PSA - Hunting off atv/utvs…

tdhanses

WKR
Utv are a LOT louder than trucks for one especially at idle speeds. Often, roads get significantly worse the farther into elk country you get so you’ll have more utv in the back country where trucks would be forced to stop and people would need to walk. At least that’s my experience.
It’s shocked me where I’ve seen people take their vehicles and beat them up.

I’ll have to see if i can find the pic of the abandoned camper i came across on a jeep trail one summer. Plenty of stupid out there.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
It’s shocked me where I’ve seen people take their vehicles and beat them up.
My buddies make fun of my asphalt queen… I’m not taking my truck through a sage flat or up a nasty washed out road.

If I had a ford then I wouldn’t care because it would already be a piece of shit! 😉

tdhanses

WKR
My buddies make fun of my asphalt queen… I’m not taking my truck through a sage flat or up a nasty washed out road.

If I had a ford then I wouldn’t care because it would already be a piece of shit! 😉
For how expensive vehicles are it just shocks me. Just last week i saw guys in their new broncos trying rock crawling on tight trails.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
This should probably be its own topic but single transport air vehicles are on the horizon. Maybe 5 years, maybe 15, but they’re coming. Wtf do game departments do with those?! Imagine being able to fly your mini-copter basically anywhere you have a 30 yard landing spot! Guys are spending 50k on side by sides, it won’t be long until someone builds a mass produced copter that people can afford.

tdhanses

WKR
So it sounds like there is could be good money in making electric utv's???? Hmmm I might need to start a business.
Look up the brawley, $35-$50k! 300-400hp 140-200 mile range. It’s coming fast and makes more sense to me then a ev pickup, well except for price 😂

tdhanses

WKR
This should probably be its own topic but single transport air vehicles are on the horizon. Maybe 5 years, maybe 15, but they’re coming. Wtf do game departments do with those?! Imagine being able to fly your mini-copter basically anywhere you have a 30 yard landing spot! Guys are spending 50k on side by sides, it won’t be long until someone builds a mass produced copter that people can afford.
A drone we could ride in would be amazing fun but if it ever happened there would have to be wait a day to hunt rules.

WTFJohn

WKR

My plan is to wait for the single transport SpaceX rocket and use it to get to the best areas first. Nothing like hunting a fresh burn!

KBC

WKR
Here in BC it’s already illegal to use a helicopter for hunting in any way. If they made fixed wing versions it would open up a big debate.

svivian

WKR
I would imagine it would follow the same laws that are already in place for helicopters, meaning you would have to wait 24 hours from landing before you could hunt in most areas of the country.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I would imagine it would follow the same laws that are already in place for helicopters, meaning you would have to wait 24 hours from landing before you could hunt in most areas of the country.
I think the potential issues will go much further. At some point if 20% of hunters have them…throw out your %… and they’re buzzing all over the place looking for animals, scouting, hunting, etc it’ll create a MAJOR issue. 24 hours is no big deal. Hell, I road horses for 2 days straight 26 miles into the frank church. Imagine being able to get into there in a couple of hours, drop up on top of some basin, etc.

Technology is coming so fast and for the most part we embrace it all with open arms. Where’s the guy that was using thermal cameras to scout for elk at night? At some point, we have to say enough is enough.

svivian

WKR
I think the potential issues will go much further. At some point if 20% of hunters have them…throw out your %… and they’re buzzing all over the place looking for animals, scouting, hunting, etc it’ll create a MAJOR issue. 24 hours is no big deal. Hell, I road horses for 2 days straight 26 miles into the frank church. Imagine being able to get into there in a couple of hours.
agree i think it would be specific areas like the Frank or the Bob that would affected. Also what about any wilderness area.

Drones are already an issue for guys trying to scout and hunt with them. Im always curious when watching a hunting film on youtube that uses a drone for scenery shots when they actually took the footage.

11boo

WKR

I‘m too old for that. Before UTV we used tracked stuff.

F50EEE37-F9F8-40B4-8DFE-26FE23D4B36C.jpeg

tdhanses

WKR
Abandoned camper, road wasn’t that bad but not something i’d take a camper on or even my daily driver.

4A8CC7BD-B84C-479E-A4A4-1E4F24643B65.jpeg

hunt1up

WKR
I wouldn't mind the UTVs all that much if they weren't so damn loud. Two years back in AZ, the recreational UTV crowd was a sight to behold. All hours of the day they'd be ripping down the FS roads, blasting music, shooting guns, and romping on the the throttle. We'd go to bed around 10:00 and all throughout the night we'd be awakened by them. It was a truly unpleasant experience.

Then, this year in WY, in a unit with zero recreational UTV traffic, it was the relentless train of hunters on extremely loud machines, rippin all through the land. I love when I go to bed in a pristine quiet mountain setting only to be woken up but a continuous train of "WHAAMMMMMMPPPPP, WHHAAAMMMPPPPPPP!!" You'd hear them coming from a mile away and you'd hear them a mile once they passed.

Someone needs to make a side-by-side that's actually quiet like a truck. For what they cost it should be an easy ask.

I'm just looking for a drone based meat packing service. I send coordinates, drop a cord I can tie the meat bags to. Take to a cooler someplace for later pickup.

Y'all going to look at Amazon all different when they have a shipping service.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Because they looked like pumpkins and stopped and glassed looking for the Hellen Keller of bull elk. Plus not a ton of recreational riders are 11 miles back at day break on their atvs.
Does "11 miles back" count when an atv can get there? it sounds more like zero miles back.

If you're glassing elk at 500+ yards, it's not often that an atv putting up and pulling into a trail turn-out will spook them.