Preferred Dog Food

I'm looking for a new dog food.
My female GSP is picky but she loves Purina Pro Plan Turkey/Duck/Quail.
But...this bag for 33 lbs is now $85 which is ridiculous IMO. $2.60/lb w/o tax.

She also like Diamond Puppy food and I have thought of just putting her back on that.

My other GSP eats anything and he does well on Diamond Adult (Beef) which is only $1.08/lb and has joint health.

I was looking at Victor but numerous reviews report GI issues, skin allergy, apparently lots of gas.

I like PPP but at this point it's cost prohibitive and the price has jumped $15-20 for the bag over the last 1.5 years. PPP performance (Salmon/Rice) is less at $70 but she won't eat that one. PPP Performance Chicken/Rice is 50 lbs for $88 on Chewy. Better price per lb. She will eat this one but not very well when compared to Turkey/Duck/Quail.

She is a smaller GSP never weighing more that 42 lbs. I like to keep her eating or she drops weight and it's hard to get it back on. It's frustrating b/c Turkey/Duck/Quail is the only food she really likes. I tried tough love with other dog foods but she goes to the bowl, smells it, and walks away and won't eat for days. "Princess" LOL .

So let's hear it. What is you go to dog food for your high energy breeds and/or picky eaters?

sndmn11

WKR
I was looking at Victor but numerous reviews report GI issues, skin allergy, apparently lots of gas.

We use Victor. We started off with the active dog (red bag) but she had a little bit of a rash on her belly. Switched to the ocean fish and it cleared up. I have emailed twice with questions and gotten a great response as well as an offer for free bags to try and refunds when I was curious about switching to the ocean fish.

I have never heard her fart.

I would probably do Canidae or Orijin if I hadn't found Victor. A small local non-pet shop carried Victor and I like buying local. They couldn't sell enough volume so I now get it from Amazon which I believe comes direct from Victor.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
We use Orijen for both of our goldens. I’ve tried other brands with our older one but after a bit he would also not eat much. Switched back and went to town again. Unfortunately price wise it’s similar to where your at now.

sacklunch

WKR
We switched our dogs to Inukshuk...quality seems fantastic. Ones on the 25/25 Marine and the other one I think the 26/16 most the year and then 30/25 for hunting season.

Pretty impressively clean ingredient list and very dense pellets, we end up feeding nearly a cup less per day and still matching calories over Victor

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
My dog has a sensitive stomach odd for a lab as they eat every thing. I went from country vet that the breeder had him on to eukanuba didnt do good then ppp salmon and was ok. Buddy fed kinetic and tried that and it has been the best for me. Nice coat and no itching or running stools.

Dos XX

WKR
You might try PPP chicken and add a small amount of a topper to it to encourage the dog to eat.

I have fed the Victor Hi Pro blue bag and had no problems with it.

Guys that are feeding Origen, take a look at the ingredient list and see how many different legumes are listed. I know when I fed the fish protein, the amount of legumes listed was a lot. Ask your vet about grain free dog food with legumes and heart problems.

Inukshuk Marine. High calories, my dogs love it, seems to be higher quality than PPP.

If I was you though I would get the PPP 50 lb bag and add some pumpkin topper to it to help solve the pickiness.

cmahoney

WKR
We switched our dogs to Inukshuk...quality seems fantastic. Ones on the 25/25 Marine and the other one I think the 26/16 most the year and then 30/25 for hunting season.

Pretty impressively clean ingredient list and very dense pellets, we end up feeding nearly a cup less per day and still matching calories over Victor

Do you know what it comes out to per pound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sacklunch

WKR
Do you know what it comes out to per pound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure, but I am saving $ and getting a better product (imo). We feed 75lb dogs about 2.5 cups/day and that's equal in calories to >3.5cups of other brands. That maintains weight with about 5 kills per day of activity all year. I'd have to weigh out a cup of food to do the math for you. We're out on a shed triptight now, but pm me if you are that interested and I can do the math when hone next week

Lab gets Costco salmon and sweet potato but he's not picky.

The Gordon gets Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete High Protein. He's very picky so we spike it with a Duck Duck Goose patty from Stella & Chewy's

DaleW

WKR
We feed our current retriever PPP. The lab before him ate "Exclusive performance" his whole life. It's hard to find, but that seemed to be an amazing food for him.

Rob5589

WKR
Pro Plan for our lab/gsd. I'd guess he goes through the 47lb bag every 6 weeks or so. Even at 90 bucks a bag it's still cheap to feed him. Try to feed one teenager for 6 weeks on 90 bucks and you'll see:LOL:

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
She got picky about the diamond natural athlete towards the bottom quarter
of the bags after 3 years on it.
Switched to the Diamond Lamb and rice and she’s on it as soon as it hits the bowl for the whole bag. A little cheaper too. 40#-$40 at Blains.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
PPP creates toxic sludge in my dog, so we fed Simply Nourish chicken with peas and potatoes. She does great on it, with almost completely dry poops that barely stink.

She's 45lbs most of the time, eats 1.5 cups/day non hunting days, and 2-2.5 cups per day for a week leading up to big trips or after big hunt days.

It's about $45 for a 24lbs bag. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either.

jmez

WKR
Recently switched my GSP to Inukshuk. 1.5 cups per day this time of year, two cups during hunting season.

He was on PPP, had to feed 4 cups to maintain his weight.

Inuk has been better.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
The breeder of my griff fed him Nutrisource. I kept feeding him that. $60ish per bag. Supposedly they use the same everything in all their flavors except protein so you can switch from beef to chicken to trout to salmon, etc pretty easily. So if your dog doesn't like one flavor try the other. They also make a liquid you could try putting on the food for a topper.

They also have a performance and a super performance.

My brother feeds his griff Red something and I think is happy.

Sherman

WKR
Zach’s Dog Food. It’s hard to find, but worth it. Our lab was eating Diamond, switched her to Zach’s, she threw up for about five days, but adjusted well. She loves it, doesn’t she’d as much, eats less, and is losing weight (she was fat). $35 for a 50lb bag. There is a local farmer/cattle rancher that sells it out of his barn. You can show up at any time of the day/night, sign your name, leave $35, and take a bag of the pallet. Honor system. Check out the website. You can become a distributor too.

2ski

WKR
Zach’s Dog Food. It’s hard to find, but worth it. Our lab was eating Diamond, switched her to Zach’s, she threw up for about five days, but adjusted well. She loves it, doesn’t she’d as much, eats less, and is losing weight (she was fat). $35 for a 50lb bag. There is a local farmer/cattle rancher that sells it out of his barn. You can show up at any time of the day/night, sign your name, leave $35, and take a bag of the pallet. Honor system. Check out the website. You can become a distributor too.

Did you just switch cold turkey? No weaning off the old and gradually adding the new food over a week,