Pistol brace news

I wonder if they really understand the nuance of this statement:

“According to the Justice Department, manufacturers, dealers and individual gun owners have 120 days to register tax-free any existing short-barreled rifles covered by the rule. They can also remove the stabilizing brace or surrender covered short-barreled rifles to the ATF, the department said.”

Hang18

FNG
IMO, unwarranted government over reach. Now many of these type firearms are involved with illegal
actions. There is a 2A, in which I cannot find any definition as to what "kind" of firearm is included or excluded from the "right to bear arms". How did "we" ever let this Amendment get diluted; if that is the correct word. I'm not a legal nor Constitutional scholar, but, it should be pretty straight forward. The government is not a friend of the legal law abiding U.S. citizen; on many fronts.

wesfromky

WKR
If you wanted a silencer before 2025, hope you are already in the queue.

I had a braced 9mm in my cart last night, but held off in anticipation of this rule change, though I didn't expect it so quickly. Guess, I will wait until the crush of new forms is tapering off, then do my paper work for a proper sbr.

If you wanted a silencer before 2025, hope you are already in the queue.

I had a braced 9mm in my cart last night, but held off in anticipation of this rule change, though I didn't expect it so quickly. Guess, I will wait until the crush of new forms is tapering off, then do my paper work for a proper sbr.
So quickly?
This has been in the works for a year plus.

OP
Conrad101st
The statement is so broad as to make one wonder that you can register any old AR as a SBR for free. My assumption is that once you apply to form 1 it on E-file within 120 days, you would be golden. I suspect they have not thought through shit and are not prepared to get hammered with 10 million applications to register lots of AR receivers into SBR.

IMO, unwarranted government over reach. Now many of these type firearms are involved with illegal
actions. There is a 2A, in which I cannot find any definition as to what "kind" of firearm is included or excluded from the "right to bear arms". How did "we" ever let this Amendment get diluted; if that is the correct word. I'm not a legal nor Constitutional scholar, but, it should be pretty straight forward. The government is not a friend of the legal law abiding U.S. citizen; on many fronts.
When you say "we" do you mean the "well regulated militia"?

sndmn11

WKR
The statement is so broad as to make one wonder that you can register any old AR as a SBR for free. My assumption is that once you apply to form 1 it on E-file within 120 days, you would be golden. I suspect they have not thought through shit and are not prepared to get hammered with 10 million applications to register lots of AR receivers into SBR.
Is the Form 1 thing painless other than the wait? Or is this creating a trust and all that stuff?

*no, I have never researched this. I will, but just saw this thread.

tdhanses

WKR
Pretty sure this will get shot down, the bump stock rule that included braces ruled unconstitutional. I can see them saying no more AR pistols are allowed but to make an existing item illegal sounds like an over reach.

tdhanses

WKR
If you have a chassis rifle can you just add a brace and hacksaw the barrel off and get it covered as an sbr for free?

OP
Conrad101st
Slap the brace onto the tube and put a short upper on it.

Take 2 photos, one showing complete rig and one closeup of serial number of lower.

Do it to each lower and off we go.

I suspect that there is no rule that says you can’t use modular parts like braces and uppers on many lowers.

They probably have not thought this out. And they probably do not know the can of worms they opened up.