Quality Scope Rings

I picked up a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308

I’m still in the process of figuring out a scope.

In the meantime, can anyone point me in the right direction for high-quality scope rings? No idea where to start with those.

— WBC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sdupontjr

WKR
I have same gun just in the older T3.

Few questions:
- What scope are you putting on it? 40mm - 56mm
- Are you worried about weight? Packing / hiking, box stands, Bench???

Reason I ask is there are options out there that keep the optic very low and lite and then you could always put a rail on top and use whatever rings you want. On my 308, its set up for very low light hunting. So weight isn't an issue on my setup because I have a 4-16x56 Schmidt Bender Polar T96 on mine. I hunt stands and ony have to carry mine for a few hundred yards then prop it up in stand. I went with the moutain tactical rail because it has a recoil pin in it that mates with the tikka receiver. The SB if 34mm tube so went with Vortex Precision 34mm Rings. The ring / rail combo allowed the 56mm objective to clear the barrel.

I put rails on both my Tikka 308 and my Tikka 7mag. The 7mag has 30mm warne rings.

Now if weight is a concern and you have a much smaller objective, I know lots of folks on here use sportmatch rings which mount directly to the Tikka reciever and allow for a much lower mount. I'm sure those with sportmatch rings will chime in soon enough.

Sportsmatch t084s work perfect with a swfa 6x or 3-9, which happen to be fantastic, affordable scopes.

If you pick something with a tube larger than 30mm, either run a rail as described or wait for unknown munitions to release the larger tikka rings.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll have to wait until you get your scope so you can fit everything to each other and to the rifle. But I really like Talley rings. For about $50 a set they are a very good value for the quality.

Mojave

WKR
You’ll have to wait until you get your scope so you can fit everything to each other and to the rifle. But I really like Talley rings. For about $50 a set they are a very good value for the quality.
Talley rings suck, I have only broken about 8 pairs of rings while hunting. All of them were ultralight talleys.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
Talley rings suck, I have only broken about 8 pairs of rings while hunting. All of them were ultralight talleys.
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I’ve personally had very good luck with Talley rings but that could just be me.

Talleys have a reputation for breaking, and for not being round. Spurhs also have a reputation with a few folks for breaking.

BLJ

WKR
Sportsmatch TO84 with a SWFA 3-15 and Leupold Backcountry with a VX5 3-15. Both work well with good clearance on the objective bell and the bolt handle.

Mojave

WKR
Talleys have a reputation for breaking, and for not being round. Spurhs also have a reputation with a few folks for breaking.
I can't imagine what a guy has to do to a Spuhr to break it. But I am sure anything is possible.

Reactions: XLR
Lots of good answers here. I previously had a DNZ and then I went sportsmatch for my 6.5 creed after reading about some tally issues. For my 300 I went rail (mountain tactical) and rings (nightforce) and paid the weight penalty. I am a bit paranoid about failure points like rings and felt like I wanted soemthing more solid on a light-ish magnum gun. After seeing and shooting the sportsmatch, I am not sure the rail and rings are any more solid under normal wear and tear. None have given me any issues.

Last edited:
@Dobermann also recently put together a good list of the Tikka mounting options that is worth looking at:

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I have rails on my newest rifles. After much research, I was deciding between vortex pmr/seekins and arc. I will go with the arc ring for the ones I am building now.

Badseed

WKR
Quality rings (generally matched sets and do not require any lapping)- warne, nightforce, seekins, vortex PMR, hawkins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
378 on a Weatherby mark v
Well, I've heard they can break, thankfully I've never had that problem, I know the Pres Gary and I've been to their shop, first class organization. I do make sure mine are all torqued equally and I think that helps but I know the 378 Wby is a beast!