Puffy Jacket Shootout, Alaska Style by Luke Moffat

The Kuiu Kenai and Sitka Kelvin Light are the same weight, with very similar fills, so it seems pretty fair to compare them. The Toray insulation used in that jacket (and the patagonia nano air) are claimed to have a higher warmth to weight ratio than primaloft silver. Sitka advertises that jacket as having breathability from the stretch side panels.

The regular kelvin is 10oz heavier, but would seem to be more comparable to the Kifaru puffy.

If nothing else, it goes to show some of the lighter insulating pieces need to be paired with something else to stretch deep into the winter. I'd rather add a thinner down layer to a sitka kelvin light or the kenai and have some flexibility to use either or both together vs. Just having 1 heavier jacket, but that's completely based on how I do stuff.

Yeah, I guess if you're using weight as the sole criteria and not manufacturer's intended use, that would be the correct comparison.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Belly-deep,

Yeah something 10 oz heavier than what the kelvins lite is and comes without a hood is what let me to trying to keep apples to apples as much as I can. The kelvin standard sounds like a great jacket, but being so heavy without a hoody leads me to think it wouldn't have been as close of a comparison to the other 3 as the kelvin lite. Can't win them all I guess. Just doing as best I could when looking at the specs and picking them out of a line up.

Belly-deep,

Yeah something 10 oz heavier than what the kelvins lite is and comes without a hood is what let me to trying to keep apples to apples as much as I can. The kelvin standard sounds like a great jacket, but being so heavy without a hoody leads me to think it wouldn't have been as close of a comparison to the other 3 as the kelvin lite. Can't win them all I guess. Just doing as best I could when looking at the specs and picking them out of a line up.

The regular Kelvin might have a hood now, I'm not sure.

Despite the nitpicking, I do appreciate the review. I might have to get a new jacket next time there's a good sale.

So if you had to pick one?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Haha I will say I am keeping 2 of the 4 the other two will be up for sale later this winter.

Maybe I will use an alias to sell them ;)

All are good but have no use for that many puffy jackets ;)

Answered like a politician I know ;)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Dang good review Lukey

Weight makes the most sense for this type of review.

But for what its worth. My Kelvin is 26.2 oz but IMO the kifaru at 21 oz, is warmer. But I use the uncompahgre more then any other puffy, its nice, real nice!

Last edited:

Bmcox86

WKR
I have a feeling the first lite and Sitka ones will be for sale after that comment! Someone will get a good deal

kodiakfly

WKR
Luke, how much do you think you compressed the Sitka because it fit you so snugly? I'm a Sitka guy and don't have the others to compare to it so it may well not be as warm. But I wear that thing all the time and consistently think to myself how warm it is for it's loft. But I did upsize to an XXL, so I've got room in it. Just curious. You know gear as well as anyone, but you stating it fit you snug was the first thing that came to mind.

Great review too. I've been thinking about the Kifaru and the whole anorak thing struck me as odd too. Then the sleeve thing...I think I'll hold off for a bit on it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Kodiakfly,

I don't feel it played a huge role being a touch to small. There is simply less material on insulation in the kelvin lite vs the others compared. A larger one would have fit better certainly but between the poorly fitting hood and cinch those were deal breakers for me let alone the sizing and less insulation.

kodiakfly

WKR
That's fair. Just curious. I've got the Kelvin too and it's just not always cold enough down here for it. That's where this one comes into play for me. I'm a Sitka guy, so I haven't tried the others but I do like the extra length and the lighter fabric on it. I think I'd also prefer "puffy" on the sides over the soft shell panels, but the pockets are good and I like the wrist cuffs much better than the ones on the Kelvin.

I've never slept in mine, but I could see where the hood cinch would be an issue due to it's size.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Luke, how much do you think you compressed the Sitka because it fit you so snugly?

I don't think that makes a big difference. My Kenai in an XL fits quite tight, while the Uncompahgre in an XL fits me normal, and I still find the Kenai to be warmer. And I'm not a fanboy of any of the companies, just a fanboy of what works best for me.

TXCO

WKR
Thanks Luke. How did the different jackets perform once wet? Any of them hold warmth better or dry faster?

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Uncompagre as well. It looks like they use a different zipper for the Pine (which I have) color than the camo colors as I have heard many complain about the zippers but mine is fine. After looking at their site it looks like only the black and pine don't have the orange strip down the middle of the zipper.

I just spoke with them, same zippers across the board for this jacket. None are waterproof.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks Luke. How did the different jackets perform once wet? Any of them hold warmth better or dry faster?

I thankfully didn't get these jackets wet enough long enough to really do any testing in that regard. ;) Sorry

kodiakfly

WKR

I got my Sitka hoodie pretty soggy a couple of days ago fixing Christmas lights, hanging a new bird feeder and doing a few yard chores. It was wet. I was really pleased when I realized how wet it was and warm I still was in heavy winds and just above freezing temps with spitting sleet.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Great review Luke. While I've really liked my Kelvin Down Hoody this fall, it wouldn't have been comparable to these. I've actually experienced that I have to size down in my Sitka stuff, though. I ordered a bunch of stuff this fall in my normal size and almost all of it had to go back for a size to 2 sizes smaller.

I just recently tried the Kryptek Lykos I think would be similar to the reviewed jackets, but I'm not convinced it would win out. I've compared it to the Firstlite and think I'll be making the switch. It's nice, but definitely not warm enough for me. If only the Kifaru was a full zip.....

aion2come

WKR
Read this review and am quite interested. The truth is, I haven't found the "perfect" jacket yet. So ... maybe you could help me out. Here would be my wishlist.

Softshell (tough and quiet ... like it for bowhunting ... both elk and whitetail)
DWR
windproof
body mapped insulation
good pockets
pit zips

Right now I have the Kryptek Cadog jacket, which I love for everything except it isn't windproof. Can get kind of cold in the treestand in November when the wind kicks up. Would like to find something similar but with a windproof layer. Any suggestions?

aion2come

WKR
@COlineman78 ... I thought the same ... but it is listed as only wind-resistant - not windproof. In fact, one of the reviews I read elsewhere mentioned that a stiff wind would go through it. I've never had my hands on one though, so I can't say for sure. Luke, do you have any insight on this?

Other than Gore Windstopper, most soft shells are worthless against wind. The First Lite North Branch being one of them. I think you will be relying on the insulation more than the shell in the Kenai. Interested to hear what Luke thinks.