PVA Taperless Tikka Pre-fit weights

gtriple

WKR
For anybody that has a 0.75" or 0.68" taperless PVA Tikka prefit, would you mind sharing the caliber, weight, length, and fluting of your barrel?

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got a 22” 750 coming in cut for 6.5cm. Will post when it arrives.

Curious what the 680 taperless come out to. I’m thinking a 18” 680 for 223 would be very light.

Tikka lite factory get a little thinner at the muzzle but they also taper slower.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Apples to apples if I did the math right the 680 will be .352oz lighter than 750 of the inches of the barrel that are straight (someone will need to measure where that starts but its probably 4-5" range). Thus for a 18" barrel lets use 13" of straight length, the 680 would be ~4.57oz lighter than the 750. Should be in the right ballpark at least for anyone contemplating.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Apples to apples if I did the math right the 680 will be .352oz lighter than 750 of the inches of the barrel that are straight (someone will need to measure where that starts but its probably 4-5" range). Thus for a 18" barrel lets use 13" of straight length, the 680 would be ~4.57oz lighter than the 750. Should be in the right ballpark at least for anyone contemplating.
That's correct (depending on the steel type). 0.75" to 0.68" would be a savings of 0.35 to 0.36 oz per inch of straight barrel.

BBob

WKR
PVA doesn't show the taperless dimensions on the barrel contours page. If someone can post a couple of dimensions any number of barrel weight calculators would work.

If someone could post these two up it could then be calculated pretty easily for any number of lengths. If you are measuring your threaded barrel include the tenon length (threaded portion in the action) as part of the shank length.

Shank length?
Length of taper?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's correct (depending on the steel type). 0.75" to 0.68" would be a savings of 0.35 to 0.36 oz per inch of straight barrel.
I used 416 stainless.
PVA doesn't show the taperless dimensions on the barrel contours page. If someone can post a couple of dimensions any number of barrel weight calculators would work.

If someone could post these two up it could then be calculated pretty easily for any number of lengths. If you are measuring your threaded barrel include the tenon length (threaded portion in the action) as part of the shank length.

Shank length?
Length of taper?
If you just use a tikka sporter for the first 4-5" and then just assume a straight diameter after that you'll be right in the ballpark I expect and good enough unless you're trying to get it down to the a tenth of an ounce.

For anybody that has a 0.75" or 0.68" taperless PVA Tikka prefit, would you mind sharing the caliber, weight, length, and fluting of your barrel?

Not a taperless, but I have a light palma contour from PVA that would be a little heavier than a 0.75 taperless.

Mine is a tikka shouldered pre-fit in 6.5 PRC at 20". No fluting but muzzle threaded at 5/8-24. Comes out at exactly 3# on my scale.

Not a taperless, but I have a light palma contour from PVA that would be a little heavier than a 0.75 taperless.

Mine is a tikka shouldered pre-fit in 6.5 PRC at 20". No fluting but muzzle threaded at 5/8-24. Comes out at exactly 3# on my scale.
I have a PVA Light Palma as well and it is significantly heavier than the taperless .750, in the range of 8 oz.

My 20” LP 6 CM Fluted for AnTiX weighs 52 oz. This was the reason I first suggested to Josh, over on Snipershide back in April, to try the taperless contours similar to what PBB offers.

Here is my recent PVA from the 6mm Group Buy. 6 CM 18” .750 for AnTiX and 7 flutes. It came in at 39 oz.

I would say it’s about the perfect contour and weight for my needs.

IMG_3893.jpeg

Last edited:
@wind gypsy 18” 6 CM .750 barrel, 5/8 threaded that is not fluted came in at 38.5 oz. for a Tikka prefit.

I asked about the discrepancy in weights, as I thought mine would have been several ounces lighter than his.

Ben E. responded this:

“Larger tenon and larger shank.
1.062x16 with a 1.2” shank (AnTiX)

vs. 1x16 with a 1.16” shank (Tikka)”

Last edited:
I have a PVA Light Palma as well and it is significantly heavier than the taperless .750, in the range of 8 oz.

My 20” LP 6 CM Fluted for AnTiX weighs 52 oz. This was the reason I first suggested to Josh, over on Snipershide back in April, to try the taperless contours similar to what PBB offers.

Here is my recent PVA from the 6mm Group Buy. 6 CM 18” .750 for AnTiX and 7 flutes. It came in at 39 oz.

I would say it’s about the perfect contour and weight for my needs.

View attachment 737233
Very helpful info, thank you!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Edit: I saw the reference below for PBB contours being suggested to PVA to duplicate. I assume PVA copied PBB as to contour. PBB shows the taperless contours so I'll use that.
No but if the 18" 6CM is 38.5oz and its the 750 contour we can quickly make some assumptions. An inch of 0.75" diameter 6mm barrel should be ~1.77oz. 13" of that is 23oz, I'm sure its at contour by 5" so we'll say the first 5" worth of prefit tikka 6CM barrel is 15.5oz. Adjust accordingly for caliber and cartridge if you want to hone in more exactly but that'd be the ballpark. IE a 24" barrel would probably be ~42.8oz.
@wind gypsy 18” 6 CM barrel that is not fluted came in at 38.5 oz. for a Tikka prefit.

In one of the other threads another wkr posted he had a PVA 6cm 26 in .750 taper less no threading or fluting come in 3lbs 5oz.

.750 taper less 24 in would be a little over 3lbs would be my guess.

I ordered a 24 inch .680 taper less 6cm with 9/16 threading (Tikka prefit) and it was estimated by the PVA guy to be around 2lbs 15 oz. They said fluting should save 3 oz so I'm hoping to come in around 2 lbs 12 oz. I asked about a similar OEM sporter contour and they can do that, for 24 inch 6cm Tikka he estimated about 2.5 lbs. I went with the .680.

Should be 6-8weeks but I will post weight when it comes in.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
In one of the other threads another wkr posted he had a PVA 6cm 26 in .750 taper less no threading or fluting come in 3lbs 5oz.

.750 taper less 24 in would be a little over 3lbs would be my guess.

I ordered a 24 inch .680 taper less 6cm with 9/16 threading (Tikka prefit) and it was estimated by the PVA guy to be around 2lbs 15 oz. They said fluting should save 3 oz so I'm hoping to come in around 2 lbs 12 oz. I asked about a similar OEM sporter contour and they can do that, for 24 inch 6cm Tikka he estimated about 2.5 lbs. I went with the .680.

Should be 6-8weeks but I will post weight when it comes in.
I didn't think they'd let you flute the 0.68" taperless? That's good to know

MT_Wyatt

WKR
What kind of weight does it seem the flutes are saving in these? Currently debating if that’s worth it on a steel barrel…..

What kind of weight does it seem the flutes are saving in these? Currently debating if that’s worth it on a steel barrel…..
My 24 inch hybrid lite contour (PBB contour very similar to .75 taperless) with spiral flutes is the same weight as my 20 inch tikka t3 factory barrel without flutes.