Peax Equipment?

Yomomma

FNG
What’s the deal with peax equipment? I don’t understand why everyone is pimping them so hard lately. I’ve never used any of their products but I don’t understand how every single product they release can be this massive slam dunk. All these big names in the industry jumping on board. Is their shit really that good or is everyone selling out?

7mm-08

WKR
I'm very interested to hear others' thoughts on Peax as well. Thanks for this thread, which I'll be watching closely.

Colterw

FNG
I have a pair of their gaiters that I recieved from a giveaway. They seem well built. My experience with the rest of their stuff is limited but they don't have any really special products that make them stand out as a company.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t know about any of their other products but the headlamp is way better than my old black diamond one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKplumber

FNG
I have their gators now that i ran through my kuiu's, they seem a lot tougher. I've had the headlamp for almost two years and its legit but no way its 1000 lumens probably like 500-700. just picked up a set of their sissy sticks since my camofire's broke and I haven't used them yet.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Love this thread! I just saw something on go hunt that had their tipis labeled as the most durable or something to that effect. seeing all the big names in hunting swear by their products has made me question how much money they are getting paid. I have the peax headlamp and yes it is bright and nice but I already had the plastic break that keeps the band attached. I look forward to hearing from other people because I can't see how after a couple years they have made better products than seek outside, kifaru, kuiu, etc.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I run their Backcountry Elite trekking poles and they are good but so are a bunch of other manufactures out there. They are of the many new guys that have reinvigorated the "backcountry" push for guys to go deeper in the "backcountry". I don't believe there is any "backcountry" because every human on earth can access these places if they aren't lazy and this has been ongoing since the 1960's. They just seem to take other peoples ideas and tweak them which most hunters do with every piece of gear they buy. They take gear that is of different non-hunting companies and turn them into "hunting specific items" so hunters will think it's strictly for hunting. It's just another gear company in the hunting industry. I stopped supporting them because of two particular guys they have representing them that I feel are complete imbeciles and followers not innovators.

OP
Y

Yomomma

FNG
It's called a marketing budget. They have a good one.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah that’s for sure. You really don’t see many reviews out there on their stuff though from end users. I’d just be surprised if some of the big names that picked up peax would really sell out for an inferior product like a shelter when your life can depend on it. Or maybe their stuff is really that good. Either way they have some deep pockets backing them it seems.

While I haven’t tested or seen any of their products in person, the tipi tent raised a lot of red flags for me.

When I was shopping around for a new tipi tent 3 years ago, I saw a ton of various off-name Chinese brands sold for cheap. They all looked very similar and sold for around $100-$150. When I saw the new tipi offering from peax, I immediately thought they looked suspiciously like many of those Chinese brand offerings.

I’m sure the Peax tipi is a lot better than the cheap China offerings, but that’s likely a case of better QA/QC. Is it worth the cost over other well known quality brands, up to you. I can tell you after going through a few tipis that it’s tough to beat the Slumberjack tipi, and I still own one as a beater tipi with added stove jack. For less than $150 after adding the jack, it’s still going strong. When I decided to drop more coin on a larger and higher quality tipi, I went with a seek outside. Just my thought.

Here’s a pic of the Chinese offerings that look a lot like the Peax version:

1c606e47ffc8f262f9874483ef5abba2.jpg

While I haven’t tested or seen any of their products in person, the tipi tent raised a lot of red flags for me.

When I was shopping around for a new tipi tent 3 years ago, I saw a ton of various off-name Chinese brands sold for cheap. They all looked very similar and sold for around $100-$150. When I saw the new tipi offering from peax, I immediately thought they looked suspiciously like many of those Chinese brand offerings.

I’m sure the Peax tipi is a lot better than the cheap China offerings, but that’s likely a case of better QA/QC. Is it worth the cost over other well known quality brands, up to you. I can tell you after going through a few tipis that it’s tough to beat the Slumberjack tipi, and I still own one as a beater tipi with added stove jack. For less than $150 after adding the jack, it’s still going strong. When I decided to drop more coin on a larger and higher quality tipi, I went with a seek outside. Just my thought.

Here’s a pic of the Chinese offerings that look a lot like the Peax version:

1c606e47ffc8f262f9874483ef5abba2.jpg

They done the same thing with their headlamp. They took the Chinese sofirn headlamp and “made it better”. I’m on year two with the sofirn and have used it a lot. It’s still going strong, no complaints what so ever. Hard to beat for sub $20.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I'd heard of their headlamps before but haven't bought one (always seem to be out of stock when I look for them). First "purchase" made today because they are giving spoons away (just pay shipping). I'm guessing they will be sending me email now but it was worth a spoon I guess.

OP
Y

Yomomma

FNG
If you're hearing the hype from YouTube stars then it's all marketing. If you're hearing the hype by fellow hunters, WKRs, and reputable hunting retailers, then you can start drinking the cool-aid.
GOHUNT just put out a post saying the peax tipi is the toughest in the backcountry. I feel like in the past they have vetted equipment quite well.

TN2shot07

WKR
Never used any of their stuff, but I sure as hell did pick up the free spoon today!