Q&A Podcast with Robby Denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Approximately what kind of Hunter density causes you to skip an area?

Can’t be guys everywhere all the time after opening day. Prolly no big bucks around if there is that much pressure and even if there are, you can’t hunt ‘em on purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Most big buck hunters tend to scout the area prior to the season, have an idea of where the deer are and where they are not. Other guys travel across the country and have never been there before. Head up to a glassing spot and hope for the best.

What advice do you offer the guy who travels across the country to maximize his time looking for big bucks?

Don’t give up too soon, talk to the locals, and don’t travel across the country if you can be more efficient closer to home.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I am a huge Robby Denning fan so I can't wait for this episode!!!
1) What is the best binocular/spotting scope setup for a mountain mule deer hunter? Are 95mm spotters too big?
2) What are your thoughts on just bringing swaro 15xs for both hand-holding and tripod glassing on solo backcountry hunts?
3) Last October my "secret" spot got absolutely pounded on opening weekend by other hunters like I have never witnessed before. Everyone packed out after the third or fourth day of season but it seemed like all the bucks either got killed or left the area. How would you have made your decision on whether to stay or go somewhere else?
4) How do you filter water on late season backcountry hunts in extreme cold and then prevent the water from freezing in camp and in your backpack?
5) During the 2018 CO 3rd season I found a really good spot that had several good bucks and a lot of rutting activity. In the 2019 CO 3rd season there was even less hunting pressure but almost no deer in that same exact area and in nine days I only saw a few does and one tiny forkin horn. Have you encountered situations like this before? What are potential causes?

1) 8x binos and a spotter in the 25-50x range. 95s too big for me for hunting in most hunting cases, but great for early season scouting.
2) Id never handhold a 15x unless it was an emergency
3)there are no secret spots. Can you really “know” the bucks left? Not sure if I haven’t hunted the area myself but it sounds bad.
4) I don’t filter water late season, iodine tabs.
5) I think we got to that one on the podcast.
Thanks

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I second how to locate in areas with low density. Thinking eastern Wyoming areas, thick pine covered north slopes, mountain mahogany covered flats and south slopes. More traditional wintering ground type area. Big bucks like the thicker timber if food there in these mid elevation ranges during the early season? It’s easier to find them low in draws closer to the rut around the does.

What to do to improve the population? Other than obvious conservation related donations, helping the local conservation officer etc. Lion control (noted highest rate problem for the mule deer does in our area in a survey)? Coyote control, especially prior to fawning (may have adverse affect on the population)? Improving habitat and assisting with planting trees? Adding water catchments in dry areas (may promote spread of disease)?

Calling mule deer...don’t think he uses it much or wrote much on it in his book. Do mule deer bucks grunt much?? When a white tail is on a hot doe following her he will be grunting every 10 seconds or so (seen many times). Havent been close enough to them in the rut to hear em.

I’ve rattled a couple 2 year olds in. Probably depends on timing, buck density, situation, etc. but I currently lean towards rattling for mule deer. I’ve had amazing success grunting in white tails though.

Few questions there, maybe something worth taking about.

In tough area like that, you gotta give yourself a leg up somehow: snow, rut, prescout, local knowledge of exact slots big deer killed

Join the Mule Deer Foundation

I don’t call mule deer or rattle for big bucks. Making noise on purpose is hard for me. I’ve only heard a few bucks grunt over the years. I still try rattling when I’m hunting with my son because he doesn’t care what size buck, but I still can’t say that I’ve had that much luck with it. I’m sure I just haven’t stuck with it long enough or done it at wrong times. The Fred swears by it and I don’t doubt him.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible to hunt areas seeing non-hunting recreational pressure (hikers, backpackers)? What to look for when e-scouting for early season archery? What would stand out as solid habitat?

Lots of Colorado guys are hunting near greenie back packers (right @Tony Trietch ?)Just got to find the buck holes.

E-scouting, I’m not very good at it, if you’re talking about GE. However, Jordan and I cover the stats that I pay attention to in the podcast. I guess that counts as e-scouting because I find a lot of it on the Internet ha ha.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Priorities on a short hunt. Many of us only have 2-4 days in the field per tag. How would you prioritize that given preexisting knowledge of the area. Drive to points and glass? Get remote and hope for the best? Get into thick country and combine still hunting and glassing?

Not even sure what my question is, but I know what my problem is. Too little time.

I’m afraid that if I could only hunt 2 to 4 days I wouldn’t even go. However, I know what you mean. You gotta go to exact spots a big buck has been killed, or you’ve seen them in the past. To me, that’s the only way to be efficient. Having said that, I hunt that way every year and it still takes a lot more than 2 to 4 days most of the time to kill a big deer. So I guess I’m not even really sure what my answer is. So we’re even. Hahahah.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When you spot a buck, how do you decide whether to try to make an approach before he moves off or hang tight and watch where he beds? Maybe sometimes it's obvious (distance too far, no secluded approach, etc), but somehow last year I consistently zigged when I should have zagged and I need to get better about that.

If he’s in a slow mood I get in there and try to kill him. If he’s in a fast mood, I just hang back and wait for a better opportunity. But believe me, you’ll still zig when you should’ve zagged too many times. You just Gotta keep trying.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Desert hunting, ie Nevada, hunt high during archery, or find a consistent water source no matter the elevation and catch them on that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t really know, because I haven’t hunted that country and I haven’t killed a big desert buck anywhere. With the way I understand it, if the deer Are tied to water I’m going to hunt/scout the water.

Nutsknr

FNG
Never heard it came through? Did it? Luckily no scouting packages for us there this year if true. It doesn’t matter to me. If the people there don’t want it, that’s fine with me. We’ll stay away.

My understanding is that it did. I read that “Monster Muleys” is now selling “glassing locations” and “trail and campground” info, not locations of any animals.

The way it was written according to him, was it banned guides from selling info as well.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Ya can't please all of the people, all of the time. Thanx for the tedious spilling of your guts on hunting big mulies. Your an inspiration.

cmahoney

WKR
Just listened to the podcast, great info Robby. Any plans for your book to be audio?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding is that it did. I read that “Monster Muleys” is now selling “glassing locations” and “trail and campground” info, not locations of any animals.

The way it was written according to him, was it banned guides from selling info as well.

Good to know. Thanks

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just listened to the podcast, great info Robby. Any plans for your book to be audio?

Hi, no plans to take it to audio., It’s a picture heavy book so the audio experience is going to leave a lot of that out. Plus at this point in my life I just don’t have time to jump through all the hoops that it takes to get it to audio. But I’m not saying it never will be. I hope to have another book out by then.

IAMike304

FNG
I avoid it unless I just know there’s a great buck not being hunted and it’s only open for archery. November is very tough for a big Muley buck bowhunter: moving deer, tons of eyes, noisy frozen ground and too cold to sit long. Having said that, some guys get it done but very few bucks over 170 on purpose by same guy.

Well thats depressing. lol. Going on my first mule deer hunt this Nov in SD.

@robby denning thanks for all the replies to everyone. It’s pretty awesome to come to this place and get a crazy amount of info from legends like you and all the other extremely successful people that frequent rokslide. Second book??? That’s awesome to hear.