Quitting Alcohol

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
I’m am 31 now, partied heavy senior year and another full year, then went to the oilfield at age 18 basically didn’t have time to drink, working 80-90 hours every week for 8 years,now running a multi million dollar tree service. I was raised by alcoholics and my child hood was just a really long messy divorce. My wife of 5 years who is a nurse and manages an entire emergency department sees the worst of it(together for 14 now) shares the same sentiment and we just do not drink. It’s wierd sometimes, especially with friends, but if people are still pressuring or giving us shit about it, we cut those people out. We are all adults and it’s our choice, I have seen NOTHING good come from it, so why do it…..?

Also, our dinner bills are 50$ where as friends are 80-90 or more, in todays insane economy it’s a very easy way to save some money

hunt1up

WKR
I figured it was time for a bump. It'll be 4 months on no booze/beer for me on the 26th. Hunting season is winding down and I've been able to take stock of the past few months, going through a whole hunting season sober for the first time. Coincedentally this was probably one of the most successful hunting seasons to date. While I had plenty of good seasons while drinking beer throughout, this one seems far better. Maybe because I'm just seeing it all more clearly? I'm not sure.

Stopping drinking started with me checking to see who was in control around here. I've concluded that I wasn't. I thought maybe some day I'd give drinking another shot down the road. But now I just can't come up with a single good reason to go back.

I wish anyone else going through the same process the best of luck!

This thread pushed me over the edge to give up drinking. I am also at 4 months sober and agree that I cannot think of any reason to go back. I will admit that nothing has noticeably changed for the better, but I need to constantly remind myself of all the little ways alcohol was robbing me from being the best version of myself. I'll probably go back through and read this thread again as a reminder of all the feelings I had 4 months ago.

I am convinced of 2 things since quitting:

1) quitting alcohol will not solve all my problems.
2) drinking alcohol will not solve any of my problems, and can only add problems or exacerbate them.

For today I am choosing to not drink.

gav

FNG
Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
Quiting will help your joints alcohol Is very inflamatory

schmalzy

WKR
I figured it was time for a bump. It'll be 4 months on no booze/beer for me on the 26th. Hunting season is winding down and I've been able to take stock of the past few months, going through a whole hunting season sober for the first time. Coincedentally this was probably one of the most successful hunting seasons to date. While I had plenty of good seasons while drinking beer throughout, this one seems far better. Maybe because I'm just seeing it all more clearly? I'm not sure.

Stopping drinking started with me checking to see who was in control around here. I've concluded that I wasn't. I thought maybe some day I'd give drinking another shot down the road. But now I just can't come up with a single good reason to go back.

Excited for you man. Way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR

Awesome job. You nailed most of the points I’ve relayed to folks when they ask about my sobriety. There is a legitimate fog that lifts after a few months.

Kilboars

WKR
I’ve decided to take a more serious stab at quitting in 2023.
I’ll be 60 in March and want to really focus on being in great shape and improving my life and lifestyle over all and drinking keeps holding me back.

I’ve even got a few good friends onboard.

I’ve decided to take a more serious stab at quitting in 2023.
I’ll be 60 in March and want to really focus on being in great shape and improving my life and lifestyle over all and drinking keeps holding me back.

I’ve even got a few good friends onboard.

I plan to do it again in 23 as well. Baby #3 on the way and I don’t want to waste my days feeling like shit in the morning any longer. I’m by no means out of control but I think it can only make me a better person. I owe it to my kids to be the best I can be. My family’s got a history over addiction and I don’t want to get to the point of no return.

Trapline

FNG
I found drinking rock star energy drinks took the craving for beer away, or replaced it for me and I was a 30 pack a night beer drinker for a good 20 years. I have a beer a few times a year now and is mostly never finished and poured out.

Kilboars

WKR
I plan to do it again in 23 as well. Baby #3 on the way and I don’t want to waste my days feeling like shit in the morning any longer. I’m by no means out of control but I think it can only make me a better person. I owe it to my kids to be the best I can be. My family’s got a history over addiction and I don’t want to get to the point of no return.

Fantastic. I look forward to being clear, and just better overall.

I enjoy it but it doesn’t control my life.

Pdzoller

WKR
Just found this thread. Glad to see it here. I’ll be seven years in March. It has changed my life. Being able to look at myself in the mirror without being disappointed is amazing. My marriage is better and all my worth while relationships are better. I could never have done it without help.

Kilboars

WKR
26 days alcohol free and holding.

The fact that it seems longer tells me that I had made drinking apart of my every day life. I’m really not missing it only pushback I’m getting so far is from my wife worried about going on vacations and me not drinking at all.

Thank you for all your support and encouraging words and stories.

I have a good friend who was a moderate drinker. He never seemed to be able to afford to go on hunts with me.. Come to find out he was spending more on regular drinking than he would have on the hunts.. He was a really close friend so we could talk openly about it... We got together with his wife (who was good with him hunting, but didn't like his drinking). Most of his drinking was in social settings (ball games, tailgating, etc, etc). The game went like this... Most of the time when he drank he was either with his wife or me.. If he refused a drink saying "I don't drink" he could bank the cost of that drink and the money went toward anything he wanted relating to hunting/fishing. If he accepted the drink or didn't respond with the "I don't drink" he had to double the cost of the drink and reduce his banked money.. Happy to say it worked and we've hunted in Colorado or Montana over the last 3 years.. He knew hunting out west was expensive, but had never put a pencil to what drinking was costing him.. It has done wonders for his well being and especially his family life.. His wife is happy to have her husband back and happy to see actual joy back in his life doing what he loves to do in his spare time (hunting, fishing, etc) All the best..

What really makes it nice is when we're out and someone offers him a drink and he looks over at me or his wife, smiles (because we know what's going on) and says "I don't drink".. I'll look back with a thumbs up and mount cha-ching!!

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
26 days alcohol free and holding.

The fact that it seems longer tells me that I had made drinking apart of my every day life. I’m really not missing it only pushback I’m getting so far is from my wife worried about going on vacations and me not drinking at all.

Thank you for all your support and encouraging words and stories.

Awesome job! As for the vacation and not drinking, I too was worried about "missing out" during all the usual drinking events...deer camp, work trade shows, vacations. I've found that just having something in my hand makes a huge difference. Be it an NA beer, sparkling water in a glass, anything to just occupy my old drinking hand. It's a similar oral fixation to smoking I'd say. Once I've settled into the situation I've concluded that it doesn't really feel any different whatsoever.

Today is my daughter's 12th birtday and also 5 months sober for me. It has been one of, if not the best decision of my life. I haven't been able to come up with any negatives to quitting other than I might be a little more boring now, which I'm ok with.

Kilboars

WKR
I have a good friend who was a moderate drinker. He never seemed to be able to afford to go on hunts with me.. Come to find out he was spending more on regular drinking than he would have on the hunts.. He was a really close friend so we could talk openly about it... We got together with his wife (who was good with him hunting, but didn't like his drinking). Most of his drinking was in social settings (ball games, tailgating, etc, etc). The game went like this... Most of the time when he drank he was either with his wife or me.. If he refused a drink saying "I don't drink" he could bank the cost of that drink and the money went toward anything he wanted relating to hunting/fishing. If he accepted the drink or didn't respond with the "I don't drink" he had to double the cost of the drink and reduce his banked money.. Happy to say it worked and we've hunted in Colorado or Montana over the last 3 years.. He knew hunting out west was expensive, but had never put a pencil to what drinking was costing him.. It has done wonders for his well being and especially his family life.. His wife is happy to have her husband back and happy to see actual joy back in his life doing what he loves to do in his spare time (hunting, fishing, etc) All the best..

Thanks for sharing.
I to like good wine and bourbon and noticed how much less going out cost now that I’m not drinking. Like half to 1/3 of the cost it used to.

Kilboars

WKR
Awesome job! As for the vacation and not drinking, I too was worried about "missing out" during all the usual drinking events...deer camp, work trade shows, vacations. I've found that just having something in my hand makes a huge difference. Be it an NA beer, sparkling water in a glass, anything to just occupy my old drinking hand. It's a similar oral fixation to smoking I'd say. Once I've settled into the situation I've concluded that it doesn't really feel any different whatsoever.

Today is my daughter's 12th birtday and also 5 months sober for me. It has been one of, if not the best decision of my life. I haven't been able to come up with any negatives to quitting other than I might be a little more boring now, which I'm ok with.

That’s fantastic. Thank you.

Yes, I really enjoy NA beer and I do lots of sparkling water mixes.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had 3 beers on new years eve, they weren't going down all that smoothly. I figured I'd take a few weeks off but havn't drank since then so like 26 days today not that I'm really counting.

My sleep has been so much better and my workouts have been much more solid this past month than they had been in the last year or 2. At this point I'm feeling so good that I don't even want to drink, I'm also down like 8lbs without dieting so thats cool too.

Hard for me to argue the benefits of drinking less/not drinking.

Last edited:
We do "dry January" most years to kick off the new year on a healthier track. Coincidentally, we received a Soda Stream for Christmas last year. I'm usually skeptical of gadgets, but the Soda Stream really is awesome. With some soda water and lime in the evening, I have not even thought about missing out on my nightly IPA.

I would highly recommend a Soda Stream, especially for those who enjoy beer. We have not even noticed the change in our lifestyle, and the wife and I may just keep on going dry after the end of the month.