Q Trash Panda

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone running the Q trash panda? Curious on how it’s been. Tech and features seem to be there and the price is right.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone running the Q trash panda? Curious on how it’s been. Tech and features seem to be there and the price is right.
What tech/price are you referring to in your statement?

In the thunderbeast manufacturer summit it’s pretty far down the 30cal list when you factor in its weight and length. IE there are either lighter and / or shorter suppressors that are quieter for the same price.

I’m newer in the suppressor game (just one so far) and helping a buddy compare for his purchase and frankly don’t find much enticing in the Q trash panda but I am all ears if there is something I am over looking.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider

In the thunderbeast manufacturer summit it’s pretty far down the 30cal list when you factor in its weight and length. IE there are either lighter and / or shorter suppressors that are quieter for the same price.

I’m newer in the suppressor game (just one so far) and helping a buddy compare for his purchase and frankly don’t find much enticing in the Q trash panda but I am all ears if there is something I am over looking.
I have one, its my only suppressor, for about 3 years now and a few thousand rounds of 5.56, 260 Rem, and lately some 300 wsm. It's not the shortest or lightest. However, it's full auto rated. And it came with 2 muzzle devices (the cherry bomb) for 1/2-28 and 5/8-24, so that covered my AR and hunting rifles. I don't regret it, but buying 3 years later would probably go with something else. I have no problems with it. For a full auto rated can it's probably a reasonably light can. The other thing I like is that I can use the rifle braked, with a suppressor, or with a blast redirection device (the "Whistle tip").

So that allows me to shoot with a brake on the range or in the alpine when there's time to put hearing protection in, or to carry it with the whistle tip blast redirection when going through thick brush and might have to shoot a bear in a hurry and not completely ruin my hearing, or use it suppressed. But I find I just use it suppressed the vast majority of the time.

It's been repeatable, best I can tell. My 20" barrel .260 Rem CTR has at most 1 MOA of shift at 100 yds, suppressed vs brake vs blast redirection device. Most loads it looks like 1/2 to 3/4 MOA of shift. So that works out well.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider

It’s $850 comes with two muzzle devices and you can usually get a free tax stamp for it. Most others in its class you’ll be 1300ish with two muzzle devices and a stamp.

Additionally they list their weights including the muzzle device versus other manufacturers listing weight without their device or the bottom adapter of the can. Usually adding another 4-6 ounces or so. Their muzzle device is about half the weight of others and the use of socket/ wrench flats on the muzzle device and end of can is very smart in my opinion. As far sd sound reduction I don’t really care as long as it’s decent. Anything is better than blowing hearing out on a snap shot with a muzzle brake. Did that twice this season where I didn’t have time to get plugs in. Overall seems like a great can at a great value. I haven’t heard anything bad about it yet, but want to make sure before I spend the money.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Trash Panda uses fairly dated baffle technology. It’s jammed full of 60 degree straight wall baffles that utilize vent holes to help reduce back pressure. It’s one of the best cans for subsonic 300BLK, but supersonic performance is not the best.

Go to PewScience.com and check out the rankings by ammo type, and look for both .308 and 5.56. For 308, (it’s a 30cal can), it doesn’t stack well. There are lighter, cheaper, and quieter cans on the market. Also, if you want a brake-style muzzle device, a good Plan B style device (ironically the style that Q introduced with the Cherry Bomb) can be had from various mfgs (Rearden, Liberty Precision Machine, etc) and will only add 2 - 2.5oz

For hunting, I recommend direct thread attachment anyway. But whatever you buy, I’d do more research first.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I am not “into” suppressors but bought a Q Trashpanda since it was available at the time, fairly light, and could use the brakes to move from gun to gun. I have been very happy. I keep the cherry bomb brake on but move the can from gun to gun with zero poi shifts. I am sure something is minutely better somewhere but I don’t know what I am missing. I would recommend it

Lou

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s $850 comes with two muzzle devices and you can usually get a free tax stamp for it. Most others in its class you’ll be 1300ish with two muzzle devices and a stamp.

Additionally they list their weights including the muzzle device versus other manufacturers listing weight without their device or the bottom adapter of the can. Usually adding another 4-6 ounces or so. Their muzzle device is about half the weight of others and the use of socket/ wrench flats on the muzzle device and end of can is very smart in my opinion. As far sd sound reduction I don’t really care as long as it’s decent. Anything is better than blowing hearing out on a snap shot with a muzzle brake. Did that twice this season where I didn’t have time to get plugs in. Overall seems like a great can at a great value. I haven’t heard anything bad about it yet, but want to make sure before I spend the money.
Coming with a muzzle device doesn’t sound like a feature if you’re wanting to avoid blowing out your ears with the can off (but you’d have that brake on). Sounds like a lighter direct thread can MIGHT be more what you’re after, which would be $800-900 but likely no free stamp, but it’s certainly a marketplace of options out there! That thunderbeast summit report is worth a look if you haven’t already.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Are the Q muzzle devices compatible with other suppressors out there?

Not sure if I could put Hyperion or Diligent Defense, etc cans on my Cherry Bomb equipped rifles.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Are the Q muzzle devices compatible with other suppressors out there?

Not sure if I could put Hyperion or Diligent Defense, etc cans on my Cherry Bomb equipped rifles.
So long as a suppressor has the appropriate "Plan B"style adapter, yes. The Hyperion though, is proprietary I believe. Most suppressors these days are "HUB" compatible, which will take a Plan B adapter from Q, or an Atlas adapter from Rearden MFG, and that makes it compatible with the Cherry Bomb, or any other "Plan B" style muzzle device.

Diligent Defense, OCL, Liberty Precision Machine, etc are all HUB compatible suppressors.

I have the Q Half Nelson which is the direct thread version of the Trash Panda and the Q Thunder Chicken which is the longer version of the Trash Panda and love them both. I have a lot of rounds through both and no problems. Q has great customer service if you ever happen to have a problem. Also, they do not have all the restrictions like barrel length that some others have.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious other than not liking Kevin, why many seem anti q. Most of the new cans on the market that everyone refers to as being better are pretty much knock offs of what q started doing a few years ago. I don’t give a crap about the politics or bias, just curious about actual use. As far as I can tell the q engineers have more experience with suppressors than pretty much anyone else in the industry.

Most of the new cans on the market that everyone refers to as being better are pretty much knock offs of what q started doing a few years ago.
For companies like TBAC, Abel, OCL, and others who is copying Q and which part of Q's design are they copying? TBAC certainly aren't since Mr. Unstable himself spent a lot of time calling their CB poorly designed.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
For companies like TBAC, Abel, OCL, and others who is copying Q and which part of Q's design are they copying? TBAC certainly aren't since Mr. Unstable himself spent a lot of time calling their CB poorly designed.
Tbac seems to do their own thing, I’m not familiar with Abel or ocl. Mainly talking about stuff like the new silencer co, the newer dead air stuff, even gunwerks suppressor.

I’m curious other than not liking Kevin, why many seem anti q. Most of the new cans on the market that everyone refers to as being better are pretty much knock offs of what q started doing a few years ago. I don’t give a crap about the politics or bias, just curious about actual use. As far as I can tell the q engineers have more experience with suppressors than pretty much anyone else in the industry.
Im guessing that most people that dont like Q products have never even used one. I have 3 and they all work great. People my not like Kevin, but he certainly stands behind his products. If you listen to his podcasts he makes it very clear if you ever have a problem contact them and they will help you out.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
I would say that might have been true a few years ago, but the latest top-performing manufacturers' suppressors share very little technology, if any with Q. As I mentioned further up, the current line of 30cal cans from Q are using dated tech. Lots of 60 degree baffles with vent holes to offset backpressure from said baffles. If you look at companies like OCL, Diligent Defense, Liberty Precision Machine, Resilient, etc they are very transparent via social media about their intellectual property, and it's completely different than anything Q has ever put out.

But I'm not hating on Q in the least, I think their guns are rad, and would love a Honey Badger. I also don't mind Kevin's antics, as it's really just their marketing schtick.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I’d follow up. Ended up getting a Q Jumbo shrimp. 2 qd muzzle devices, a 5” can, only 9.2 ounces all in for $750 including the stamp. I love it. Plenty quiet. Great value. I’ve used it on a 223, 6.5 creed, and a 6-7prc. I plan on getting 3 more next time they are on sale. If you have a gun under 7mm I don’t know why you’d get anything else. Got a scythe ti in jail for my bigger stuff. Looking at dimensions it doesn’t sound much bigger but in person it is considerably bigger than the jumbo shrimp. Will be interesting to see how it compares.

I grabbed a trash panda about a year ago during one of the free tax stamp promos and have been more than happy with it. I Have probably put 2k or so through it since last fall between my 6.5 creed bolt rifle and 5.56 and .300blk ARs. I still use my Sordins on the range but have taken plenty of shots hunting hogs and deer without ear pro. I shoot regularly alongside guys running omegas and a bunch of different nomads and it doesn’t sound any better or worse to me.

Poi shift is extremely minimal, if it’s discernible at all and it is SUPER repeatable. I swap it between three rifles all the time.

As mentioned elsewhere it sounds ridiculously good with .300 subs. All in all I have zero regrets, and would buy another but will probably add either a scythe or one of the CAT cans to the collection later this year just to have something as light as possible and direct thread.

Bluefish

WKR
Figured I’d follow up. Ended up getting a Q Jumbo shrimp. 2 qd muzzle devices, a 5” can, only 9.2 ounces all in for $750 including the stamp. I love it. Plenty quiet. Great value. I’ve used it on a 223, 6.5 creed, and a 6-7prc. I plan on getting 3 more next time they are on sale. If you have a gun under 7mm I don’t know why you’d get anything else. Got a scythe ti in jail for my bigger stuff. Looking at dimensions it doesn’t sound much bigger but in person it is considerably bigger than the jumbo shrimp. Will be interesting to see how it compares.
I think there is a lot of truth to volume = quieter. I recently got to try out a few of my new cans and bigger is quieter. I was a bit disappointed in how loud 17 hmr was with a nyx mod 2, but then it’s a really small can designed for rimfire 22. I think my AB 10 stack was quieter on a 358 jdj.