PayPaL - Users beware!!

Vandy321

WKR
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I've posted about this before. Wanted to again warn folks about using anti 2nd Amendment company, Pay Pal. They will freeze your money and will 100% not back your purchase.

This is a recent thread from LRH warning of the same ans detailing how one seller has been put in financial despair due to this company freezing funds.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So don’t put a description related to a firearm in the notes. There is no way PayPal knows what you are buying if you don’t tell them.

And why would you keep a large sum of money in PayPal, I don’t believe it is FDIC protected. Get it and transfer it to your bank, it costs nothing to do that.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I dont think he was using it as a bank. I've had paypal hold $2500 for 14 days before it was available to transfer...a F&F purchase of a firearm (nothing left in notes), they claimed they didnt believe it was friends and family.

What is it with you mods and your love for PayPal? Advocating for folks to use them under the guise that they are protected that way, after they've pull this sh*t repeatedly over the years.

Sure, you can not include a firearm in the description, but when you file a claim for a transaction that went south and they ask you what you purchased, there goes your buyer protection you paid 3% for.

Just a PSA for folks to be careful. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So if PayPal isn’t a good option to purchase firearms, what do you guys recommend in place of PayPal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So if PayPal isn’t a good option to purchase firearms, what do you guys recommend in place of PayPal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EFT (for the high dollar stuff) or USPS certified money order for the $1k or less. Pretty certain it's a federal crime to use a USPS money order in a scam. They are trackable and refundable and watermarked, cost $1 per $1k.

Trial153

WKR
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
To each his own, I am not going to post office every time i buy something online.

boliep

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a retired banker, I have seen paypal freeze accounts numerous times. The reason for the freeze is usually something insignificant. Once that organization freezes your funds it almost takes an act of congress for them to be released.

User beware.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
EFT (for the high dollar stuff) or USPS certified money order for the $1k or less. Pretty certain it's a federal crime to use a USPS money order in a scam. They are trackable and refundable and watermarked, cost $1 per $1k.
The problem i have had with the post office and this is not one time is they have to have that cash on hand to pay off that m.o. and i have been told to come back later in the day and maybe they will have enough money.

That takes even more time to get your money from a transaction.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The problem i have had with the post office and this is not one time is they have to have that cash on hand to pay off that m.o. and i have been told to come back later in the day and maybe they will have enough money.

That takes even more time to get your money from a transaction.

I have never tried to cash their MO's at the Post Office. I just deposit them in my bank account like any other check. I do use PP.......with caution. I have a separate bank account that it's attached to and that's all it's used for. As soon as I have money in PP, I transfer it to that account then withdraw it.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Not implying paypal is ALL bad. Just saying, if you are using it for firearms or firearms related purchases, especially with the expectation of that 3% for goods and services will protect you when a sale goes bad, you may be in for a surprise when they refuse to back your purchase or they freeze your funds.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
What protects you is you get to use your credit card. PayPal hasn’t ever helped me with ANYTHING but my CC always does. I’ll be looking for another way to pay for my used hobby items with my CC, but I have no intentions of that being with cash or money order if I can help it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Vandy321 all us “mods” “use it as it is the best option out there. The post you linked on the OP read as though this guy was hurting financially because PayPal froze his account. I presumed he had lots of money in it and that is why he was struggling.

I am like 5miles, I get it and withdraw it immediately.

I have never had a single issue and don’t personally know anyone who has either while using PayPal. I use PayPal weekly and will continue using them.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Vandy321 all us “mods” “use it as it is the best option out there. The post you linked on the OP read as though this guy was hurting financially because PayPal froze his account. I presumed he had lots of money in it and that is why he was struggling.

I am like 5miles, I get it and withdraw it immediately.

I have never had a single issue and don’t personally know anyone who has either while using PayPal. I use PayPal weekly and will continue using them.
Same here, If some random person I've never met besides on the internet thinks I'm sending them a money order, I'll pass. No protection for the buyer.

mcseal2

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They shut down my account because they flagged a scope purchase as a firearm purchase. I bought a used SWFA 3-15x42 and it caught their attention somehow. Once they shut me down they wouldn't even talk to me about it, just told me I was no longer allowed to use Paypal and my account was terminated. There was no asking to talk to a manager, no way to move forward or protest on my part. I used Paypal regularly before that for Ebay and forum classified purchases but that is now done. Bright side is I don't buy as much stuff because it's a lot more of a hassle now than it was before. I'm not a big Paypal fan anymore.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Paypal sucks as a company. BUT for 99% of purchases, they are legit and do protect you as a buyer and seller.

That's what "US MODs" are saying.

Don't be a dumb ass and use them for something they are clearly looking for.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
PayPal is clear that they don't authorize use for ammo, firearms, or firearm posts. Like any GIGANTIC company, they use algorithms to flag accounts that violate use terms. The stories I have heard are very infrequent.

I'll continue to use PayPal for authorized purchases. It's convenient. But I do feel bad for anyone caught in big company bureaucracy and idiocy.

KClark

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Have any of you actually read paypals TOS? I did, and there were exclusions for ammo, complete firearms and "assault weapons" but they weren't excluding gun parts.

In October of 2013 I used paypal to buy a used PSL barrel from a douche nozzle on gunbroker and it was fubar'd. I emailed him and he laughed at me and called me a sucker. I filed a complaint with paypal and initially they denied it based on 'as is' description so I called them. I explained why his ad was deceptive and the cs agent took a minute to read the ad and put me on hold for a minute. When he came back he explained he had been researching a PSL to determine if it was an assault rifle and commented "It is clearly not". After providing paypal with proof of return shipping they refunded my money. Pretty simple.

Ever notice how many million gun parts are on eBay and payment by paypal is required? Quite a few gun part websites accept paypal as a form of payment.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Any suggestions on a safe way to buy a gun from the classifieds? I would like to buy but its hard to put out that kind of money hoping on peoples honesty. I am pretty trusting but that kind of money makes me nervous.