Binoculars with Locking eyespan Adjustment

RedRidge

WKR
Rok, I’m looking for binoculars that lock in the eyespan adjustment I’m sure there is a term for this, but do not see it when searching for a new set. My friends Luepold gold rings lock which I love. I have had a pair of cheap vortex diamondbacks 10x42s forever that I’m going to upgrade and one of the top features I’m looking for is that locking ability so I don’t have to constantly adjust to my eye span. If there is a way to do that on all binoculars and Ive been blind to it or any specific models you recommend that would great. Do not need anything too fancy. Mostly whitetail hunt southeast timber. Out west/adventure hunt once every three years. Thanks

I'm curious if the feature you want is necessary? Every decent pair of binos I've held are fairly stiff. They don't move around once you set them, and if they do move it's because you wanted them to move.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Do you mean eyecups that "snap" into certain positions as you twist them out? Some stay in place better than others. I had set of Razor HDs that were very finicky and wouldn't stay put. Currently running Zeiss SFLs that are significantly better.

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
I'm curious if the feature you want is necessary? Every decent pair of binos I've held are fairly stiff. They don't move around once you set them, and if they do move it's because you wanted them to move.
Perhaps so. One could say this forum isn’t necessary, but here we are 😂. Maybe I can see if I can tighten mine up some.
Do you mean eyecups that "snap" into certain positions as you twist them out? Some stay in place better than others. I had set of Razor HDs that were very finicky and wouldn't stay put. Currently running Zeiss SFLs that are significantly better.
No sir, just the eye span. Like for instance if my wife uses them and she turns and passes them to me, I would then have to adjust them to fit my eye width. Just seems mine are looser than some. Something I always thought about looking into is all. Basically I would love for every time you pull them out of a harness and put them to your eye they’re always fixed/locked to your eye width.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like we're talking about the same thing (eye relief) but maybe not. Lots of binos with eyecups that snap into position and stay set just fine. The SFL's are just one example.

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
Not eye relief. Maybe this picture will help explain what I mean. A binocular that will lock this adjustment down.
IMG_2618.jpeg

Bugger

FNG
Not eye relief. Maybe this picture will help explain what I mean. A binocular that will lock this adjustment down.
View attachment 754997
That’s called IPD. Inter-pupillary distance. And I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen one that actually locks. They’re supposed to have enough tension to hold their position unless you purposely need to adjust. If the hinge is so loose you constantly need to adjust, it needs to get sent in.

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
That’s called IPD. Inter-pupillary distance. And I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen one that actually locks. They’re supposed to have enough tension to hold their position unless you purposely need to adjust. If the hinge is so loose you constantly need to adjust, it needs to get sent in.
You da man! Thanks

JGRaider

WKR
The "old" Leupold Gold Ring HD binos have this IPD lock and it works well. The GR's are excellent binos made in Japan. Problem is they're very hard to find.

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
The "old" Leupold Gold Ring HD binos have this IPD lock and it works well. The GR's are excellent binos made in Japan. Problem is they're very hard to find.
Yes that’s the model my friend has. Every time I use them I get envious of that feature.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Your binos might have a flathead slot on the front of the hinge that you can tighten yourself. I had a set of zenrays that were super loose, and I was able to tighten them up myself. You may have to remove the cap for the tripod adapter threads to find it.

EdP

WKR
I have the same problem with my Leupold binos. They don't lock and are so loose I always have to use both hands when looking thru them. Like others have said, they should be stiff enough to hold whatever position you adjust them to.