Bumper Pull Trailer

So I’ve been really contemplating buying a bumper pull trailer outright (no financing). My background is I go hunting 30+ days a year in other states and have been doing tents and/or staying at a buddies house depending on where I’m hunting.

I’ll be moving here within the next 7 months therefore, I’ll probably just hunt 2 - 3 weeks at a time or weekends depending on where I’m hunting/living at next season. I’ll also add the government would pay for the transportation of the trailer as a partial DIY move.

I like that a trailer gets me out of the weather, no hotel rooms, no base camp that when spike camping nobody could steal, shower when needed, a place to cook out of the weather, easier to relocate vs. tearing down base camp, relocating, and setting everything back up etc…

However, I’d like to hear from folks that have gone this route and if so, does it pay for itself? Or have you come to find out it’s just a novelty idea and the trailer never gets used?

I’d like to receive some feedback to assist me in making a decision.

Getting a well cared for used camper is key. Hopefully most of the kinks are ironed out. If you're handy most repairs are straightforward.

My advice:

Avoid stick and tin. Aluminum framing with Azdel is worth the longevity.

Most important thing to inspect is the roof. Leaks can equal death, especially with stick and tin.

Heated and enclosed underbelly is key if you plan to camp below freezing.

Beyond that get as small as you can to fit into tighter spots.

Slides lose heat and can break - go without if possible.

Adding solar is easy and awesome for trickle charging the battery.

Upgrade to better tires if going off pavement.

OP
Tips n Tails
Getting a well cared for used camper is key. Hopefully most of the kinks are ironed out. If you're handy most repairs are straightforward.

My advice:

Avoid stick and tin. Aluminum framing with Azdel is worth the longevity.

Most important thing to inspect is the roof. Leaks can equal death, especially with stick and tin.

Heated and enclosed underbelly is key if you plan to camp below freezing.

Beyond that get as small as you can to fit into tighter spots.

Slides lose heat and can break - go without if possible.

Adding solar is easy and awesome for trickle charging the battery.

Upgrade to better tires if going off pavement.
@swavescatter I appreciate the info! This one has a slide out but I didn’t plan on sliding it out regularly as it would mostly just be me or 1 other person.

That 2018 Wolf Pup is what I had in mind for $12,700 (that includes TTL).

Attachments

• 80051B4A-5B44-4A71-B23C-A115F69ADB68.jpeg
    80051B4A-5B44-4A71-B23C-A115F69ADB68.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 83

packer58

WKR
If you us a quad or SXS you might consider a toy hauler. Iv'e converted a couple enclosed trailers for my hunting needs and have worked out well for me .....very comfy depending on how much you modify them. Currently just about done with my 8.5 X 16 v-nose ...

Unckebob

WKR
Why bumper pull? What is your tow vehicle and how much can it actually tow with gear and/or passengers?

I built a 7x14 enclosed trailer this year. It is taller 7ft inside, but a v nose.
It has a 36" cabinet on one side and a 5ft shelf on other, cabinet and counter i v nose.

I had so many awesome dreams that it was gonna make hunting, getting ready to go etc so easy. Well even though it is the same sq ft as my 10x10 kodiak since its narrow it felt cramped.

Still seemed like I had to dig and move things to get to whatever it was I wanted.

And it absolutely hammering my mpg cut me in half and in turn doubled my fuel bill.
It $100 every 150 miles.

Only thing it did was pack up and move fast, and if you needed to pull over mid trip for a night boom.

But I honestly cannot see how I can financially afford to take it on any more trips of distance.

I may still use it close to home but I'm planning on taking a tent for anything more then probably 150 miles.
I just can't justify the little bit of added convenience to and additional $500 in gas for a 900 mile trip.

Thats my 2 cents. It was ok but not worth the fuel cost.

OP
Tips n Tails
If you us a quad or SXS you might consider a toy hauler. Iv'e converted a couple enclosed trailers for my hunting needs and have worked out well for me .....very comfy depending on how much you modify them. Currently just about done with my 8.5 X 16 v-nose ...
@packer58 I don’t own a quad or sxs nor would I buy one. I primarily backpack hunt and spike camp in wilderness areas.

OP
Tips n Tails
Why bumper pull? What is your tow vehicle and how much can it actually tow with gear and/or passengers?
@Unckebob. Why bumper pull? My truck has a 10K towing capacity. The GVWR of that above posted trailer is 5K. With gear, decked system, camper shell, and that trailer attached I’m probably ~ 7000 lbs.

Granted that GVWR includes the trailer loaded down with 1200 lbs which I don’t foresee myself putting that much in it. I realize water weighs a lot and that would be something I’d fill up upon arrival in my destination area.

I’m also trying to stay away from installing air bags.

packer58

WKR
I built a 7x14 enclosed trailer this year. It is taller 7ft inside, but a v nose.
It has a 36" cabinet on one side and a 5ft shelf on other, cabinet and counter i v nose.

I had so many awesome dreams that it was gonna make hunting, getting ready to go etc so easy. Well even though it is the same sq ft as my 10x10 kodiak since its narrow it felt cramped.

Still seemed like I had to dig and move things to get to whatever it was I wanted.

And it absolutely hammering my mpg cut me in half and in turn doubled my fuel bill.
It $100 every 150 miles.

Only thing it did was pack up and move fast, and if you needed to pull over mid trip for a night boom.

But I honestly cannot see how I can financially afford to take it on any more trips of distance.

I may still use it close to home but I'm planning on taking a tent for anything more then probably 150 miles.
I just can't justify the little bit of added convenience to and additional $500 in gas for a 900 mile trip.

Yeah, pulling just about anything will kill your MPG especially a high profile. The other advantage of a dedicated enclosed trailer of any kind is it becomes off season storage for all my hunting gear including SXS if i choose to.

OP
Tips n Tails

It $100 every 150 miles.

@BRTreedogs you made some great points! I too have a KC 10x10 Flexbow and that has been my go to thus far.

Thanks for mentioning the MPG and fuel cost. My truck gets bad enough fuel mileage as it is and I could just imagine the fuel bill at the pump. Especially with todays gas prices.

Unckebob

WKR
@Unckebob. Why bumper pull? My truck has a 10K towing capacity. The GVWR of that above posted trailer is 5K. With gear, decked system, camper shell, and that trailer attached I’m probably ~ 7000 lbs.

Granted that GVWR includes the trailer loaded down with 1200 lbs which I don’t foresee myself putting that much in it. I realize water weighs a lot and that would be something I’d fill up upon arrival in my destination area.

I’m also trying to stay away from installing air bags.

You should be fine on weight, but I would still pull from a frame mounted trailer hitch.

cnelk

WKR
I bought a 17’ toy hauler (pre-Covid time).
Best thing I ever did. I still have my wall tent, but I sure do like the little camper.
I can haul my atv, ebike or even a canoe in the camper.

I would suggest to definitely make sure to put some good trailer tires on because the new trailers come with complete crap tires.

CE39997C-8288-477F-90A8-229CD975819D.jpeg

Roofs are wear items and sprout leaks. Make sure to check the roof if you buy used. My dad bought something with water intrusion. By the time he was down he had rebuilt most of the roof, 1.5 walls and half the floor.

winteri is another issue. Water lines and toilets need some love if they are gonna be in the cold.

OP
Tips n Tails
If you have a pickup truck with an 8 foot bed, get a quality, tall camper shell. You can really trick it out into a nice little place to live and then you don’t have to worry about hauling a trailer everywhere.
@mxgsfmdpx. Yeah you said it “8 foot bed”. I’m feeling that in my Tundra CM.

I had that original intent with my current setup but that only goes so far. Snow and temps in the teens makes cooking outside on the tailgate a PIA (I realize I can get a SJ tarp or build a lean to) and then when it’s dark that’s bedtime. So you’re crawling into the camper shell. I mainly cold camp so there’s no fire and camp 🏕️ whiskey 🥃

It’s worked for weeks and in mild temps but later season it’s not too conducive nor 34 consecutive days.

1670032838328.jpeg