Pull behind camper?

Anybody got a good recommendation on a dual axle, bunkhouse camper? Would be for my wife and I and 2 young kids. Would hope to take it hunting as well. Would be our first camper.
We have a jayco 199mbs. It is a single axle. But compared it to pretty much every other brand out there and it was "better". Plus jayco has the best warranty out there

We have a jayco 199mbs. It is a single axle. But compared it to pretty much every other brand out there and it was "better". Plus jayco has the best warranty out there
Thanks for the info. Noticed it has a 75” bed which is about 5” shorter than standard queen. Do you ever find yourself hanging off the edge? Something I’ve been curious about with the shorter bed campers. I’m only 6’1” so not sure how much an issue it would actually be.

Thanks for the info. Noticed it has a 75” bed which is about 5” shorter than standard queen. Do you ever find yourself hanging off the edge? Something I’ve been curious about with the shorter bed campers. I’m only 6’1” so not sure how much an issue it would actually be.
I don't. But it has room for a full queen. It would be a little harder to flip up the bed but alot of people have changed to a regular queen. I think the 75" queen is pretty standard in campers now.

The bunks are some of the bigger ones out there. They are big enough for a grown man to sleep comfortably which isn't the case with alot of them out there.

tony

WKR
Any owners of these?
Got a line on one, been used a couple times, guy needs to sell it.

When you really put the money on the table most often it doesn't save any money. You figure the increased fuel use, insurance, upkeep and for some storage, and then the cost of the RV (25k) . You can get a pretty nice AirBnB and be dang comfortable with less stress.
If you want to stop you won't be needing to worry about traffic or getting in and out of parking areas.
Those RV payments and possibly the new tow rig still need paid in the off season.
The prices of RV spots in a campground have gotten ridiculous in many areas. Often I seen prices at an AirBnB for near the same.

I've seriously considered buy an RV a few times as I grew up traveling to places and camping with them. Anymore I just can't talk myself into it.

Kris
Yup. Sold ours last spring and having a hard time finding a reason for another one.

When you really put the money on the table most often it doesn't save any money. You figure the increased fuel use, insurance, upkeep and for some storage, and then the cost of the RV (25k) . You can get a pretty nice AirBnB and be dang comfortable with less stress.
If you want to stop you won't be needing to worry about traffic or getting in and out of parking areas.
Those RV payments and possibly the new tow rig still need paid in the off season.
The prices of RV spots in a campground have gotten ridiculous in many areas. Often I seen prices at an AirBnB for near the same.

I've seriously considered buy an RV a few times as I grew up traveling to places and camping with them. Anymore I just can't talk myself into it.

Kris
We tried to travel and field trail with 3 dogs last year. Between staying in sketchy hotels because the nice ones wouldn't allow dogs or wanted an extra 75 a dog per Night I got tired of it.
We got a small camper anywhere you can pull a double 4wheeler trailer I have no problem getting in. It's setup with solar so pretty much any national forest I can pull in and be setup for the night in 5 minutes.

There is downsides and upsides to it and I'll still stay in a hotel if it works out for that trip but I'd rather be in the camper hands down

Fatcamp

WKR
Reason #1 why a camper is better than renting: Bedbugs. Holy cats what a nightmare those things have become.

manitou1

WKR
If you’re looking at something with tandem axles, just know that the unloaded weight for even the smallest ones is usually at 4500lbs or more. I’m with wyosteve, much better stability- if you lose a tire on a single axle you’re down.

Most single axle rigs are 3500lbs or less UVW, but won’t top out over 5K.
Not true.
We had a 27 foot Forest River w/ tandem axles that went 3650 empty.

HOT ROD

WKR
We have a Geopro for a couple years now and so far its been good for us we use it regularly and its been pretty much maintenance free except sum screws working out....

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any owners of these?
Got a line on one, been used a couple times, guy needs to sell it.

I don't, but looked into one- they look pretty solid with a lot of nice touches; the other one I've given careful consideration to is this one

https://valiantexp.com/xtd-xl-new-

I watched a couple of videos by the owner and talked to him a couple of times; the guy is very detail oriented and a perfectionist- the kind of guy you'd want building something :). For an example he sources his hubs from an outfit, but wasn't satisfied with the bearings they came with, so he pulls the bearings, throws in the trash and replaces them with Timkens. Just one example

They are expensive (as is the Boreas), but like a lot of things- you get what you pay for

tony

WKR
Those would be perfect for me. But yeah the prices are crazy. One I'm looking at is a '21 and the guy is asking 10k under list.
Only think that has me wondering is dressing or undressing when its rainy, snowing, having muddy shoes, etc.
Its basically a bed in a box.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Valiant offers a trifold bed; you fold it up to form a couch when not in bed mode. They also offer a drop down table so you can sit and eat inside. The floor is some composite material, so easy to clean and boot friendly.

My guess is you can source one of those beds and have a place to sit out of the weather.

If it was wall to wall bed all the time, I wouldn't be interested either. I want a place to eat, drink coffee, read, etc out of the weather.

TX_Diver

WKR
Anyone rent there camper out when they’re not using it?

Toying with getting one and renting it out in the summer. Doesn’t need to fully pay for itself but wondering if I could cover maintenance and insurance at least that way?

Anyone rent there camper out when they’re not using it?

Toying with getting one and renting it out in the summer. Doesn’t need to fully pay for itself but wondering if I could cover maintenance and insurance at least that way?

Yes and never again. People don’t care about your stuff. And do you really want them towing your camper down the road? We didn’t give renters that option but it did take a lot of time out of our day to tow it to where it needed to be. Wasn’t worth the hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Big question is do you plan on staying at campgrounds or boondocking?

We had a 17ft jayco hummingbird that was very nice and had a good sized bathroom with shower. We really enjoyed it. Good size for two people and a couple of dogs.
I pulled it with my f150 5.0 though, which did good but I only got 9-10mpg and was thankful for the 36gal tank on trips.
I wouldn't be comfortable pulling something that size with a tacoma or wrangler.

We sold the jayco hummingbird.
Decided to get back into camping and bought a popup. So much more space and tows way better because it doesn't catch hardly any wind. Towing from KY to MI I averaged 15mpg which is about 1.5mpg that normal.

Long story long-- I'd look into getting a popup if pulling with a tacoma or wrangler. Otherwise like another said you'll be looking for a half ton

Curious what pop up? We sold ours many years ago and miss the hell out of it. Just a small 8’ Jayco Eagle. I have been looking at the ones with higher ground clearance. Won’t get ridiculous, but on a lot of roads I go on 4-5 more inches of clearance will be welcome.

Curious what pop up? We sold ours many years ago and miss the hell out of it. Just a small 8’ Jayco Eagle. I have been looking at the ones with higher ground clearance. Won’t get ridiculous, but on a lot of roads I go on 4-5 more inches of clearance will be welcome.
It's an older starcraft, not sure which model. I think the box is somewhere around 10-11ft and overall about 16ft. We really enjoy it. Can be a pain sometimes during setup and take down when it's hot and just want to be done and in a chair with a cold beverage hahaha
Ground clearance of the axle is probably around 6ish inches. Don't get out of campgrounds or an easy access field so not an issue for me.
I've looked at some of those "sport" models and they seem nice if you're going out to boondock.

Reactions: ODB

TX_Diver

WKR
Yes and never again. People don’t care about your stuff. And do you really want them towing your camper down the road? We didn’t give renters that option but it did take a lot of time out of our day to tow it to where it needed to be. Wasn’t worth the hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my main concern, but I don't use it that much and have been renting them the last few years so it seems like I may as well stop paying other people...

Last year I rented one for 2 weeks and this year I have 4 weeks lined up to hunt... 4 weeks of a rental is about 30% of the cost of the one I'm looking at.