Quality Scope Rings

TheHammer

WKR
I've used Talley rings for decades, I'm curious how you have broken 8 pair while hunting?
3 months ago I’d 10000% agree with you. But the week of my rifle elk hunt this year. I went to confirm my 600yd and wasn’t on paper. Dropped to a 300yd target n was every direction on the 4x4’ board, for a rifle that typically stacks em at 500. My front Talley broke, right at the base from mounting hole outward. I have a couple of theories to this. 1 the weight of the scope over time stretched the base mount screw and caused movement which initiated the shock to crack the mount. 2. The screws were over tightened to begin with so the recoil shock load was able to stress the mounting screws. 3. The action wasn’t true torquing the scope tube and the recoil shock load sent enough energy over time stress cracking the weakest link, being the mount. Or all 3. After this I began inspecting my rifles & a handful of others. I decided to lap a few sets of rings (learning curve?) A ring that has been mentioned several times here, I lapped them, based on what I saw on the scope tube. There was distortion and wasn’t as true as most would hope, it’s mounted on a rifle that is consistently recommended on this forum. So this got me to thinking. All these failed scopes people speak of, how many were install error? I build engines and see what tolerances due in several applications. So when lapping the rings on a rifle, I look at it the same as line honing an engine block. A couple tqs, an over tq or a few heat cycles, it’s obvious to me there is little ownership in failures. How many actions are true? Atleast to similar tolerances as these ring companies tote? How many peoples bed their rails? How many use alignment tools setting rings? Things aren’t made like they use to be made? Qc is out the window, poor employees, looser tolerances to free up some profit? Sorry for rambling. Does anyone else look at these things or wonder of any of these points?

Last edited:
OP
WookieBowcaster
Update.

I decided on a scope:

Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 30mm Tube Dead-Hold BDC Riflescope

After reading though the comments on this thread and one of the others mentioned — my preference would be direct mounting.

That said, I wear glasses. Eye relief is something I want to get right. Sounds as if a rail might give me more flexibility moving the scope forward or backward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rootacres

WKR
For a hunting rifle I have used DNZ, Warne (Mountain Tech) and Hawkins. I have the Hawkins with the integrated bubble level now. No plans to change. The most bomb proof setup is probably the SPUHR but that comes with a few compromises. I had a decent fall on my rifle when I had the Warne, made my longest shot to date shortly there after. Scope and rings held up solid.

OP
WookieBowcaster
So far, the Warne have me most intrigued. First impression, a good website goes a long way I guess.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I like S&K for a base+ring setup. If mounting on a rail, I like Nightforce.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
WookieBowcaster
Rails for scope mounts. Noob question incoming:

Why are some products labeled as 0 MOA and others 20 MOA? I’m not understanding that.

My best guess is that it relates to the thickness of the rail and how much further up the scope sits vertically?

OP
WookieBowcaster
I have same gun just in the older T3.

Few questions:
- What scope are you putting on it? 40mm - 56mm
- Are you worried about weight? Packing / hiking, box stands, Bench???

Reason I ask is there are options out there that keep the optic very low and lite and then you could always put a rail on top and use whatever rings you want. On my 308, its set up for very low light hunting. So weight isn't an issue on my setup because I have a 4-16x56 Schmidt Bender Polar T96 on mine. I hunt stands and ony have to carry mine for a few hundred yards then prop it up in stand. I went with the moutain tactical rail because it has a recoil pin in it that mates with the tikka receiver. The SB if 34mm tube so went with Vortex Precision 34mm Rings. The ring / rail combo allowed the 56mm objective to clear the barrel.

I put rails on both my Tikka 308 and my Tikka 7mag. The 7mag has 30mm warne rings.

Now if weight is a concern and you have a much smaller objective, I know lots of folks on here use sportmatch rings which mount directly to the Tikka reciever and allow for a much lower mount. I'm sure those with sportmatch rings will chime in soon enough.

I decided on a scope:

Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 30mm Tube Dead-Hold BDC Riflescope

I am considering a rail too. The products from Warne are what I’ve gravitating towards.

Rails for scope mounts. Noob question incoming:

Why are some products labeled as 0 MOA and others 20 MOA? I’m not understanding that.

My best guess is that it relates to the thickness of the rail and how much further up the scope sits vertically?

it's the angle machined into the rail. 0 moa rails are perfectly flat. 20 moa rails have a 20 moa slope from the rear (higher) to the front (lower).

Not sure how you picked that scope, but good luck. The prevailing preference around here is for first focal plane, mil scopes that dial reliably and hold zero. in the $400 range, that basically means SWFA 3-9 or 3-15s. There's a ton to read and learn for free about scopes right here:

it's the angle machined into the rail. 0 moa rails are perfectly flat. 20 moa rails have a 20 moa slope from the rear (higher) to the front (lower).

Not sure how you picked that scope, but good luck. The prevailing preference around here is for first focal plane, mil scopes that dial reliably and hold zero. in the $400 range, that basically means SWFA 3-9 or 3-15s. There's a ton to read and learn for free about scopes right here:
I have a Vortex Diamondback for my AR. I got it used and shot with a few hundred rounds and then it lost the alignment. My gunsmith could not get to zero in and so I sent it back to the manufacturer. They actually replaced it for free. Great warranty!! As far as mounting I used 1/2 inch vortex rings. Although I am a beginner shooter it worked well for me.

ams30gts

FNG
I currently have American Defense Recon-S 1-Piece on my Tikka. But I have also used Seekins and Badger with excellent success. It really comes down to budget.

dsmiley

FNG
I like seekins rings myself. In my opinion rings are not an area to skimp on. Everything goes through them.