Plumb Reticle but Always Looks Canted to Left

My reticle is plumb but it always looks canted to the left. Anyone else deal with this? Annoying as heck.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
Phew, thought I was the only one, guess I'm not crazy after all.

OP
General RE LEE
It’s an illusion

I reconfirmed everything is plumb and set up like I was going to shoot left handed and used my left eye in the scope. The reticle appeared canted to the right!

Plumb just looks canted to the left in my brain.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Could be your vision. I have astigmatism. I was shooting a new bow at the range one day and the top cam looked to be leaning so bad I was afraid of a derail. I went home, got my son to look at it standing behind me and to take a picture. He said, "Dad, it's not leaning". I looked at the pic and he was correct.

So, I set everything with the level and roll with it. Scopes, bow sights, kinda like trusting a compass. If I use the level, I know it's right no matter what my eyes tell me.

packer58

WKR
Same thing happens to me also, not much but just enough to be noticeable. I found it to be my canting of the rifle slightly left. Get yourself a small level of some sorts to check how your shouldering the rifle, might just surprise you.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Same thing happens to me also, not much but just enough to be noticeable. I found it to be my canting of the rifle slightly left. Get yourself a small level of some sorts to check how your shouldering the rifle, might just surprise you.
I haven’t done it with this rifle, yet, but prior rifles I shouldered the rifle with a little natural cant, and then leveled my scope.

So, when I threw up my rifle to its “natural position” the rifle can be canted but the scope level. That doesn’t affect precision at typical long range hunting ranges.

Carpenter here. Stabila makes an excellent little pocket level that is about 3'' long and magnetic. Somewhere around $25-30. Works excellent for scope mounting .

packer58

WKR
I haven’t done it with this rifle, yet, but prior rifles I shouldered the rifle with a little natural cant, and then leveled my scope.

So, when I threw up my rifle to its “natural position” the rifle can be canted but the scope level. That doesn’t affect precision at typical long range hunting ranges.
Agreed .....

OP
General RE LEE
Problem solved

It’s because I’m coming in from the side. When I set up on a table and come straight to the gun, it’s level.

Maybe your rings are the wrong height for your face.
OP, I'd explore this line of thinking. If you're having to crank your head/neck unnaturally to look through the scope that's not very fun. If that happens to be the case try higher rings.

And if someone says it'll exaggerate scope cant, point them here.

packer58

WKR
Problem solved

It’s because I’m coming in from the side. When I set up on a table and come straight to the gun, it’s level.
Good job, now all's you gotta do if figure out how to carry a table around while your hunting to keep things level ........... sorry man, i'm just having a little fun here .....

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
If you truly want to check, hang a plumb line at 100m and get behind the optic. Scope leveling is a bit controversial. I tend to favor it being perfectly square to the bore on the vert axis. However, a lot of excellent shooters like David Tubb do it totally opposite and their rifle is a bit canted while the scope is level to the horizon. If you know and validate your holds, it all works.

I don’t know if this will be helpful to you or not, but it was to me…especially if you run a picc rail.

From LRHF on leveling the scope w/ regard to the action/gun itself (vs just using a plumb).

Leveling Your Scope

Last edited: