Quitting Alcohol

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m on three weeks tomorrow. Hasn’t been terrible. Drinking som NAs, club with lime or just a flavored seltzer.

The gut punch for me was when my 13yr old son saw me drinking an NA and asked, “Dad, you’re not drinking?” I told him no and that I was trying to quit. Damn boy gave me a hug. I told him to keep me honest so he’ll every now and then check what I’m drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was the child in that situation. You might not think so now but you sir have set the right dialogue with your son. Being honest, open and human will benefit the both of you.

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up my 20 year chip recently, so I can share only my experience.
I was not a heavy drinker, nor a moderate. I went hard in the paint until I hit liver failure...in the end of my drinking I had to do an 8 ball of coke just to stay awake long enough to drink the amount I needed to avoid seizures. I woke every day swearing I wasn't going to drink and ended up on my lips by noon. All I can say about it is that quitting drinking, whether alcoholic like me or not, can improve your life in ways you cannot imagine. I was 28 when I got sober and while not pretty by any stretch, it's the foundation of everything I have in my life today. My wife, 3 children, my career and host of friends and family that look to me for support and love and understanding. I am present in the moment and not hung over nor lost in a haze of blackouts. The only thing I have done right by AA standards is not pick up a drink or a drug for 20 years. Thousands of mistakes and errors that have caused pain and turmoil in my life and others, but I can still show up, change my behavior for the next encounter and learn to move forward. I know the OP and many didn't drink like me and I don't judge and I am not selling AA or anything else for that matter. Maybe just putting my own stuff out on the forum because I am still amazed I get to wake up and live this beautiful life at home and in the field when I should've been in a box 20 years ago. Truthfully, Archery and hunting and time afield gives me that edification and became my new addiction when I gave it all up and I lament all the time I missed being out in the wilderness while I was lost in a bottle. No one asked, but that's my experience. I hope whatever anyone's reasons are to give it up, that you find the peace and comfort I did. Best wishes to all struggling with any addiction.

Hardtak

FNG
everything in moderation
That is simply not true for alcoholics. It is not helpful to those that struggle in fact it is the reason many people keep drinking, they want to moderate, just drink like a normal person. The fact is an alcoholic can not drink in moderation or like a normal person, that moderate amount is only a down payment on the next 1000. If you can drink moderately then congrats, booze was meant for you, and you have no understanding of the grips alcohol can have. I am not trying to pick on you individually just this mentally in general is out dated, based on nothing and is not helpful to people that struggle. Sure it makes ones self sound cool but that is about it.

Hardtak

FNG
I just wanted to add that many old school folks simply say an alcoholic simply lacks willpower. Well willpower doesn't work with severe diarrhea stuck in a traffic jam nor does it work any better against drinking. I have quit smoking after 15 years cold turkey by willpower, can manage weight and food with willpower, cannabis I can moderate with willpower, drinking to an alcoholic not a chance.

I’m inspired by the stories in here, this has been encouraging. I told my wife I was not drinking during the month of November, so it has been 12 days.

I don’t know if I’ll stop forever or not, but I sure have slept better and felt better in the morning so far. I drink wine and really enjoy a glass with dinner. My problem is that if I have a glass, I’ll have the whole bottle and feel nothing except crappy sleep and a stomach ache in the morning.

I hate to think of giving it up for life, but it would save me a ton of money, not to mention avoid health problems. I might also be there for my kids more instead of going to sleep early every night.

Yaremkiv

FNG
Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
Quit smoking, drinking, drugs. Huge benefits to mind, health and much more. God bless you and good luck.

hunt1up

WKR
I’m coming up in 3 months at the end of November. I’ve come to the conclusion that stopping drinking has been one of the most profound experiences of my life.

I’m happier, less fat, more well rested, less impulsive, and sharper. The benefits have been huge.

I was always afraid of living without alcohol and now I’m afraid of ever living with it again.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I’m coming up in 3 months at the end of November. I’ve come to the conclusion that stopping drinking has been one of the most profound experiences of my life.

I’m happier, less fat, more well rested, less impulsive, and sharper. The benefits have been huge.

I was always afraid of living without alcohol and now I’m afraid of ever living with it again.
Wow that is really inspiring to read this morning!

The pros of not drinking are definitely vast.

Kilboars

WKR
I’m inspired by the stories in here, this has been encouraging. I told my wife I was not drinking during the month of November, so it has been 12 days.

I don’t know if I’ll stop forever or not, but I sure have slept better and felt better in the morning so far. I drink wine and really enjoy a glass with dinner. My problem is that if I have a glass, I’ll have the whole bottle and feel nothing except crappy sleep and a stomach ache in the morning.

I hate to think of giving it up for life, but it would save me a ton of money, not to mention avoid health problems. I might also be there for my kids more instead of going to sleep early every night.

Ditto

schmalzy

WKR

Excited for you man. Life really is better without it for a lot of us.

“How we live our days, is how we live our lives.”

The decisions we make every day add up, until someday we realize we’ve become the sum of our choices.

I quit drinking almost 18 years ago. It almost got me.

Its been encouraging reading through this post. I genuinely wish everyone here good luck. Keep fighting; even when it’s hard. Especially when it’s hard!

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider
I have been following this thread since the onset because I had a lot of the same feelings expressed already. I gave it up in September because I wanted to focus on being a better hunter. I will say that everything in my life got better. Sleep, energy, mood, relationships with my kids and wife, motivation, etc. I don't really miss it. Alcohol controlled me for a long time but not anymore. So many things in my life used to revolve around alcohol. I could waste an entire day by watching a ball game and sipping away. Not anymore. OP: thanks for starting this and thanks to everyone else that shared their stories.