Clean brass first or resize first?

tdhanses

WKR
I clean then deprime and size, cleaning out the tumbling media from the primer pockets is a pia, after I resize I trim etc I clean out the pockets as I debur and chamfer.

204_ruger

Lil-Rokslider
When I resize knocks primers out. Clean brass look brass over. I done it that way from day 1.

BFR

WKR
I think it’s mostly a personal preference. I clean first then resize/deprive, clean primer pocket and inspect brass, I feel that cracks show up better on shiny brass. This works for me because I’m OCD and weight every powder charge, speed isn’t an issue. Crazy considering I use a Dillon 500B Press, but reloading gives me time away from everyday hassles and helps with my PTSD.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Deprime
Anneal
2hr tumble
Lube
Size
Mandrel
Trim
15min tumble
Prime
Charge
Seat

Every time same way

Last edited:
Reactions: FLS
What’s missing for me here is I run a cheap RCBS press that only deprimes so my T7 stays grit free.

Deprime w/ Separate Press (RCBS has the best decapping dies, I use redding for the rest but there decapper is quick, easy, and cheap to change a pin when it breaks)

Stainless Tumble 4 Hours
Dry in dehydrator
Lube w/ one shot
Resize with Redding S Die, shoulder bump down .002 with .003 neck tension down from loaded neck
Clean 30mins remove Lube
Dry in dehydrator
Anneal (Always repeat with the same gas pressure and time in Annealeez)
Neck Mandrel
Trim
Chamfer/deburr
Prime
Charge
Seat

Last edited:
So are those universal de capping dies good for all calibers and cartridges? Hence the term universal?

Some are limited by very long cases (ala 50bmg referenced above) and some use a pin that is too large for cases with small flash holes like seen in lapua x47 and 223 brass. If you get one with a small decapping pin, it still works fine on the brass with standard size flash holes.

Gir

FNG
Quick rinse in water, deprime, full clean, then resize. The thought being to capture as much lead prior to working and spreading around