PayPaL - Users beware!!

Chris76

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s just a sad world we have to worry about theft all the time. How we have to worry that goofs won’t us firearms for what they are made for. I bet pay pal would let you buy drugs online. Sorry just makes me mad how the innocent people in this world have to suffer for the disrespectful

Elkhntr08

WKR
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Maybe I’m just lucky, but I have a issue with a rifle that I bought on here. Contacted PayPal to file a dispute and it went very well.
Wife and I signed up for the Apple Card yesterday and now I can pay someone directly from my contacts list. Might be a option in the future.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I sold a spotting scope for like 750 to cover my rent (I was not what you would call a "saver"). They held the funds for 22 days due to a company policy that allows them to hold money if its a larger amount than has been received in the past. Luckily my bosses advanced me the money but the overall experience put a bad taste in my mouth. It's an understandable policy to prevent money laundering 22 days seemed excessive.

Its been said before but don't keep any balance in a PP account. Just transfer it.

Gutshotem

WKR
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Think I've told this story here before but here goes. I got a warning once for selling gun parts on gunbroker. A few months later I listed some glock magazines, again using gunbroker. In the description I added something along the lines of I'd accept PayPal, but it must be discreet because they aren't gun friendly. The day after I started the listing I got an email from paypal saying my account was permanently locked. I requested an explanation as to the lock and they replied with a screenshot of my gunbroker listing. Obviously one of their computer geeks conducted a stakeout of my GB account.

Good luck with any kind of dispute on a gun related product. The 3% is just a service fee because you arent gonna get any protection.

KClark

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Think I've told this story here before but here goes. I got a warning once for selling gun parts on gunbroker. A few months later I listed some glock magazines, again using gunbroker. In the description I added something along the lines of I'd accept PayPal, but it must be discreet because they aren't gun friendly. The day after I started the listing I got an email from paypal saying my account was permanently locked. I requested an explanation as to the lock and they replied with a screenshot of my gunbroker listing. Obviously one of their computer geeks conducted a stakeout of my GB account.

Good luck with any kind of dispute on a gun related product. The 3% is just a service fee because you arent gonna get any protection.

The lock wasn't for selling gun parts, it was for selling high capacity magazines, a violation of TOS.

Gutshotem

WKR
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The lock wasn't for selling gun parts, it was for selling high capacity magazines, a violation of TOS.

I'm pretty sure they were 10 round mags but they don't provide a definition as to what a "high capacity magazine" even is anyway.

*Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.

Now my wife is the attorney in the house, but I think I'm safe to assume that "including but not limited to" means that they can hammer you for whatever they want.

KClark

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't doubt that an over-zealous anti-gun minion would love to lock you down for selling butt plate screws for muzzle loaders but I think you sealed your fate when you added "something along the lines of I'd accept PayPal, but it must be discreet because they aren't gun friendly ". Sounds like you thought what you were selling was a violation of their TOS.

I'm not defending the ebay/paypal assclowns, just sayin' read the TOS and understand what their official stance on gun related items actually is.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Really sucks for the guy who was locked for selling a slotting scope.

Moral of the story, like i said, paypal sucks...user beware!

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I love PayPal. I just wouldn't be using it for items that break their terms of service.

I'm happy for you. To each his own. PayPal is a prime example of the liberal lefts, over-reaching, anti 2A agenda.

If they can ban a spotting scope as flagged, they can just as easily make an algorithm for any hunting related items and include that in whatever they're searching for.

Glad you like them, I dont. To each his own. Just glad this thread could help maybe save a few folks the trouble of being locked out of their funds or unable to be refunded for a purchase that otherwise should have been covered, say, optics.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
While I have had far more positive transactions than negatives it is always a concern.
Recently I’ve had a couple guys from Florida send me cash in an envelope.
I do a lot of transactions through the ar15.com forum. They have a very easy feedback system. You can easily view the forum members feedback and have some confidence. When something does go wrong it is taken to the forum court room. The mods get involved and if someone doesn’t hold up their end of the bargain they are banned. A bit more accountability on that forum than others.
While it is definitely geared toward the AR platform you can find all sorts of gear on their equipment exchange.
Only issue I have ever had on this forum I couldn’t get a response from a mod.

BrentH

WKR
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
EFT (for the high dollar stuff) or USPS certified money order for the $1k or less. Pretty certain it's a federal crime to use a USPS money order in a scam. They are trackable and refundable and watermarked, cost $1 per $1k.
Ever tried to work with the USPS on a lost money order that was sent via Priority Mail? Those guys are effin’ Idiots, not to mention the waiting period for getting your money back!

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Ever tried to work with the USPS on a lost money order that was sent via Priority Mail? Those guys are effin’ Idiots, not to mention the waiting period for getting your money back!

If you dont like it, then don't use it dude, simple as that. Same goes for EFT, same goes for paypal, venmo, etc. How hard was that?

Read the very first post. It was simply sharing another guys story of how PayPal hosed him. Take it for what its worth.

BrentH

WKR
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
If you dont like it, then don't use it dude, simple as that. Same goes for EFT, same goes for paypal, venmo, etc. How hard was that?

Read the very first post. It was simply sharing another guys story of how PayPal hosed him. Take it for what its worth.
And I was sharing how I almost got hosed by USPS. Guy I was paying ended up randomly receiving the money order 3 weeks after I mailed it, and the USPS still hadn’t been willing to cancel it for me. Said not enough time had elapsed. I had already paid the seller a second time via paypal. I lucked out that he was an honest seller, so I had him cash the MO and paypal me the money back.

Okhotnik

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Any suggestions on a safe way to buy a gun from the classifieds? I would like to buy but its hard to put out that kind of money hoping on peoples honesty. I am pretty trusting but that kind of money makes me nervous.

Ive purchased firearms and ask for a copy of seller's dl, his phone number, his address and name of his ffl before purchase.Aquick google search to verify info. I in turn forward copy of my dl. I call the ffl to ensure legit and give ffl my ffl's info. and talk to him before purchase.

Send usps mo via certified mail.

If they act hinky, no purchase

pretty simple and use common sense

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Didn't Ebay buy paypal????
Ebay used to own PayPal but they sold it off years ago. An anti-trust kind of deal. They could make money on both the listing fees plus the PP fees. Two entirely separate operations now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I love PayPal. I just wouldn't be using it for items that break their terms of service.
So do I. We're Paypal premier members ($50K+) and have had no issues at all. For those of us who live remotely it is a big deal to be able to send $ without endless trips to town over a snowy mountain pass.

"Leftist' Paypal has funded much of my hunting-related equip, (includng our memberships to the NRA a couple of years ago) but not guns, they're obviously on the no-go list.
Everyone here uses something that has been compromised by the Chi-coms, Progressives etc. Hell, "Meateater" is owned by liberal slime and I read pages from guys who couldn't care less.

It's all compromise; and we try to be prudent with our choices.

Broomd

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
By the way, that spotting scope hold that was mentioned earlier had nothing to do with it being a "spotting scope" ....it was about assuring trust with the seller.
The time/money 'held' was excessive for sure, but it had nothing to do with the actual item.