long range shooting and the fundamentals and science behind a lot external factors but they barely go into the details on shooting position and technique. Is there anything that focuses more on those topics?

ID_Matt

WKR
I'll be honest. I read both Cleckner's book and Galli's book and I wasn't overly thrilled with either. Both books are great for long range shooting and the fundamentals and science behind a lot external factors but they barely go into the details on shooting position and technique. Is there anything that focuses more on those topics?
It seems like the consensus on fundamentals and technique have changed so much over the years that a book might not be the best option... someone mentioned Modern Day Sniper which might be your best bet.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Check books by Wayne Van Zwoll. Hunter's Guide to Long-Range Shooting and The Hunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting are both excellent.

Pay for a 1 on 1 class. Get instant guidance and feedback. Stop bad habits from being formed and/or from continuing. It's even better if it is all on video.

Throw in the cost of ammo and the cost is not necessarily prohibitive.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have frank Gallis book, it’s a decent book and gives a great overview of the basics. I’m not much of a book guy, but have read the fundamentals section a few times.

I recommend some podcasts, there are quite a few out there that give out many of the tips and tricks.

Do you have the means to go shoot some matches? Free training, well not free but gives you stuff to work on and a media to gauge progress.

I recommend doing Kraft drills until you can shoot sub 2moa from hunting positions on command at 100 yards. No reason imo to focus on any more advanced skills till someone can achieve this. Some of the earlier rifle Kraft podcasts are also excellent.

This guy. and the website has a ton of bullet and shooting data.
Nathan Foster.
SnT

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any book/resource recommendations that focus specifically on shooting technique? I'm not interest in shooting fundamentals such as wind, external ballistics, MOA vs MILs, etc. at this point. I am hoping to find a comprehensive guide to shooting technique i.e. where is your pocket, why is that your pocket, how to engage your pocket when prone, how hard to pull the gun into, how to pull the trigger, how to aim when standing, etc.?

Basically, a book that you would give someone if they had never held a rifle before.

Reason being I grew up hunting in the deep south where once a season we go out shoot 2 rounds at a paper plate at 100 yards. If it hit, then I was good til next deer season. As such I've got 20 years of bad habits and lack of knowledge to overcome and I would like to focus solely on my form with the rifle before I start worrying about any of the other stuff.

So...any recommendations?

Thanks for the help as always guys!
I've gone through a similar evolution as you've described; I was satisfied for years with "good enough" shoot capabilities out to a couple hundred yards, but had a hard time finding comprehensive info on shooting techniques once I started getting further out. I'll share the synopsis of some of what I've gleaned and applied both in fixing my own shooting styles and teaching kids how to shoot properly.

1. Trigger control; get a good trigger and set it as light as you feel comfortable. Then with an unloaded rifle, aim at a distant object at max zoom, the smaller the better. Then practice dry firing. Get to the point that you can keep both eyes open, and the crosshairs don't move during the trigger pull, and is still precisely on target after the firing pin clicks. It sounds easier than it is... and will probably take dozens if not hundreds of dry fires to master. It also helps to do a few dry fires before a live range session to get the muscle memory in gear.

2. For stock/shoulder placement, I've found I have to rotate my shoulder more towards my trigger hand to square up and be more straight behind the rifle. But it will likely be slightly different for everyone. What I've found most helpful is to watch where the scope is pointing after the recoil. If it settles right or left of the target, I can try moving my body position more right or left to see if the scope settles closer to the target with the next round.

3. Natural point of aim: once I'm in position behind the scope, and more or less on target, I check to make sure I'm not forcing the rifle to be pointing from any angle. I close my eyes and take a breath. Then open to see if I'm still on target. Then I lightly pull straight back with the 3 non trigger fingers to see if the scope wants to move side to side or up down. If the downward pressure from my cheekweld is too heavy, I'll see the reticle move if I lightly lift my head to remove the downward pressure. Before the shot, I want to find the sweet spot where the rifle is pointing at the target more or less on its own (speaking primarily about a supported position like prone) and I can make my full cheekweld, stock shoulder position, and grip pressures without the rifle moving much.

4. Equipment setup: I've found that a vertical style grip works best for me. I can lightly pull straight back with my 3 non trigger fingers to isolate my trigger finger moment. Bipods and tripods are helpful for stability. Proper scope setup is also key... I know Formidilosus has a great step by step on here somewhere if you look for it. Basically use as bomber a scope and rings as you can afford, clean the scope ring screws, add lock tight, level the scope, torque to spec, and add a dab of finger nail polish to the outside as an indication of a screw loosening later. Also... do the tall target test to check if the reticle is aligned properly, and verify drops out to several hundred yards past where you intend to hunt.

5. Practice with the attachments you intend to hunt with. Even small amounts of weight differences can change how the rifle recoil.

6. Gadgets like barrel tuners can help tighten groups if you use factory ammo. often dramatically. Barrel harmonics is a real thing.

7. A rear rest is very helpful for shots beyond 300 yards.

prm

WKR
I’ll second THLR videos. The one thing I have not run across on his videos are position techniques other than prone. May be there, I just have not seen them.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
I've read a bunch (van Zwoll, Boddington, O'Connor) and none of them really do what I think you're talking about. Once you've seen a picture of the basic positions, that's about the end of it. I think to actually tune up the specifics you either need to experiment yourself, get in person tips from a good shooter, or take a class.

Last edited: