Overnight Tuna Charters

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the consensus on these? Looking to plan a trip with a couple of friends either out of CA or LA. I’m located in CO so kind of central to both. For people who have to done one or the other or both, how’d it go? What’s the best time of year? I imagine you could tie into some swordfish out in the gulf at night as well. Maybe some yellowtail out of CA? Any info would be awesome.

Legend

WKR
Following.

I lived on San clemente for a year. We had fun chasing yellowtail. I have always wanted to get back there with my kid.

Following.

I lived on San clemente for a year. We had fun chasing yellowtail. I have always wanted to get back there with my kid.
I want to fish that. Closer by far to me (NorCal).
If you have any boat suggestions..,.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You will be hard pressed to get a charter, but lots of open party trips are available. The Blue fin are going ok right now, but more like august thru November. Yellow fin start going in July. they can be fun because they are generally more In the catchable size, 20-70 lbs. The numbers for YFT can be crazy on a wide open bite. I have been on trips where we hits limits in about an hour. Limits for BFT are two per day. YFT are 5 for Mex waters, 10 for US waters. If you bring your own gear make sure to have fluorocarbon line for leader, 25-80 pound test. #4 thru 3 0 hooks. Either bait hooks or circle hooks.004-3.jpeg They also have rental gear at the docks. Crap gear.

Sorry I never used a charter. I had full use of a 28ft whaler with twin 250s. My job was to drop the biologists off along the island shore. But then I had to wait 8 or 10 hours 😃 .
Oh God, what a hellish job, I am sooooo sorry you had to endure that.

gbflyer

WKR
Fisherman’s Landing, San Diego. I’ve done 2 trips, a third scheduled for this Sept.

First time was on Topgun 80. Oh my God what a dysfunctional trip. The Cliff Notes: showed up for the trip (private charter) informed we weren’t going due to no chef…got in a fight with a deckhand on the last trip, chef gaffed the deckhand in the ribs, customers had to choke him out, arrested at the dock. So we were wandering around and one of our bunch approached a crack head that was fishing off the dock, said they had a friend who could cook. So they took her back to the boat and interviewed her, hired on the spot. We left 12 hours late, no refund. Food was horrible, boat was disgusting. One deck hand and geriatric co-captain ran the deck. Customers gaffing their own fish to the screaming and yelling by the captain over the hailer. Most of the guys were very experienced so it worked out. He can find the fish, no doubt about that. 20 of us brought back 7K lbs (said the captain) of bluefin that wasn’t bled, gilled, or gutted. Crazy experience. The owner runs the boat, and totally could give a shit.

New Lo-An on the next trip. Totally different. Professional crew, great food, clean boat, well taken care of fish and lots of it. Going back in Sept.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
So as far as quantity of meat it seems like CA is the move. I’ll look into New Lo-An. Might try to find some dates that work for me. Thanks for the heads up! Any other charter recs would be great.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
So as far as quantity of meat it seems like CA is the move. I’ll look into New Lo-An. Might try to find some dates that work for me. Thanks for the heads up! Any other charter recs would be great.
Look online at 976 tuna, they have daily reports and list all upcoming open party trips. Or check out specific boat and go to their web page. Tribute, Polaris Supreme, Pacifica, Aztec. all good boats, I like Polaris Supreme.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Beings you lie in CO. you will want to have your fish processed at one of the San Diego processors. Tuna will turn to mush otherwise. Ask me how I know. :(

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I hadn’t thought too much about processing. Figured just throw fillets in a cooler and vac seal at home. Thanks for the heads up.

The open party boats out of San Diego are pretty fun at times but there is a learning curve. they are not guided trips. having your own gear is very helpful but they do also have rental gear which is not bad. I do a couple trips a year and i always tend to load a up a freezer or two. There are a ton of great boats... as with anything else there will be boats that some love and some hate. its sort of funny at times. go on the bloody decks website and look in the california off shore forum.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Does your own gear include lures/hooks/etc? Or just rod and reel? Do you bring multiple setup (ie heavy rod for tuna, lighter rod for yellowtails)?

I run my own small boat out of NC's Outer Banks so I don't know much about fishing off of CA.

I don't understand why anybody would go for bluefin tuna if you can catch yellowfin. I've caught both and the yellowfin taste WAY better.

Typically we'll catch yellowfin tuna 25-50lbs this time of year, with limits of 3/person. Dolphin and wahoo are typically caught as well. Swords or blue marlin can be targeted too.

Charter boats are very comfortable (food and drinks provided) but cost $2,500-$3,000/day for a group of 6.

What is the cost of fishing overnight out of CA?

You will be hard pressed to get a charter, but lots of open party trips are available. The Blue fin are going ok right now, but more like august thru November. Yellow fin start going in July. they can be fun because they are generally more In the catchable size, 20-70 lbs. The numbers for YFT can be crazy on a wide open bite. I have been on trips where we hits limits in about an hour. Limits for BFT are two per day. YFT are 5 for Mex waters, 10 for US waters. If you bring your own gear make sure to have fluorocarbon line for leader, 25-80 pound test. #4 thru 3 0 hooks. Either bait hooks or circle hooks.View attachment 558321 They also have rental gear at the docks. Crap gear.
Thanks! To be clear, I wasn’t looking to charter a whole boat. There are just 2 of us…