Quick clean of brass with brake cleaner?

SDHNTR

WKR
If I just have a handful of cases to clean quickly, is brake cleaner ok to use? I don’t like running dirty brass through my dies. Thinking a quick blast inside and the primer pockets just to knock loose crud out and maybe take off some case lube after sizing. I’ve heard the horror stories of deadly toxic fumes created when welding over something that was cleaned with brake cleaner so it seams a powder burn could cause similar issues? But it’s contained inside the barrel so maybe not? And shot outside? Any health/safety concerns giving cases a shot of brake cleaner? Thoughts?

Last edited:

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Been doing it this way for the last 2500 rounds or so, no issues yet. If they are nasty I spray brake clean on a rag and wipe them down before sizing. If they aren’t bad I just wipe them down with a dry rag or not at all. After sizing I spray a rag and wipe the lube off them. I do give them a quick steel wool to the neck/shoulder before sizing though.

Mag_7s

WKR
If it doesn't weaken the zink bond in your brass its probably ok. I used to pour a little brasso in my media tumbler. Polished up very nice. Then I read on 6mmbr that was a big no no.

andyaz

FNG
If I just have a handful of cases to clean quickly, is brake cleaner ok to use? I don’t like running dirty brass through my dies. Thinking a quick blast inside and the primer pockets just to knock loose crud out and maybe take off some case lube after sizing. I’ve heard the horror stories of deadly toxic fumes created when welding over something that was cleaned with brake cleaner so it seams a powder burn could cause similar issues? But it’s contained inside the barrel so maybe not? And shot outside? Any health/safety concerns giving cases a shot of brake cleaner? Thoughts?
no it won't cause similar issues at all.

the issue u are talking about is welding after cleaning with chlorinated brake cleaner, the arc is very strong UV light and breaks the chemical into phosgene and messes you up bad.

no UV light with the powder burn, also it will be long evaporated by then. this was for guys that sprayed a part to clean then struck an arc immediately.

if you just don't want crud on your dies though, water works fine to get the particulates out. or a bucket of acetone. new non-chlorinated brake cleaner is mostly just acetone.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Tf
no it won't cause similar issues at all.

the issue u are talking about is welding after cleaning with chlorinated brake cleaner, the arc is very strong UV light and breaks the chemical into phosgene and messes you up bad.

no UV light with the powder burn, also it will be long evaporated by then. this was for guys that sprayed a part to clean then struck an arc immediately.

if you just don't want crud on your dies though, water works fine to get the particulates out. or a bucket of acetone. new non-chlorinated brake cleaner is mostly just acetone.
exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I use 91-99% alcohol for just general cleaning by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, I sometimes use that, and acetone for a quick wipe off of the exterior. But the nice thing about brake cleaner is the high-pressure little nozzle straw that blasts off loose crud.