Public Land Privatization, What We Can Do

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Why sell when prices are low? Because the people benefitting want to buy when prices are low. Then they have a tremendous upside when prices rise, which they inevitably will. The politicians looking to get rid of our lands aren't doing it to benefit the states, they are doing it to line their own pockets and those of their buddies.
Precisely!

TJ

WKR
All hands on deck, right now! Call and email your representatives and senators and tell them to keep their hands off our public lands! Join BHA, The Wilderness Society, Trout Unlimited, all the other conservation groups that really care about this issue. Imagine someday when you look at your kids or grandkids and have to tell them you didn't stand up for their birthright -- do something right now!

This^^^^^^^^

We have to make our voices heard. Congress has been on at least a 6 years embargo. Haven't done sh!t for a long time.

Now they pave the way to give to the states OUR lands.
You know the States can't afford to manage these lands, they'll just sell it.

You got to let know you won't stand for this BS.

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
I'd really encourage everyone to call, not email, your Representative's office and speak to someone directly. They've got caller ID and can tell where you're calling from, so it's better to call your own than call someone else's (say, Rob Bishop of Utah).

Emails and online petitions are easily filtered out and dumped in the trash. Call your Rep, speak (very politely) to their office staff, and let them know that the public land issue is extremely important to you as their constituent.

Ask for clarification on the Rep's position, explain that you'll be following their stance on the issue closely, and thank them for their time. Being angry or disrespectful is counterproductive.

As far as the House Rules vote, it's disappointing that Zinke voted for it, but the part of it dealing with public land valuation was only a small piece, so hopefully it's not a five-alarm fire yet.

I'm not trying to get caught up on 1 man but Zinke is one to watch IMO based on that he is now appointed at the top , is from MT which could have alot of land in jeopardy, and has said 1 thing and done the exact opposite recently. I just didnt see this coming from the guy (not that I know him personally).I am not a MT resident but have followed MT politics due to it being 1 of the states I have much interest in and he appeared to have a solid record of acting in our ( public land users) favor. I phoned his DC office and left a message with the intern or whoever it was . My local rep in the peoples republic here is Mcclintock and he is for transfer . He is a lost cause. Anyway. As was already said "that ship sailed" but I feel Zinke has ALOT of veteran and public land user support that if made aware of his recent vote would retract future backing.

R_burg

WKR
I'm not trying to get caught up on 1 man but Zinke is one to watch IMO based on that he is now appointed at the top , is from MT which could have alot of land in jeopardy, and has said 1 thing and done the exact opposite recently. I just didnt see this coming from the guy (not that I know him personally).I am not a MT resident but have followed MT politics due to it being 1 of the states I have much interest in and he appeared to have a solid record of acting in our ( public land users) favor. I phoned his DC office and left a message with the intern or whoever it was . My local rep in the peoples republic here is Mcclintock and he is for transfer . He is a lost cause. Anyway. As was already said "that ship sailed" but I feel Zinke has ALOT of veteran and public land user support that if made aware of his recent vote would retract future backing.

The more I read about Zinke, the less I like. While he calls himself a "Roosevelt Conservationist" he very much seems to be in bed with Oil, Gas and Mining interests.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't worry boys, Trump Jr is a hunter and he has daddy's ear.
Really your still pouting? It remains to be seen if the positive will out wieght the negative. I'd rather have this fight than more of the business as usual from the left

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Really your still pouting? It remains to be seen if the positive will out wieght the negative. I'd rather have this fight than more of the business as usual from the left

Not pouting at all, R's won, so be it. What I find amusing/sad is knowing full well that transfer of public lands was part of the R platform, some public land hunters on this site and others still voted that way, thinking Trump Jr would prevent that from happening. Unsurprisingly, the House majority approved rules to get that ball rolling (in a rules change that makes no fiscal sense from the party of fiscal responsibility). I truly hope it doesn't happen but I'm not optimistic.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey I agree if you couldn't see this coming you were pretty dense. Being from Utah it scares me because I see the corruption daily. We are all but a pay to hunt state now and the goal is to manage state lands with a similar board. I sent my email out to Chavez but he clearly already has his eyes on a big payday. Side note was it not helpful to this issue to shove bears ear up our ass in last hours of the final days.
It was the push I finally needed to get involved with BHA hopefully more will engage in the up coming fight

Hey I agree if you couldn't see this coming you were pretty dense. Being from Utah it scares me because I see the corruption daily. We are all but a pay to hunt state now and the goal is to manage state lands with a similar board. I sent my email out to Chavez but he clearly already has his eyes on a big payday. Side note was it not helpful to this issue to shove bears ear up our ass in last hours of the final days.
It was the push I finally needed to get involved with BHA hopefully more will engage in the up coming fight

I hear you, I feel pretty dang lucky to have at least a couple of congressmen who have spoken out against PLT. Thanks for joining BHA-we'll need all the help we can get.

JWP58

WKR
Not pouting at all, R's won, so be it. What I find amusing/sad is knowing full well that transfer of public lands was part of the R platform, some public land hunters on this site and others still voted that way, thinking Trump Jr would prevent that from happening. Unsurprisingly, the House majority approved rules to get that ball rolling (in a rules change that makes no fiscal sense from the party of fiscal responsibility). I truly hope it doesn't happen but I'm not optimistic.

Some people aren't single issue voters.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
Call and speak your mind, but those self serving pricks don't care one bit about what you think. They will do what the money tells them to do. Once they are voted into office, the lifetime entitlements start and they could care less about the American people. Arguing politics is worthless, they are all equally worthless. Left or Right, democrat or republican; it's all a way to divide us and keep us from standing up. What would happen if 25 million armed Americans stomped into Washington and started kicking ass and taking names?

I agree with calling and emailing and making your voice heard and will do so, but just had to get my rant on here.

topher89

WKR
Just joined BHA!

I am thinking about joining Trout Unlimited as well... what other organizations do you all think will be key in this fight? I was thinking about TU, Pheasants Forever and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation but I do not know a ton about them.

twall13

WKR
Just joined BHA!

I am thinking about joining Trout Unlimited as well... what other organizations do you all think will be key in this fight? I was thinking about TU, Pheasants Forever and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation but I do not know a ton about them.
BHA, TRCP, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation are the three I know of doing the most to save out public lands. I'm sure there are others out there as well but those the are at the front lines in my eye.

topher89

WKR
BHA, TRCP, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation are the three I know of doing the most to save out public lands. I'm sure there are others out there as well but those the are at the front lines in my eye.

Thanks. I am leaning towards Trout Unlimited because I think having a variety of voices (fishermen) is important to this fight. But joining TU and a donation to TRCP seems like the best plan. I was about to pull the trigger on an Alaska Guide bino harness but I am going to put that on hold to join these organizations.

twall13

WKR
Thanks. I am leaning towards Trout Unlimited because I think having a variety of voices (fishermen) is important to this fight. But joining TU and a donation to TRCP seems like the best plan. I was about to pull the trigger on an Alaska Guide bino harness but I am going to put that on hold to join these organizations.
I don't know as much about Trout Unlimited so I can't speak to what they are doing for public lands but your logic is sound. That's something I really like about TRCP, they recognize there are more users of our public lands than just hunters and are doing what they can to form partnerships with other user groups.