Pending Toyota Recall

SDHNTR

WKR
Probably 90% of the owners wouldn’t know what they are or ever use them.
I have a hard time buying that. There is never a reason to omit recovery points on a truck. I'd gladly trade my hand pressure sensing door handles, or the automatic emergency brake, or the coffee cup reminder telling me to take a break, or the auto start/restart that starts the truck back up when you unbuckle the seatbelt, or the AI learning GPS that knows where I'm going before I even tell it, or any of the dozens of alarms, chimes and self driving nonsense, for some damn tow hooks and real metal skidplates.

KurtR

WKR
T

This is hilarious. Defending a global manufacturer that built its brand on reliability that can’t clean out an engine properly before assembly. Yes. That is junk. It is also a manufacturer that needs to take a hard look at itself internally when you combine that with the other serious recalls and issues in these recent model vehicles and how much of a departure that is from what it built the brand on.
No I’m not defending the manufacturer I’m just calling you out on sensationalism making it sound like a motor blowing up is going to cause death and destruction and look like scene from bad boys. I would say the same thing with any manufacturer.

Ford has had Ecoboost engines in the F150 and others for almost 15 years with good success. I've had three F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost since 2010, they have tons of power and been reliable le for me. I wouldn't rule them out on principle.
Well aware...the good ole Eco Puke..watched 3 of them brought into the dealership on rollbacks, puking oil and antifreeze all over the deck from where cam phaser/turbos ate themselves while I was getting the winch installed on my 250. More moving parts equals more problems.

bozeman

WKR
The failure rate is less than 1%. Meanwhile, Toyota's quarterly sales figures show they are having a record sales year for the Tundra in 2024 while Ford, GM and Ram are piling up on dealer lots and not selling. Toyota stock price is $193 today and trending up. GM stock price is $44, Ford is $11, and Stelantis, while they struggle to stay in business, is $16.
Dont use data....it makes these 'arm chair mechanics' look bad.....hahaha.....

Marshfly

WKR
No I’m not defending the manufacturer I’m just calling you out on sensationalism making it sound like a motor blowing up is going to cause death and destruction and look like scene from bad boys. I would say the same thing with any manufacturer.
You must have bought that jump to conclusions game from Office Space. Wow. Is it fun? Should I buy it too?

I simply paraphrased the actual text on the recall.

Weldor

WKR
Any Yota techs on here with experience seeing this...I find it hard to believe "engine debris". Seems like a any half ass QC program could catch that. I just haven't seen any details on the debris, makes me suspicious.

Can we all agree that tiny motors with dual turbos are not the answer for full size trucks?
I can say this, Jeep 3.6 in 2013 had casting sand in the blocks. They replaced alot of motors. So much for QC and so much for mpt and ultra sound testing. Stellanis had one in 2011 also manufacuring debris in engine.

Billinsd

WKR
I have a hard time buying that. There is never a reason to omit recovery points on a truck.
I'm a glass is half full guy on my best day and generally more negative. 90% is real high, definitely above 50%. Most that drive trucks don't really drive off road and fewer are prepared. It could be Toyota figured to save a few hundred bucks not designing in tow hooks? Yes, it's mind numbing if the new Tundras don't have front tow hooks. They deleted the tranny cooler on the last model in 2019, probably to save costs. And maybe figured it's not really necessary for most drivers. I will get one installed on my 2021 soon, mostly because I want to tow.

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm a glass is half full guy on my best day and generally more negative. 90% is real high, definitely above 50%. Most that drive trucks don't really drive off road and fewer are prepared. It could be Toyota figured to save a few hundred bucks not designing in tow hooks? Yes, it's mind numbing if the new Tundras don't have front tow hooks. They deleted the tranny cooler on the last model in 2019, probably to save costs. And maybe figured it's not really necessary for most drivers. I will get one installed on my 2021 soon, mostly because I want to tow.
Wise man! Don’t even get me started on the tranny cooler!

KurtR

WKR
Debris in an engine can cause a catastrophic failure. That happens on the road and people can die. They may have initiated this recall early but it was not an option to ignore it.

Cleaning an engine out before assembly seems like a pretty essential part of the process. This is a serious failure of internal processes in my mind. The Highlander airbag not doing the job when the window is open is another one. These are pretty basic things that they are missing.
Its in your own words right there not to hard of a jump when you write about catastrophic failures and people can die.................................So theres that.

You dont understand what happens when a engine fails. Now if they were running nitromethane I would agree. 1722436276995.png

LFC911

WKR
I just drove by a local Toyota dealer yesterday and the lot was full of Tundra's all of them marked down, $12k+, what a switch from 2021, when they were marking them up that amount.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Its in your own words right there not to hard of a jump when you write about catastrophic failures and people can die.................................So theres that.

You dont understand what happens when a engine fails. Now if they were running nitromethane I would agree. View attachment 743628
I believe he was probably referencing the possibility of completely losing power...which on a congested freeway at 85mph could definitely be unsafe if it was abrupt.

But who knows, maybe he meant the entire engine exploding. Doubt it though.

KurtR

WKR
I believe he was probably referencing the possibility of completely losing power...which on a congested freeway at 85mph could definitely be unsafe if it was abrupt.

But who knows, maybe he meant the entire engine exploding. Doubt it though.
It could but its not like you go 85-0 unless you have rods hanging out of the block which maybe thats what is happening to the engines you have time to figure out what to do

So a quick search shows its in the bearings sounds like a progressive problem that if you dont know its happening your not paying attention

In May 2024, Toyota recalled over 100,000 Lexus LX and Toyota Tundra vehicles due to engine issues caused by manufacturing debris. The debris can get stuck in the engine's bearings, which can lead to engine failure over time. This can cause the engine to run roughly, knock, stall, or not start at all.