Public Land Privatization, What We Can Do

topher89

WKR
I can't disagree with any of that, and I work for a big oil company....or three. I can tell you one thing though, and it's not speculation, the Democratic party is very much into "big oil", especially our would-be lady president elect. They love putting a nice "green" spin on their domestic oil policies and would-be new taxes but they are in the pockets of bigger players internationally, and those players are some of the most civil rights violating, void of ethics and morals, in existence. Don't mean to derail the thread and turn this into a political argument. I think this is sad though.

Agreed, both parties are in corporate pockets.

JWP58

WKR
In my opinion it goes to show that the gun issue isnt about gun owners. Its about gun lobbyist, who are paid by the gun industry. Unfortunately it seems like our industry doesnt have the same amount of pull.

All they have to do is put their money where their mouth is right? All the liberal left bitch and cry about how much money the "gun lobby" throws at politicians to protect a constitutional right...maybe the outdoor industry should take note.

brewer427

WKR
Dude.

This is not being pushed by "anti-hunters".

The vote was down party lines. GOP voted for the bill, Dems voted against.

I guarantee you a whole-hell of a lot more GOP voters hunt... AND are pro gun, which is ironic.

This is about giving the states the right to sell land to large private owners and big corporations. This has nothing to do with people that are for or against hunting.
You missed the whole point to what I was saying. Anti-hunting groups are very dedicated and determined in what they believe in and they go to great lengths to get laws changed in favor of what they want. I used them as a example, in that hunters need to be more like that. I've had several family members and friends pissing and moaning about changes that were going to affect outdoorsman and when I asked them if they had sent emails, or made phone calls, or attended public meetings to voice there opposition to said changes, they stated yep done all I can do, but then down the road I find out they had done nothing to voice there opinion. When I asked my cousins why they hadn't done anything before I-177 was voted on here in Montana there excuse was "I didn't have time", or "I forgot". Outdoorsman are a small group compared to others, and it feels like were getting smaller each year, so unless something drastic happens and all party's come together in opposition of these land sales and transfers, the only hope I see us having is if Company's like Sitka, Hoyt, Savage, Federal ammo, etc., as well as fishing and other outdoor based companies, get together and make it loudly public and aware that they are against such things as land transfers, not only because there outdoorsmen, but because things like this will have a impact on there overall business.

brewer427

WKR
This is not being pushed by "anti-hunters". This is about giving the states the right to sell land to large private owners and big corporations. This has nothing to do with people that are for or against hunting.
I would also argue that this is being pushed by "anti-hunters", not in the since of how we usually think of antis, in that all antis are "animal loving tree huggers", but in the since that there are people out there who think all the land should be there's and there should be no such thing as public lands and waters. These type of people, as well as the type who look at public lands and waters as nothing more then a way to generate money, inherently are "anti-hunters" because there is no way that they don't know sportsman will suffer if these lands are transferred and sold.

Whip

WKR
This is the biggest issue we are facing today. To me, it is far larger than the gun issue. It feels like pissing in a lake, but I have written personal letters to my congressman and senator. I've rejoined BHA. We need to make our voices heard!
If we lose or federal lands as a result of these actions GOP candidates will never get another vote from me, and I told my representatives exactly that in my letter.

What a disappointment ! Just double checked and Zinke's name is on there for voting yes on this B.S. Why would he do this especially with his recent ( and past ) statements against land transfer ? Politics as usual I guess ? Just a major disappointment ..

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scary times ahead for sure. Someone will forever be trying to carve the best chuck out for a buddy or a kickback/payback

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Emailed my Senators. Unfortunately they are all the ones pushing for this so I know they are falling on deaf ears but I tried.

slvrslngr

WKR
As stated, congress could give a f^ck what the rank and file think. They, on both sides of the aisle, will do what benefits them personally. The ONLY way to stop this madness is to vote the SOB's out and put Reps in that actually represent us. Unfortunately, that ship sailed. Now we're stuck with the biggest bunch of useless, self serving and corrupt pieces of sh$t that have ever walked the halls of congress. I'll sign petitions and send letters, but have little confidence that it will do any good.

As we all know, it's about the money. The reason we have the gun rights we do is because of the huge amount of money the NRA pumps into the issue. We'll loose our public lands because of the huge amount of money the energy and development companies are pumping into the issue. We need to get some serious money on our side to win this battle and that will likely mean hooking our wagons to some groups that we may not see eye to eye with on some issues. Right now though, BHA is leading the fight for us.

Gehri1tm

Lil-Rokslider
All hands on deck, right now! Call and email your representatives and senators and tell them to keep their hands off our public lands! Join BHA, The Wilderness Society, Trout Unlimited, all the other conservation groups that really care about this issue. Imagine someday when you look at your kids or grandkids and have to tell them you didn't stand up for their birthright -- do something right now!

Schaaf

WKR
Yep, call your dad and have him contact the Senator, have your wife email the legislator. Write letters to the editor. Losing public lands is a cold dead hands issue for me. If they do sell my birthright then **** em, write me a trespassing ticket, I don't care.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Sick to my stomach.

Emailed all of our dip shit NJ republican reps who voted for this resolution and let them know they suck at life. Our senators will more then likely be against this but emailed them to.

Like others have said, maze me feel a little better but it feels it will more the likely fall on death ears, I'm scared for how our country will look in 30 years or less.

Yooper

WKR
E-mails sent to my local reps and both Senators. I'm saddened by what is happening to this country and what will be left for my children to enjoy as adults.

ChrisS

WKR
We'll loose our public lands because of the huge amount of money the energy and development companies are pumping into the issue.
This is the thing that I find most crazy. The US will not be able to compete with Canadian timber companies and oil/natural gas prices are currently in the toilet as a result of decreasing demand. Why sell off any natural resource when the price is at the bottom?

Johnboy

WKR
I got a (automated) reply from both of my senators. It appears that the original email sent to them through the OP's link contains html tags around all of the fields (first name, last name, etc). It looks terrible. Anyone else see this same thing? Hopefully it's just me. I don't expect an email that looks like spam to be taken very seriously.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
This is the thing that I find most crazy. The US will not be able to compete with Canadian timber companies and oil/natural gas prices are currently in the toilet as a result of decreasing demand. Why sell off any natural resource when the price is at the bottom?
Those resource prices are slowly coming up but they tend to flounder around because of OPEC dealings going back and fourth. They are still pretty low, but nowhere near the bottom. The middle of 2016 saw the bottom....one of the deepest bottoms ever. There was never actually a decrease in demand, but an over supply from certain OPEC members. Agreements to cut back supply are only in effect to stabilize prices to bring that market back, and because so many companies with supposedly deep pockets are suffering. Being in the oil business and learning about this political push for the privatization of public land has me really curious about motives. Political movements concerning resource revenues are never ethical. You say "why sell off natural resources when the price is at the bottom?"....no one here is going to know for sure, but the price of those natural resources is changing and there are bigger things happening and oil companies are making plans right now that do not reflect a continued "down-turn". They are being a bit cautious, but 2017 will reveal. I will say that sadly....money talks, and petitions and the concern of the general public, walks.

twall13

WKR
Why sell when prices are low? Because the people benefitting want to buy when prices are low. Then they have a tremendous upside when prices rise, which they inevitably will. The politicians looking to get rid of our lands aren't doing it to benefit the states, they are doing it to line their own pockets and those of their buddies.