Overnight Tuna Charters

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
The party boats seem to be way cheaper out on the west coast compared to the charters on the east. More heads on the boat obviously but they seem like they do well in terms of fishing? $1300 ish for 3 days is what my research is showing.

Buddy just went out of San Diego about 90 miles off shore in Mexican waters.

Got 100 lbs tuna and a smaller one. 3 day overnight trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If you are thinking lurers, Shimano has a nice line of tuna jugs. Flatfalls, colt snipers and such. Like I said everything from#4 bait hooks up to 3 or 4 O circle hooks#, 2 0 is always good. Check out rubber band sinker rig fishing. that would be for bait fishing, sardines. Bait size will determine hook size.

djewell87

FNG
I would recommend Louisiana, I'll send you a pm with my info and I can tell you my advice.

TxLite

WKR
I’ve done 2 trips out of Venice. Both times with Rivers End Outfitters. It’s been a few years but it ended up being around $500 a person for 6 of us with the lodging if I remember correctly.

Does your own gear include lures/hooks/etc? Or just rod and reel? Do you bring multiple setup (ie heavy rod for tuna, lighter rod for yellowtails)?
i bring everything... shit it looks like I unload a sporting good store out of my truck when i go.. multiple rods and packs with a ton of gear I never use. still end up using only a few hooks most times though.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
i bring everything... shit it looks like I unload a sporting good store out of my truck when i go.. multiple rods and packs with a ton of gear I never use. still end up using only a few hooks most times though.
That sounds familiar.

yfarm

WKR
Regularly fished the gom around deep water floaters 160 mile one way runs, 10 years ago 1 or 2 boats, during the week alone aside from supply ships. The Lump off La was killed by overfishing, same thing will happen with the floaters, kill enough fish off and the genetic memory vanishes ie Key West yellowfins. Last trip to Hoover, midnight friday night 15 boats backed up to the rig side by side with 10 boats trolling outside. Perdido 5 boats trolling. Few yfts, mainly blackfins. For my money go out of San Diego into Mexican waters or Central America. The tuna fishery seems healthier in the pacific. Have a novice friend that regularly catches bluefins out of San Diego on a small boat. The NMFS incidental bycatch bluefin fishery in the gom is a joke, bunch of chest thumpers think they are great fisherman catching spawning females in the spring on tackle only used to target large bluefin tuna. Talk about game wasting,600 lb carcass, cant sell the meat, generally large bluefins not flash frozen results in marginally edible meat.

Last edited:
Another recommendation for San Diego. I fished with the Aztec last summer and it was a great trip! I’d love to do it again this summer. We caught a ton of dorado and yellow tail.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 40

Rokbar

WKR
I run my own small boat out of NC's Outer Banks so I don't know much about fishing off of CA.

I don't understand why anybody would go for bluefin tuna if you can catch yellowfin. I've caught both and the yellowfin taste WAY better.

Typically we'll catch yellowfin tuna 25-50lbs this time of year, with limits of 3/person. Dolphin and wahoo are typically caught as well. Swords or blue marlin can be targeted too.

Charter boats are very comfortable (food and drinks provided) but cost $2,500-$3,000/day for a group of 6.

What is the cost of fishing overnight out of CA?
Do you charter or just fish on your own? Where out of NC do you leave from?

I’ll be on the Excalibur out of San Diego in two weeks, for a 3 day excursion. First trip like this. Have purchased some of my own gear, will rent a few items.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I’ll be on the Excalibur out of San Diego in two weeks, for a 3 day excursion. First trip like this. Have purchased some of my own gear, will rent a few items.
after things have settled down one you leave port grab one of the deck hands and pick his brain for how you will want to rig up. Maybe even go into the tackle shop at the landing and pick their brains.

I have done several trips out of H&M and Seaforth as well. I was the charter organizer for a 6 pack boat for a few years then went to a 14 person charter because of interest from fellow coaches/teachers/friends. If it is possible which it's not likely from the OP's trip plans, then a charter is the way to go. The number of asshats we experienced on the cattle boats (open party boats) was insane. A few bad eggs can destroy an open charter trip quickly.

Another simple suggestion is "fly lining" just pinning the sardine or bait fish on the hook and being able to cast it out letting the bait do the work. That technique is great if you can cast without bird nesting your spool. Saltwater fishing is a whole different level than freshwater fishing and I miss it greatly after moving from So Cal two years ago. Pray for good deck hands the good ones are a wealth of knowledge. Stay hydrated, take dramamine and tight lines!

Had fun on BFT, YFT, yellowtail, and dorado on the Pacific Queen out of san diego about 10 years ago. Fun trip. Not sure I'd travel there specifically for that but was a good time.

Do you charter or just fish on your own? Where out of NC do you leave from?
I fish on my own by trailering to either Oregon or Hatteras Inlet. Typically I have friends pitch in for gas/bait/ice. If you're local send me a PM.

Once again this weekend is another nasty blow so I'm making hunting plans for this fall.

JFK

WKR
The San Diego boats are a blast. I’d go in Sept or Oct. I’ve had days fishing down there during that time of year that I’ve literally had to put my rod in the rack and let my back and arms rest. Sun up to sun down pulling on tuna. That’s not normal conditions, but it happens.

Plan to stay a day or so afterwards and have one of the processors at the dock cut and vacuum seal your fish. They do a great job and it saves a ton of work.

TX_Diver

WKR
I haven't been out of LA but from what I understand it's a pretty different trip than SD.

Venice seems to be a lot of big center consoles and fishing at night. Looks like a blast. SD is a lot of bigger boats and some do pretty well. BD Outdoors is a good forum to look up reviews of recent trips on. Most of the boats have good reputations but there's always a few horror stories.

Wherever you go post a trip report afterwards!

LostArra

WKR
What’s the consensus on these? Looking to plan a trip with a couple of friends either out of CA or LA. I’m located in CO so kind of central to both. For people who have to done one or the other or both, how’d it go? What’s the best time of year? I imagine you could tie into some swordfish out in the gulf at night as well. Maybe some yellowtail out of CA? Any info would be awesome.
Talk to SDHNTR here on Rokslide