Plumb Reticle but Always Looks Canted to Left

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you truly want to check, hang a plumb line at 100m and get behind the optic. Scope leveling is a bit controversial. I tend to favor it being perfectly square to the bore on the vert axis. However, a lot of excellent shooters like David Tubb do it totally opposite and their rifle is a bit canted while the scope is level to the horizon. If you know and validate your holds, it all works.
As long as the scope is plumb, it’s all good. I got the idea to get the rifle natural to my body and then level the scope from Tubb. Totally helps me get into NPA faster. Not necessary, but faster.

As long as the scope is plumb, it’s all good. I got the idea to get the rifle natural to my body and then level the scope from Tubb. Totally helps me get into NPA faster. Not necessary, but faster.
Would a buttpad that's adjustable for cant/height obviate the need to do this?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Would a buttpad that's adjustable for cant/height obviate the need to do this?
It can, yes. I did that too. The adjustment system adds weight, so I went straight because I wanted all my rifles to have the same fit. Didn’t want the extra weight or snagginess on my hunting rifles.

I learned long range shooting with an adjustable pad to cant my rifle. Loved it.