Petition - OTC for Colorado Residents

Good Grief, I am pissing a good pissing match. No wonder I don't visit here often.

The federal land argument, the tourism argument. If I only had nickel for every time I heard those I could buy a hunting ranch. One person says 22 billion in tourism dollars, then just why is the median income in most rural Colorado counties near the poverty level? I'm no economist but I'm calling bullshit on hunting and tourism as a cause of prosperity for rural Colorado.

Resident archery participation is flat to declining, that has changed in the last 5 years. Nonresident archery growth is consistently strong. Some residents are aging out, and some are flat out giving up. I mean unit 77 has 25,000 elk, but the bull to cow ratio is a pitiful 12 bulls to 100 cows while we sell unlimited OTC rifle bull tags? No wonder the calf ratios is in the tank, the bulls must be dieing from exhaustion after the rut. 265 residents in 77 drew a limited archery tag while 800 nonresidents drew. Unit 80/81 went limited for all archers over complaints of crowding while it had 2,000 nonresidents and 1,000 residents. After limitations, only 327 residents archers got tags in an area that the herd is over objective.

Here is the deal, hunting in Colorado will be eliminated at the voting booth. Nonresidents can't vote. Wolves came from a vote of the people. We lost spring bear from a vote, now we have 23,000 bear hunters in the field during September archery season, and folks say "its crowded". Mountain lion and Bobcat hunting will be the next ballot issue for the anti's, then who knows, probably archers. If we don't start recruiting residents that vote, it is over for everyone. Hell, it is probably too late now. It was a good run while it lasted....

I think I was the 3rd or 4th person to sign, who wants to push it over 2,000?

tdhanses

WKR
Good Grief, I am pissing a good pissing match. No wonder I don't visit here often.

The federal land argument, the tourism argument. If I only had nickel for every time I heard those I could buy a hunting ranch. One person says 22 billion in tourism dollars, then just why is the median income in most rural Colorado counties near the poverty level? I'm no economist but I'm calling bullshit on hunting and tourism as a cause of prosperity for rural Colorado.

Resident archery participation is flat to declining, that has changed in the last 5 years. Nonresident archery growth is consistently strong. Some residents are aging out, and some are flat out giving up. I mean unit 77 has 25,000 elk, but the bull to cow ratio is a pitiful 12 bulls to 100 cows while we sell unlimited OTC rifle bull tags? No wonder the calf ratios is in the tank, the bulls must be dieing from exhaustion after the rut. 265 residents in 77 drew a limited archery tag while 800 nonresidents drew. Unit 80/81 went limited for all archers over complaints of crowding while it had 2,000 nonresidents and 1,000 residents. After limitations, only 327 residents archers got tags in an area that the herd is over objective.

Here is the deal, hunting in Colorado will be eliminated at the voting booth. Nonresidents can't vote. Wolves came from a vote of the people. We lost spring bear from a vote, now we have 23,000 bear hunters in the field during September archery season, and folks say "its crowded". Mountain lion and Bobcat hunting will be the next ballot issue for the anti's, then who knows, probably archers. If we don't start recruiting residents that vote, it is over for everyone. Hell, it is probably too late now. It was a good run while it lasted....

I think I was the 3rd or 4th person to sign, who wants to push it over 2,000?
Maybe more residents need to apply for the units in your example, can’t blame the NR if the R don’t want to hunt those units. R get 65% of tags if they want them in the draw.

In those examples 100% of R drew that wanted to hunt them.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Came blame Res that have a pocketful of PPs wasting them on a 0 -1 pp unit.
They are just playing by the rules set forth by the CPW.

tdhanses

WKR
Came blame Res that have a pocketful of PPs wasting them on a 0 -1 pp unit.
They are just playing by the rules set forth by the CPW.
I’ll never understand how and why that happens but year after year I see it.

Maybe more residents need to apply for the units in your example, can’t blame the NR if the R don’t want to hunt those units. R get 65% of tags if they want them in the draw.

In those examples 100% of R drew that wanted to hunt them.
Would you spend a handful of points on a unit that is worth zero? Frugal people or families on a budget generally don't overspend.

Im no recruitment expert, but I do know the harder it gets to get a license, the easier it becomes to not participate or quit.

As stated, they were playing by the rules, then the rules changed and the playing field was titled. The job isn't to place blame, or call out unwise choices, it is to get them back in the game. OTC licensing for residents is the easiest way to keep them in the game.

Im not blaming nonresidents either, I aspire to be one rather then hunt 4 point 2.5 year old Colorado bulls.

We just appointed an animal rights lawyer to make wildlife decisions because of our voters.

If I was selfish, wouldn't a nonresident hunting one week of a 30 day season be a better choice then a resident who hunts 5 days plus every weekend? The goal here is to help our neighbors, by doing so, everyone wins.

tdhanses

WKR
Would you spend a handful of points on a unit that is worth zero? Frugal people or families on a budget generally don't overspend.

Im no recruitment expert, but I do know the harder it gets to get a license, the easier it becomes to not participate or quit.

As stated, they were playing by the rules, then the rules changed and the playing field was titled. The job isn't to place blame, or call out unwise choices, it is to get them back in the game. OTC licensing for residents is the easiest way to keep them in the game.

Im not blaming nonresidents either, I aspire to be one rather then hunt 4 point 2.5 year old Colorado bulls.

We just appointed an animal rights lawyer to make wildlife decisions because of our voters.

If I was selfish, wouldn't a nonresident hunting one week of a 30 day season be a better choice then a resident who hunts 5 days plus every weekend? The goal here is to help our neighbors, by doing so, everyone wins.
I would say stop chasing trophy units and hunt every year if one doesn’t want to do otc, otherwise I wouldn’t complain if one decides to build points and chase the points game yet doesn’t find the best opportunity in otc.

This has nothing to do with being frugal, tags all cost the same, it’s just greed and we all do it, we all have built points and still hunted on otc or leftover tags.

I personally feel the state should treat NR and R the same with points, either hunt or don’t hunt and build points but if you get a tag you use all points or don’t receive a point. If you buy an otc tag, points are taken away. This is probably the best way to reduce pressure.

I bet we’d see a large reduction in NR and R hunting otc if they had to use their points to get the tag.

There is so much opportunity for a R to hunt even if otc goes away, they just lose the build points and hunt game is all or they can risk trying for a leftover tag and possibly not hunting, but I think leftover and otc tags should take away points as well if one has any.

Jmort1754

WKR
We fight over this and the Colorado resident hunters fight NR oppurtunity tooth nail yet you refuse to go the voting booth and fight the real enemies, you refuse to fight the non hunters and leftist in the cities who reintroduced wolves, and are working on reintroducing Grizzly to your areas.

While I agree in the past 5 years pressure has gone up immensely, This has to do with many things and in my opinion one of the main ones the timing of the draw.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Signed.

Colorado is the most elk friendly hunting state. No other state allows you to show up and buy a tag OTC at a gas station, do they?

I would also move to just get rid of OTC entirely for R and NR and revamp the Secondary Draw System to basically turn it into an OTC draw instead of a youth draw. We would also need to address the current point creep. Also, why are NR even allowed to grab our leftover tags the first day? What kind of nonsense is that?

Unfortunately money corrupts CPW so whatever, carry on.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Signed.

Colorado is the most elk friendly hunting state. No other state allows you to show up and buy a tag OTC at a gas station, do they?

I would also move to just get rid of OTC entirely for R and NR and revamp the Secondary Draw System to basically turn it into an OTC draw instead of a youth draw. We would also need to address the current point creep. Also, why are NR even allowed to grab our leftover tags the first day? What kind of nonsense is that?

Unfortunately money corrupts CPW so whatever, carry on.
I somewhat agree, I do feel like OTC should be kept for R so we can feel like we have some kind of advantage for living in this now Commie state

Archer86

WKR
Signed.

Oregon and Washington have otc elk tags available for nr purchase just drive up to the local sporting goods store and buy your tag as well.

I would say washington and oregons elk hunting is better then most will admit until it's over run with nr hunters like Colorado they just don't get the publicity that colorado does since they are still otc in colorado no one wants to drive past there to hunt elk. So once colorado makes there changes I imagine those 2 states will start to see more pressure

GusF16

FNG
Non resident, been hunting CO for 24 years and while my NR tag fees have gone up exponentially the hunt quality has gone way down. DREW a cow tag for the 1st rifle season this year and never saw an elk. Lots of cattle everywhere…no elk. Hmm…. I understand why residents are peeved, but we more than pay our fair share for hunt access. If you go draw only for NRs, could you at least cut our fees so they’re somewhat affordable again? This NR is taking a break from CO.

CO HTNR

FNG
Non resident, been hunting CO for 24 years and while my NR tag fees have gone up exponentially the hunt quality has gone way down. DREW a cow tag for the 1st rifle season this year and never saw an elk. Lots of cattle everywhere…no elk. Hmm…. I understand why residents are peeved, but we more than pay our fair share for hunt access. If you go draw only for NRs, could you at least cut our fees so they’re somewhat affordable again? This NR is taking a break from CO.
Good. More NR should take a break from Colorado.