Q&A Podcast with Robby Denning

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
Dioni wearing a Legend wristband! Dioni has been pretty legendary himself for awhile. Awesome wristband!
I made about 100 of them a couple years ago. I sent them to @Ryan Avery to sell on here. Not sure if any are left but they're definitely a collector item at this point. I really want to get Robby to sign mine next time I see him. I messed up and only had him sign my face.

Fatcamp

WKR
Priorities on a short hunt. Many of us only have 2-4 days in the field per tag. How would you prioritize that given preexisting knowledge of the area. Drive to points and glass? Get remote and hope for the best? Get into thick country and combine still hunting and glassing?

Not even sure what my question is, but I know what my problem is. Too little time.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I made about 100 of them a couple years ago. I sent them to @Ryan Avery to sell on here. Not sure if any are left but they're definitely a collector item at this point. I really want to get Robby to sign mine next time I see him. I messed up and only had him sign my face.
I've got mine around here somewhere. Just don't feel worthy enough to wear it lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Troutnut

FNG
When you spot a buck, how do you decide whether to try to make an approach before he moves off or hang tight and watch where he beds? Maybe sometimes it's obvious (distance too far, no secluded approach, etc), but somehow last year I consistently zigged when I should have zagged and I need to get better about that.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning In a new to you unit with multiple terrain types that all hold deer how do you decide which to focus on. For example a high desert area with wide open sage country that transitions into rolling hills then high country.
Also what do you think was the defining moment that made you a #legend.
#wwrd?View attachment 190582

The areas that I can get away from a road. I hate that wristband

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
With limited scouting time.
Say a couple half days, 1 or 2 full days and one overnight trip what would you concentrate your efforts on.
Glassing as much country as possible?
Glassing a few of the best looking areas?
Setting trail cameras?
Covering country looking for big tracks?
This is for a heavily hunted general season unit in Utah with a declining herd.
Would your strategy change depending on which season you are hunting?
Thanks!

I’d first try to get out of a heavily hunted unit if at all possible. Tcams only if there’s scarce water or some very defined trails. Glassing the stuff that is good deer country and harder to access. Sacrifice any other hunting pursuits that are limiting me to scouting so few
Of days, if possible.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When robby finds a bucks in thick cover that he cant spot and stalk , how does he determine whether to first still hunt the area or set an ambush?

Ambush if I know where in cover (trails, hillsides, feed) where he might show up in range. Still-Hunt if I can’t narrow it down.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
His thoughts on Wyoming new law banning scouting services

Never heard it came through? Did it? Luckily no scouting packages for us there this year if true. It doesn’t matter to me. If the people there don’t want it, that’s fine with me. We’ll stay away.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What are some tips on hunting early rut (Early November), when the bigger bucks haven’t quite moved in on the does yet, but the Younger bucks have? Example: 3rd season Colorado where bucks are migrating from higher elevations still. Especially with warmer weather like 2019 3rd season.

Answered that one the podcast.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
In terms of harvesting large bucks, how do you know when you’ve reached the ceiling of a given area it’s time to focus on a new unit or state?

I give it a couple of seasons and/or multiple scouting trips. If I don’t see old bucks by then, probably time to move on

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
At what point do you cut your losses and move on to another area? Two days, four days a week?

If it’s before mid-October, I’m usually hunting a prescouted buck or bucky area that’s has produced before, so I don’t tend to leave.

After that, waiting on storms or the rut and I just look for deer and tracks. As long as there’s sign, I keep hunting.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Desert hunting, ie Nevada, hunt high during archery, or find a consistent water source no matter the elevation and catch them on that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Strategies on bow hunting deer in November?

I avoid it unless I just know there’s a great buck not being hunted and it’s only open for archery. November is very tough for a big Muley buck bowhunter: moving deer, tons of eyes, noisy frozen ground and too cold to sit long. Having said that, some guys get it done but very few bucks over 170 on purpose by same guy.