Puffy Jacket Shootout, Alaska Style by Luke Moffat

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Luke Moffat tests gear in the most extreme conditions of Alaska. So when he offered up to test four puffys over a six month period, I said "sign me up!"

Here is the head-to-head review on the Kifaru Lost Park, First Lite Uncompahgre, KUIU Kenai, and Sitka Gear Kelvin Lite

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/clothing/381-puffy-jacket-shootout-alaska-style

Last edited:

JP100

WKR
thank you! finally the review I wanted to see!! Luke did the Kifaru jacket seem'shiny' at all in the sun? the fabric kind of looks like it might reflect some light?

Stwrt9

WKR
Great read I've considered 3 of the 4 you reviewed and this information will be very helpful for me going forward.

Bmcox86

WKR
nice review, i have the same thoughts about that damn orange piece on my first lite, but I love my kenai, I find myself wearing it everyday with nothing but a tshirt under it.

I love my Uncompagre as well. It looks like they use a different zipper for the Pine (which I have) color than the camo colors as I have heard many complain about the zippers but mine is fine. After looking at their site it looks like only the black and pine don't have the orange strip down the middle of the zipper.

DWinVA

WKR
Thanks for taking the time to do this excellent review. I purchased a used Uncomagre (Fusion) from the classifieds here and liked it so well I got a black one on a Black Friday deal for work and around town.

God Bless.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I really like the Kenai........more than I had anticipated. I do like the fact that it is QUIET. And for me it has been warmer than the Uncompahgre was. But wish I had gotten a 2XL. I too wish the Kifaru came as a jacket.

Nice review, Luke.

Thanks Luke for the review. It's nice to be able to read a comparative review like this, especially since most folks can't get there hands on all the items without actually purchasing them. The one issue I did have with your article though, is that you have a picture of my favorite deer hunting spot in there. :)

atx1

FNG
Thanks for your review, Luke.

As 5MilesBack said I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like my Kenai. I wear it all the time around town. My first response to putting it on was, "Man, that's the most comfortable collar I've ever felt on a jacket." I also sized up from a L to a XL. I love that an insulating layer is quiet enough to bow hunt from a tree stand. Another plus - when I wear it to sleep in it doesn't make the swishing noise and doesn't bunch up under me. Warm + Quiet + Pit Zips = a winner for me. I team the Kenai with a FL Llano base layer and Kuiu Peloton 240 Hoody.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
Really good review man! I have the unpronounceable and concur with the zipper issue. Other than that it's a kick ass jacket!

I think if you would have reviewed the Kelvin instead of the Kelvin Lite, your opinion would be different. Seems kind of unfair to pick the lighter insulated version of the jacket and then critique it for not being warm enough. I've been using the "regular" Kelvin for about 5 years now and find it to be plenty warm.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
thank you! finally the review I wanted to see!! Luke did the Kifaru jacket seem'shiny' at all in the sun? the fabric kind of looks like it might reflect some light?

Not especially shiny IMO. But its a dang puffy coat certainly not as "light absorbing???" as fleece or wool. Hope that makes sense.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I really like the Kenai........more than I had anticipated. I do like the fact that it is QUIET. And for me it has been warmer than the Uncompahgre was. But wish I had gotten a 2XL. I too wish the Kifaru came as a jacket.

Nice review, Luke.

Yup I like my Kenai as well. Always good idea to order a size up when getting your stuff from Kuiu or Sitka it seems.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks Luke for the review. It's nice to be able to read a comparative review like this, especially since most folks can't get there hands on all the items without actually purchasing them. The one issue I did have with your article though, is that you have a picture of my favorite deer hunting spot in there. :)

I tried to crop decently. But its no secret. We were like the 10th party to get dropped there this year. ;)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks for your review, Luke.

As 5MilesBack said I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like my Kenai. I wear it all the time around town. My first response to putting it on was, "Man, that's the most comfortable collar I've ever felt on a jacket." I also sized up from a L to a XL. I love that an insulating layer is quiet enough to bow hunt from a tree stand. Another plus - when I wear it to sleep in it doesn't make the swishing noise and doesn't bunch up under me. Warm + Quiet + Pit Zips = a winner for me. I team the Kenai with a FL Llano base layer and Kuiu Peloton 240 Hoody.

Yup the Kenai is a great jacket and it will certainly be staying in my stable of jackets.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I think if you would have reviewed the Kelvin instead of the Kelvin Lite, your opinion would be different. Seems kind of unfair to pick the lighter insulated version of the jacket and then critique it for not being warm enough. I've been using the "regular" Kelvin for about 5 years now and find it to be plenty warm.

Maybe true. I was trying to keep things being equal. It was the lightest of the bunch but the fit wasn't there and the hood really was the worst of the bunch to be honest. And their "hood cinch locker" was GIANT and comfortable and I see the hood and the sizing being the same on the standard Kelvin as well from what I tried on in stores. So while its warmer its heavier and still has sizing issues and a hood that needs work in a couple ways. Again just my opinion for what it is. Take it for what you paid for it. Glad you like your standard Kelvin, I am sure its a great jacket. Just not what I chose to review this go round.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The Kuiu Kenai and Sitka Kelvin Light are the same weight, with very similar fills, so it seems pretty fair to compare them. The Toray insulation used in that jacket (and the patagonia nano air) are claimed to have a higher warmth to weight ratio than primaloft silver. Sitka advertises that jacket as having breathability from the stretch side panels.

The regular kelvin is 10oz heavier, but would seem to be more comparable to the Kifaru puffy.

If nothing else, it goes to show some of the lighter insulating pieces need to be paired with something else to stretch deep into the winter. I'd rather add a thinner down layer to a sitka kelvin light or the kenai and have some flexibility to use either or both together vs. Just having 1 heavier jacket, but that's completely based on how I do stuff.

Maybe true. I was trying to keep things being equal. It was the lightest of the bunch but the fit wasn't there and the hood really was the worst of the bunch to be honest. And their "hood cinch locker" was GIANT and comfortable and I see the hood and the sizing being the same on the standard Kelvin as well from what I tried on in stores. So while its warmer its heavier and still has sizing issues and a hood that needs work in a couple ways. Again just my opinion for what it is. Take it for what you paid for it. Glad you like your standard Kelvin, I am sure its a great jacket. Just not what I chose to review this go round.

Mine doesn't have a hood, so I don't have that complaint about them. I have no doubt it is an issue, as Sitka seems to be making worse clothing now than they were a few years ago. I don't know why that is, but their stuff is less and less attractive to me each time I see it (not sure I'll ever buy another piece of Sitka).

Nevertheless, I guess my point is that Sitka appears to be making multiple jackets for different uses and the other brands make a one-size-fits-all type of jacket. I've looked at the Lites and they have archery season written all over them. As I said, I own the regular Kelvin and have seen all of the others in person with the exception of the Kifaru. IMO, the Sitka horse to run in this race is the regular Kelvin, as it is most similar to the others.