Preferred Dog Food

Sherman

WKR
Did you just switch cold turkey? No weaning off the old and gradually adding the new food over a week,
Cold Turkey. It wasn’t intended. She had run out of food and Murdoch’s was closed, and we had been meaning to switch to Zach’s.

Mosby

WKR
I feed the PPP Salmon & Rice 30/20 (527 cal per cup) but add a food topper that I make myself. Add a few tbl of the topper and float in water. Makes a great gravy that the dogs really enjoy. Stew meat, chicken gizzards, chicken liver, beef liver, sometimes sardines, elk....whatever I can find in the freezer. Cook in crock pot, puree in a blender and freeze in containers. Makes about 4-5 quarts for under $30. Adds a bit of nutrition and flavor to their food but encourages them to eat when tired. Also use to spike their water in the morning of a hunt, when I want to get some extra water in them. I like it a lot more than canned food....and might help with a finicky eater.

As an alternative, there is a dog food company in Arkansas called Extreme Dog Fuel. Popular with duck hunters and a much cheaper alternative than the major brands. A local feed store will order it for me and I can get a bag of 30/20 for under $40 a bag. I emailed the company and got a response from one of the owner's., which impressed me. I have a several bags of dog food to go through but I am strongly considering buying a couple bags and trying it.

https://extremedogfuel.com

I am a veterinarian and deal with dog food every day. Its like politics or religion, everyone has a strong opinion! Royal Canine, Science Diet, or Purina Pro Plan. Period
You get what you pay for with those brands. Personally, I only feed PPP.

OP
Mule3006Elk
I picked up a bag for PPP Performance 30/20 Chicken/Rice. 50 lbs is the same price as 33 lbs PPP Turkey/Duck/Quail.
Mix in some Diamond Adult with joint health to offset the cost a little.

2ski

WKR
I am a veterinarian and deal with dog food every day. Its like politics or religion, everyone has a strong opinion! Royal Canine, Science Diet, or Purina Pro Plan. Period
You get what you pay for with those brands. Personally, I only feed PPP.
So truth are you "sponsored" by dog food companies? I've had people try to tell me that vets are most likely to recommend food of whoever is sending then free food and free samples and such. Mostly at fancy food stores.

jmez

WKR
Royal Canin and Purina sell to veterinarians wholesale, they don't give it to you. Purina you just sign up. Royal Canin you have to watch little modules and take a quiz.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

So truth are you "sponsored" by dog food companies? I've had people try to tell me that vets are most likely to recommend food of whoever is sending then free food and free samples and such. Mostly at fancy food stores.
Another veterinarian here. I also feed PPP exclusively. I don’t get anything from any food supplier since I am not in private practice. Purina has a lot of unbiased scientific studies and research behind their product, more than most people know. Plus, it is least likely to be involved in food recalls. I’ve been feeding it for years, and have had 20+ dogs on it over the years without skin infections, ear infections, GI allergy, etc. It is just a good consistent diet.

OP
Mule3006Elk
Appreciate everyones respond. Hopefully we all don't think just b/c someone recommends a product they are getting kickbacks or free stuff. Not saying it doesn't happen but probably not close to as often as some think. I've been in medicine 20+ years and have NEVER prescribed a medication d/t drug rep influence. There are guidelines for a disease/infection and I let the guidelines dictate what is best for a patient and what I prescribe. Hopefully this thread doesn't get derailed and we focus on what is best for ours dogs and not blind accusations of ones professional credibility and recommendations. In particular, when we have no personal experience with said person. Generalizations of this nature are incredulous IMO.

2ski

WKR
Appreciate everyones respond. Hopefully we all don't think just b/c someone recommends a product they are getting kickbacks or free stuff. Not saying it doesn't happen but probably not close to as often as some think. I've been in medicine 20+ years and have NEVER prescribed a medication d/t drug rep influence. There are guidelines for a disease/infection and I let the guidelines dictate what is best for a patient and what I prescribe. Hopefully this thread doesn't get derailed and we focus on what is best for ours dogs and not blind accusations of ones professional credibility and recommendations. In particular, when we have no personal experience with said person. Generalizations of this nature are incredulous IMO.
I was asking an honest question to look at the 'inside' of a vet clinic. This wasn't a conspiracy theory. It was an honest question.

2ski

WKR
Another veterinarian here. I also feed PPP exclusively. I don’t get anything from any food supplier since I am not in private practice. Purina has a lot of unbiased scientific studies and research behind their product, more than most people know. Plus, it is least likely to be involved in food recalls. I’ve been feeding it for years, and have had 20+ dogs on it over the years without skin infections, ear infections, GI allergy, etc. It is just a good consistent diet.
Thank you for the insight. So how do you feel about some of the other foods that people have talked about? Nutrisource? How do you feel about raw?

Chuckybmd

WKR
Also feed PPP. My yellow lab used to be a very picky eater,finally found she likes the chicken flavor best.

It is costly, but I feel like it’s worth the investment.

OP
Mule3006Elk
I was asking an honest question to look at the 'inside' of a vet clinic. This wasn't a conspiracy theory. It was an honest question.
Fair enough. I probably read too much into the comment. My bad.

Thank you for the insight. So how do you feel about some of the other foods that people have talked about? Nutrisource? How do you feel about raw?
I don’t have a significant opinion, positive or negative, about the other brands.
Look for AAFCO on the label to show it went through testing before settling on a brand. Check out the AAFCO website for more info.

Raw - have to be really careful of your food source and handling at home. Plus, if feeding raw, you have to add the appropriate mixture of vitamins, minerals, etc. since dogs are omnivores, not strict carnivores.

Fair question. Used to be that way. But in the past decade or so the markup of vet-sold pet food has gone down and has become more of a PIA to carry it than it’s worth most days. A lot of vet clinics now only carry prescription diets (liver disease, kidney disease, etc.) because people don’t want to take a RX and get it elsewhere, like through the mail or order through big box pet stores.

sndmn11

WKR
Recently switched my GSP to Inukshuk. 1.5 cups per day this time of year, two cups during hunting season.

He was on PPP, had to feed 4 cups to maintain his weight.

Inuk has been better.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I think this gets overlooked. People look at the $/pound but there isn't a good way I can find that equates that to volume to figure out how many servings their dog will get per lb or bag.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have kept my gsp on Diamond since she was a pup and she likes all the different flavors of the naturals. I mix it up since I don’t like to eat the same food every day and figured she doesn’t either. So I don’t have any input on other brands but I am sure there is better ones out there.

Just trying to give free advice to a fellow Rokslider. I don’t get any food for free. Told you the top 3 brands and what I feed. Truly saw a huge difference when I switched from Diamond. Truth is that I make more money off people feeding crap dog food. Ear infections, skin infection, GI issues, etc…

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
i researched in depth and educated myself on how to judge dog food, IMO, $4$ you can't beat Valu Pak dog feed. I feed the black bag when i'm hunting super hard and blue bag when i'm not, if you want the added benefits of joints for an older dog get the purple bag. Currently prices on them for 50# here is about 35-45$ a bag. I've had a lot of people see my hounds and ask what i'm feeding FWIW.