quick question fellas. Sitka gear comparable to Kuiu?

Luked

WKR
just wondering reason I ask is my archery shop I shoot for here locally can get Sitka gear. and I normally can get it all at a pretty big discount so was wondering if it was comparable to Kuiu or no?

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
I have some of both and think highly of both. I don't think you could miss with either. Kuiu has better pricing. I have hardly ever paid full price for sitka. If you get a good discount, I wouldn't hesitate to buy sitka stuff. It's also nice to be able to try it on, which sounds like your situation and to have access to inventory, which is kuiu's biggest weakness.

Az Hunter

FNG
I recommend trying the clothes on. The Sitka 90% pants fit great on me but the mountain pants just did not fit right. The Kuiu Attack pants fit great and use them the most.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
that's one problem I have is there isn't any where close I can do that at around here

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned both. I went back to Sitka due to better durability and I think the camo is better. I currently own two pairs of KUIU Attack pants and they have several holes in them. I have an unused pair of Attack pants I am going to sell and buy more Sitka Gear. I do like KUIU rain gear and have kept it, but I haven't owned Sitka rain gear since it came out. I am sure it is better now.

For longevity of the pants I would go with Sitka. I own Kuiu gear and my brother owns Sitka stuff. As far as jackets and stuff for your top I think both are great. Sitka's pants seem to hold up better. My brother wears the Sitka Timberline pant and those things are awesome. I have the Kuiu Attack pant as well and I can tell you I will be replcaing them due to wear before my brother replaces his pants. Sitka also makes pants in regular and tall sizes. Both companies make great gear. As far as rain gear goes I haven't used either.

I like certain pieces of each better. I would not say one is any more durable than the other when used as intended. Pants I tend to rely on Kuiu more

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
My neighbor is a guide and swears by kuiu for multiple reasons. I like Sitka because the form and function is right up here with Patagucci, Arcteryx and Cloudveil. That and after owning dry tops made with Gore, Torray and eVent I found only one fabric held up to the rigors of whitewater paddling while staying dry and still breathing. I will say that I did go a size up with Sitka jackets and feel as though I made the right choice

Outwest

WKR
I own a few pieces from both Kuiu and Sitka. I haven't really compared similar pieces between the lines (i.e, kuiu attack and Sitka ascent or mountain pants) but have just mixed and matched based on what I like.
Like others have said, the big downside to Kuiu is that unless you live in Nor. Cal., it can be hard to get to try on the gear before you drop the dough on it. Although, the Kuiu returns and warrantees department has always been good for me. A little slow, but good CS.
If I were to go for a whole new clothing system right now, it would have a little of both, but probably more Sitka than Kuiu. I have had better experience with the Sitka rain gear than the Kuiu, and Sitka just fits me better.
It really comes down to a personal preference, both are great companies dedicated to making gear for serious hunters.

Sitkas warranty and costumer service is definitely better. The biggest difference is pricing. They both are awsome.

D_greg03

FNG
My hunting buddy wears all kuiu. I have sitka. Both are bomber gear. I think sitka is a little more innovative or "fancy" from a design stand point. A higher attention to detail. I don't think you can beat the optifade open country pattern either.

I own some 50+ pcs of Sitka and prefer it over Kuiu. Sitka offers more utility while Kuiu offers a bit lighter weight. If I were heading to the high mountains above the treeline chasing goats then the Kuiu would be my choice but for general hunting of all types, the pockets and cuts of the SG suit me fine.

kodiakfly

WKR
Except by the Jetstream! :D
I was thinking the same thing!

I like Sitka. I beat the hell out of mine and it's all be great. I've got a couple pieces of Kuiu, but I find myself reaching for the Sitka over the Kuiu. I think it's a Ford vs Chevy type thing. Each will have it's pros and cons, but at the end of the day, it's your preference. Sitka does cost more, but with it's availability and retailers, you can find it on sale if you don't have a pro deal, which is also fairly easy to come by.

MattB

WKR
They are both great options, with the Kuiu being lighter and cheaper and the Sitka being more expensive (at full retail) and heavier.

7stw

WKR
I've sold all my sitka gear except one pair of mtn ascent pants and replaced it all with kuiu. Way better fabrics and adaptability IMO than sitka ever thought of having. More attractive pricing and I find kuiu more durable than sitka. (Others seem to disagree) but in an apples to Apples comparison kuiu wins in my experience. As others have said as well it's a ford vs Chevy or 1911 vs glock type debate and comes down to personal prefrence.